PDA

View Full Version : Colon trade revisited

MHOUSE
10-29-2003, 01:20 PM
So it seems that Colon will not pitch for the White Sox next season despite IMO our absolute best efforts to resign him. We all know that the Wells, Foulke, and Ritchie deals were terrible for us, but what does everyone think of the Colon trade by KW??

I think it's been one of his best. We gave up Liefer who never proved much here and the Expos let him go once he cooled off from a hot start. IIRC he ended up in Tampa Bay. Osuna was on and off the DL and didn't pitch in the postseason for NYY. Biddle saved 30-some games for Montreal, but had a 4.50 or so ERA in the NL. Colon was 15-13, but his ERA was solid and I was confident in our chance of victory every time that he took the mound. Even though he'll pitch elsewhere next season, I liked this trade very much and if we could have played better otherwise around Colon then we might have played in October and he might have accepted our offer. Good job on this one Kenny!

hold2dibber
10-29-2003, 01:25 PM
Also, don't forget that the Sox will get 2 high draft choices for Colon when he departs.

Brian26
10-29-2003, 01:28 PM
Absolutely NO regrets about this trade whatsoever, and if anyone says they regret it, they're crazy. One of the best deals the Sox have made in ages. KW gave us a chance, and the team just couldn't get it done.

34 Inch Stick
10-29-2003, 01:44 PM
The move helped to change my entire opinion of Kenny Williams. Even if I knew the results I would do that trade again.

Dadawg_77
10-29-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Also, don't forget that the Sox will get 2 high draft choices for Colon when he departs.

I am not sure that is a good thing, the Sox might take another college reliever.

anewman35
10-29-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
I am not sure that is a good thing, the Sox might take another college reliever.

Hey, if they take a college reliever and trade him for a useful player, ala Ring for Alomar, I'll take that.

faneidde
10-29-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
I wouldn't mind getting that reliever from Texas, Street I think his name is. That kid has some nasty stuff.

duke of dorwood
10-29-2003, 02:43 PM
That trade gave us a shot. No regrets here-I knew he'd be here one year-if he lasted to the trading deadline that is

Irishsox1
10-29-2003, 02:46 PM
I think it was a great trade. It's the Todd Richie trade that still tickes me off. It's just that they could have gotten so much more talent for Kippy and Fogg.

hold2dibber
10-29-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
I think it was a great trade. It's the Todd Richie trade that still tickes me off. It's just that they could have gotten so much more talent for Kippy and Fogg.

The Ritchie trade was the one truly horrible trade KW has made in his tenure. Although I didn't like the Foulke/Koch trade at the time he made it because Foulke has always been better than Koch, I wouldn't have guessed that Koch would be so thoroughly horrible last year - I though he'd at least be serviceable. And the final chapter has not yet been written on that deal - Foulke is a FA this offseason, whereas the Sox have another year left with Koch. If Koch bounces back in a big way next year, and/or if Cotts turns into a solid major league reliever, that trade turns out to be okay. If not, it's a frickin' train wreck.

Chisoxfn
10-29-2003, 05:17 PM

Yep, this deal is definately a winner. Figure those two picks and maybe they'll offer Gordon some type of arbitration which would put them in line to pick up 3 or 4 high picks.

There is no way Gordon would accept going to arb and if he did, I think the Sox would be more then happy bringing him back.

The Colon deal was definately a good one. This season was dissapointing, but I wouldn't trade the tone the front office set cause for once in my lifetime they legitimately tried for it all.

Chisoxfn
10-29-2003, 05:21 PM
The Ritchie trade was the one truly horrible trade KW has made in his tenure. Although I didn't like the Foulke/Koch trade at the time he made it because Foulke has always been better than Koch, I wouldn't have guessed that Koch would be so thoroughly horrible last year - I though he'd at least be serviceable. And the final chapter has not yet been written on that deal - Foulke is a FA this offseason, whereas the Sox have another year left with Koch. If Koch bounces back in a big way next year, and/or if Cotts turns into a solid major league reliever, that trade turns out to be okay. If not, it's a frickin' train wreck.

Were definately seeing eye to eye today. The only reason I thought KW made the Foulke trade was because Foulke was gonna be gone and in Koch they felt they would have someone that they could keep on the SOuthside for the next few years as a closer. Getting Cotts was just a plus on the time, now its looking like its gonna be the only brightside of the deal.

I just don't see Koch regaining his form, although I sure hope he can. If he really doesn't have any injuries, then I don't see his velocity coming back and I just don't think he can ever be what he once was, without that velocity.