PDA

View Full Version : How Depressing

valposoxfan
10-29-2003, 12:35 PM
Does anyone else have an extremely uneasy feeling about next season? Our good pitching staff is suddenly being torn apart, our best reliever is as good as gone, our minor league is decimated, JM II is about to be hired as manager, and our hall of famer is about to move to L.A. This offseason couldn't have started any worse. Sox fans were hungry for some big moves by KW after seeing the other team make such a big run in the playoffs, and everything is falling apart. It is so depressing to see this develop run in front of our eyes. I'm glad the park is being improved, but that isn't bringing the South Side a championship. Everything just seems so lacksidasical at this point, not urgent like it really needs to be. Doing just enough to get by. That's the Sox. This sucks.

Irishlawyer
10-29-2003, 12:41 PM
Things look grim, however, I betcha Frank stays and is a $6M bargain next year. Maybe Cito (who did have to deal with a bunch of goofs in TOR way back when) can light a fire. You cannot count KW out when it comes to making trades and bringing guys in. This glass looks half empty but can also be half full.

Rocky Soprano
10-29-2003, 12:43 PM
Frank is not going anywhere, rumors are he will exercise his option to stay. So Frank is here.

As far as the manager situation goes, you never know what is really going on. We might all end up being happy with what KW decides.

Our best closer is probably Marte and he is not going anywhere.
And who knows maybe Koch will bounce back.

I refuse to be depressed! There's a lot that can happen and I rather be optimistic...

valposoxfan
10-29-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano
Frank is not going anywhere, rumors are he will exercise his option to stay. So Frank is here.

As far as the manager situation goes, you never know what is really going on. We might all end up being happy with what KW decides.

Our best closer is probably Marte and he is not going anywhere.
And who knows maybe Koch will bounce back.

I refuse to be depressed! There's a lot that can happen and I rather be optimistic...

You're probably right. But automatic depression is what this team has given me. Things just aren't how I had expected them to be I guess. Maybe I was looking for too much.

washington
10-29-2003, 12:45 PM
I know it's early but I'm pretty negative also. Bart's gone, Garland and Wright are headcases, the offense is still slow and lumbering and GIDP-heavy, and there's not much in the minors that look to help in 2004. Gaston/Guillen/Bell don't excite me, and the only big name on the horizon looks like Sidney Ponson.

KW may pull the trigger on some good trades, but as of now there's not much for me to get excited about.

AsInWreck
10-29-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by valposoxfan
our best reliever is as good as gone

Where's Marte going?

Hangar18
10-29-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by AsInWreck
Where's Marte going?

heh heh, good one! I would Like it if KW surprised all of us.........
and got Tom Kelly here. Gaston may not be bad.....for the Sole Reason that Paul Molitor would Most Likely BE ON OUR TEAM
TOO

Hokiesox
10-29-2003, 01:30 PM
The offseason is 5 months long, and you're whining after 4 weeks? Give the team some time. I won't get depressed until February 1. In past years, KW has managed to make a fairly decent move (wells notwithstanding) somewhere in the offseason. Fear not fellow White Sox fans, the wheels cannot fall off until we play the Royals.

Oh wait, they're first again...dammit! :)

SpringfldFan
10-29-2003, 05:32 PM
Everything just seems so lacksidasical at this point, not urgent like it really needs to be. Doing just enough to get by. That's the Sox. This sucks.

Oddly, I don't think this would be the case had the Cubs not lost the NLCS.

SoxxoS
10-29-2003, 06:04 PM
Can we not call Cito "JM 2" before he even manages a game? Jeez.

minastirith67
10-29-2003, 06:22 PM
Why get depressed when nothing has officially happened yet? So far we've probably lost Colon...does that mean the Sox will automatically fail? Give this club some credit, please. You can start the whining maybe when the season actually begins, otherwise I don't see much use for it at this juncture. Let Frank make his decision and then you can be sad or happy or whatever. Reading these kind of polls based on mostly speculation is depressing.

