PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent list as of 10/29


MHOUSE
10-29-2003, 11:30 PM
Free Agent List (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1644909)

Players have until Nov. 9 to file or deal with their options. What would you say are Sox's top priorities?

1. SS Matsui, Tejada
2. SP Pettite, Millwood, Lowe, Anderson, Escobar, Ponson
3. bullpen Hasegawa, Benitez, Urbina, Timlin
4. centerfield Lofton?, Cameron
5. second base Miles, Alomar, Castillo

Overall it's got to be pitching and guys with speed, average, and defense. We've got the power aspect with Lee, Maggs, Thomas, Konerko. We need 1-2 place hitters and less holes at the 7-9 spots.

JRIG
10-29-2003, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Free Agent List (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1644909)

Players have until Nov. 9 to file or deal with their options. What would you say are Sox's top priorities?



1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. CF, SS, or 2B with a consistently high OBP to lead off (see Castillo, Luis)


6. A #3 or better starting pitcher -- Astacio? Anderson? Hentgen? Ponson?
7. Bullpen help
8. Filling in at SS and CF assuming Valentin is not coming back. I'm OK if he does

bc2k
10-30-2003, 12:57 AM
We need an ace pitcher and number 5 man to keep Shoeneweis out of the starting rotation.

Andy Pettitte would be nice.

Don't hiss at my #5 guy: David Wells. If the Yanks don't pick up his $6 million option, I'd like the Sox to take a run at him. I really don't understand why posters here hate David Wells. There was no doubt he was a gamer for the Sox.
-He was a big part of Mark Buehrle's success. Buehrle's career low ERA was in 2001 (3.29), the same year Wells was in his ear. I'd like to renew that relationship.
-He throws strikes and doesn't walk batters at all. 20 walks in 2003.
-He will replace many of the innings Bartolo threw for us. (Wells pitched 213 in 2003). Wells was quoted in 2001 saying he didn't care about his ERA, how hed rather eat innings in a blowout to allow the bullpen to be fresh for the next game.
-The guy's a postseason beast (when not on short rest like in game 5 of the WS). But as our #5, won't be needed on short rest.
-If there is questions about his health, he pitched over 200 IP last year and 7 times in the past 8 seasons. He won 15 games last year while only dropping 7. And Wells would be back with Herm Schneider. Cito would like this proven veteran; Ozzie would like such a gamer.

Ive read many posts on these boards about acquiring free agents for SS, 2B, and CF. I think a quality bullpen arm is more important since we don't have a respectable replacement in the 'pen like we do at those positions. Id like to see the Sox sign LaTroy Hawkins to setup Marte.

IMO, the order of importance should be: Ace starter, bullpen, #5 starter, CF. Under the Sox salary restriction, I like Alomar at 2B and Rowand in CF, and even Valentin/platoon at SS, as long as we upgrade at one of those three positions. A defensive CF who can leadoff would be ideal. By signing Pettitte and Wells we push Schoeneweis to the bullpen. Follow that with signing Hawkins, and the bullpen becomes a strength. Wright, Schoeneweis, Wunsch, Koch Hawkins, Marte.

Please excuse the length.

crector
10-30-2003, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
Don't hiss at my #5 guy: David Wells. If the Yanks don't pick up his $6 million option, I'd like the Sox to take a run at him. I really don't understand why posters here hate David Wells.

Funny how you combine a deep hatred for Big Frank with love for Dr. David Wells, MD. I will hiss at your "#5 guy." Wells is a loser who has repeatedly left his team down at crucial moments. Who can forget how before a World Series game started, he bragged about how he didn't need conditioning, then had to leave the game after only 1 inning because of his lack of conditioning.

As it happens, someone found Wells's grocery list and posted it to the internet. Check it out:

http://mofosports.net/themofo/showthread.php?threadid=3868&highlight=Wells

bc2k
10-30-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by crector
Funny how you combine a deep hatred for Big Frank with love for Dr. David Wells, MD. I will hiss at your "#5 guy." Wells is a loser who has repeatedly left his team down at crucial moments. Who can forget how before a World Series game started, he bragged about how he didn't need conditioning, then had to leave the game after only 1 inning because of his lack of conditioning.

As it happens, someone found Wells's grocery list and posted it to the internet. Check it out:

http://mofosports.net/themofo/showthread.php?threadid=3868&highlight=Wells

I can see why you'd make that correlation between my opinions of Thomas and Wells, but honestly I like and respect Wells without considering what he said to Thomas. But remember, Wells made those comments after his teammates asked Wells to say something - knowing that only a veteran could call out Thomas. So we can't deny Wells is a great teammate who listens and stands up for his brothers.