The_Floridian
10-29-2003, 06:33 PM
Depression? Hah! I laugh in the face of it!

So we didn't get Colon. Big whoop. That's an extra 12 mil to play with for next season. KW has proven he's smart, and I'm sure he'll be able to grab us a quality starter.

I've been in Cito's corner very solidly lately. But it's not just because I think he's better than Ozzie. I honestly would take Cito over just about any other manager in the majors. The guy turned around a Toronto team loaded with veterans that lacked focus. He can, and will do the same for the Sox.

And Frank will be back.

Everything is going according to plan.

Foulke You
10-29-2003, 06:42 PM
KW doesn't strike me as someone who is ready to throw in the towel on this thing. He made some nice moves in the season and talked of "changing the attitude of the team, city, and fans" towards the Sox. We lost Colon and Gordon but I don't think they'll just sit on their hands. They'll be looking for replacements. You can also always count on the annual "Sox Fest Surprise Trade/Signing". It has become an annual event. 2001 we got David Wells, 2002 we signed Kenny Lofton, and in 2003 we got Bartolo Colon. I have a feeling a big name or two are headed to the south side. Here is hoping that it will be the right ones.

TheRockinMT
10-29-2003, 06:42 PM
The breaking stories for the Sox since the end of the WS kind of make me feel like...

I was going to buy a book on the power of positive thinking and then I thought why the hell care.

SoxRulecubsdrool
10-29-2003, 06:51 PM
We all need to relax for a bit and see what happens. These boards are actually depressing me. Let's see where we stand after some moves are made. And for Colon, what are we to do? Maybe we could offer the guy a billion dollars to stay. People were calling up the Score with idiotic solutions of coming up with more money to sign him. WAIT, maybe we could have a telethon and we could send in more money that way too.
I'm not going to be depressed until I see what we are going to put on the field.
Let's keep our chins up!
:gulp:

gosox41
10-29-2003, 09:34 PM
Does anyone else have an extremely uneasy feeling about next season? Our good pitching staff is suddenly being torn apart, our best reliever is as good as gone, our minor league is decimated, JM II is about to be hired as manager, and our hall of famer is about to move to L.A. This offseason couldn't have started any worse. Sox fans were hungry for some big moves by KW after seeing the other team make such a big run in the playoffs, and everything is falling apart. It is so depressing to see this develop run in front of our eyes. I'm glad the park is being improved, but that isn't bringing the South Side a championship. Everything just seems so lacksidasical at this point, not urgent like it really needs to be. Doing just enough to get by. That's the Sox. This sucks.

Since KW took over the show I get a depressed feeling.

Bob

batmanZoSo
10-29-2003, 10:10 PM
valposoxfan,

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2003/06/11/gGlTQbvh.jpg

"Well, you have to look at it from an organizational standpoint. We made some moves for this ballclub that really paid off and some that haven't so much. Bartolo's people were very creative. We had some creative talks. But we've got plan B, plan C and some organizational contigency plans. We'll do what we think is the best for this ballclub as long as it's organizational and creative."

TDog
10-29-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Can we not call Cito "JM 2" before he even manages a game? Jeez.

I thought "JM2" was a reference to Ozzie Guillen, who would be a rookie manager hired from the Marlins coaching staff.

I also thought being depressed about next year was part of my obligation as a Sox fan.

Jerko
10-29-2003, 11:17 PM
I think Cito is JMII with the laid back stuff. At least Cito has II WS rings. JMI can't even leave a bathtub ring. As for Ozzie, hopefully if he gets hired he has outgrown his "we don't owe the fans anything" phase.

steff
10-30-2003, 08:32 AM
Does anyone else have an extremely uneasy feeling about next season?

24th year in a row :D:

ohalloran
10-30-2003, 08:48 AM
"The frustrating thing is, we can't get discouraged."-D. Sydor 10-25-03