David Wells is overweight but he is a pitcher. He doesn't have to run the bases like fellow plumper, Frank Thomas. Wells never hurts his team with station-to-station baserunning.

Besides, I'd rather a pitcher be a little heavy than skinny. Wells's and Bartolo's physiques may explain why they can throw over 200 innings EVERY year. You can't say the same about wet-nap pitchers Juan Cruz and even Pedro, who visits the DL too often.

Nice of you to point out Wells's game 5 failure without mentioning his game 1 success. Torre's staff was overworked and none would have been rested enough to start game 1, but he chose Wells over all others. What does that tell you? Like Torre said, Wells has a rubber arm, able to pitch whenever necessary.

quote (http://http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/10/19/entertainment/main578845.shtml)
Wells's World Series game 1 start: "Wells did his part, limiting the Marlins to just six singles in seven innings and only two after the second inning. But he came away with his third postseason loss. His 10-2 postseason record and .833 winning percentage going in was the best in major league history, just ahead of Atlanta's John Smoltz, who is 13-4, .765." But hey, everybody has their own opinions crector, and this is what you call a 10-2 postseason record: "Wells is a loser who has repeatedly left his team down at crucial moments."

hold2dibber
10-30-2003, 08:04 AM
As I look at that list, I don't see much in the way of slick fielding, high OBP guys at CF of SS. In light of the payroll restrictions, I think the Sox no. 1 priority shoud be Luis Castillo. You can platoon Valentin and Graffy at SS (assuming you can re-sign them both for modest sums) and let Rowand have his shot in CF, because there aren't a lot of FA options at those positions that do much for me. But Castillo is exactly what this team needs - high OBP, speed, good with the glove. I like Robbie, but at this point in his career, he is a poor man's Castillo.

At least one more starter is needed. I think Ponson would be a good choice, if the $ isn't through the roof. I also like Hentgen, Batista and Anderson as back of the rotation guys.

And I agree that the bullpen desperately needs another arm. I would go after Hawkins with a vengeance.

I would guess it would take $6 mm/year to get Castillo, $7 mm/year for Ponson, $2 mm/year for Hentgen, and $3 mm/year for Hawkins. That's a total of $19 million.

Never mind.

crector
10-30-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
I can see why you'd make that correlation between my opinions of Thomas and Wells, but honestly I like and respect Wells without considering what he said to Thomas. But remember, Wells made those comments after his teammates asked Wells to say something - knowing that only a veteran could call out Thomas. So we can't deny Wells is a great teammate who listens and stands up for his brothers.


You have absolutely no idea of what you're talking about, do you? Wells made his jackass comments about Big Frank's medical condition on a radio show on The Score after a number of callers complained about Frank. I have never seen anything to indicate that any of the other Sox players felt that Frank was any sort of slacker, or that any of them had encouraged Wells to blather on the air.

Yes, we can "deny that Wells is a great teammate who listens and stands up for his brothers."

Deadguy
10-30-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by crector
You have absolutely no idea of what you're talking about, do you? Wells made his jackass comments about Big Frank's medical condition on a radio show on The Score after a number of callers complained about Frank. I have never seen anything to indicate that any of the other Sox players felt that Frank was any sort of slacker, or that any of them had encouraged Wells to blather on the air.

Yes, we can "deny that Wells is a great teammate who listens and stands up for his brothers."

I've heard rumors that Paul Konerko gave Wells a high five in the clubhouse, after he made those idiotic comments about Frank's medical conditions.

I wonder if either of these two maggots apologized to Thomas when they found out the truth? Unlikely, since neither one appears to have much inegrity.

Wells, afterall, was just on the heals of being run out of Toronto after badmouthing their fans.

kraut83
10-30-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE

2. SP Pettite, Millwood, Lowe, Anderson, Escobar, Ponson
[/B]

Anybody know what Ponson, Escobar, and Anderson might be asking for? It's safe to say that none of the above are a #1, but I'd be pretty excited with this rotation:

Buerhle
Loaiza
Ponson/Escobar
Garland
Anderson


GO SPARTANS!!!

Paulwny
10-30-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by kraut83
Anybody know what Ponson, Escobar, and Anderson might be asking for?

Escobar may want $8 mil

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam031029/mlb_tor2-sun.html

MHOUSE
10-30-2003, 12:06 PM
Buehrle and Loaiza at the top with Garland and Anderson at the bottom of the rotation is good stuff. We'd just need a legit #2 caliber guy to pitch third in the rotation.

maurice
10-30-2003, 12:11 PM
My priorities:

1-20. Acquire best SP and middle IF available (preferably Castillo and/or Matsui)
21-25. Other middle IF position, SP, bullpen, CF, bench