10-29-2003, 12:00 PM
Linky: http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/6786756

Ditch Jose and take a shot...

Hangar18
10-29-2003, 12:06 PM
Lets do this ..............Kenny??

Lip Man 1
10-29-2003, 01:05 PM
Sportscenter last night said the Mets are the front runner.

Not gonna happen. Stop dreaming.

Lip

MHOUSE
10-29-2003, 01:07 PM
I'll let the Mets have him if we can get Reyes. Throw all the money Kaz wants at him Kenny. Shortstop is near the top of our priorities list. Stop milking Jose's year 2000 and dump him all ready.

maurice
10-29-2003, 01:53 PM
Now that the Sox have essentially said their goodbyes to Colon, Gordon, Sullivan, and Everett, KW MUST make every effort to sign Matsui and/or Castillo. The Alomar/Valentin combo is weak and no ace-type FA pitcher is available. Even more money would be saved if either the Koch to the Mets or Maggs/Paulie to the Yanks rumors are true.

If JR simply pockets the money, particularly following a spike in Sox attendance and the cubs' playoff appearance, I expect Sox attendance to drop to HALF of the cubs attendance in 2004.

Hangar18
10-29-2003, 01:57 PM
Kenny Williams. I BEG YOU. SIGN KAZ

AsInWreck
10-29-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Sportscenter last night said the Mets are the front runner.

Not gonna happen. Stop dreaming.

Lip

You mean like how they predicted the Sox would win the Colon sweepstakes last year?

fledgedrallycap
10-29-2003, 02:09 PM
I'm not so sure I want Kaz now that the Mets are interested... :D: :D:

maurice
10-29-2003, 02:16 PM
At this point, I can't think of a reason NOT to try and sign him. It's not like he'll command A-Rod money. Most of his salary already has been saved by the Sox failing to resign other players. The rest of his salary will pay for itself through increased attention from Japanese fans. From a PR standpoint, it deflects Sox fans' attention from said failure to resign other players.

Pick up Matsui, Castillo, and Ponson, and the Sox are back in contention. Anything less and you risk sending out a worse team than the one that lost the second worst division in baseball in 2003 while the cubs advanced in the playoffs. The results are predictable. Don't be a fool, JR.

:reinsy
"I'm no fool! I would have gotten away with the White Flag Trade too, if it weren't for you darned fans and those fish in Lake Michigan."

Paulwny
10-29-2003, 02:26 PM
I've searched but couldn't locate any info on Kaz's previous salary in US dollars. Anyone know?

doublem23
10-29-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by AsInWreck
You mean like how they predicted the Sox would win the Colon sweepstakes last year?

Don't question the ultimate authority that is SportsCenter... They're sports media people; far superior in every facet of life than us "fans." Scoff at thee.

hold2dibber
10-29-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by maurice
At this point, I can't think of a reason NOT to try and sign him. It's not like he'll command A-Rod money. Most of his salary already has been saved by the Sox failing to resign other players. The rest of his salary will pay for itself through increased attention from Japanese fans. From a PR standpoint, it deflects Sox fans' attention from said failure to resign other players.

Pick up Matsui, Castillo, and Ponson, and the Sox are back in contention. Anything less and you risk sending out a worse team than the one that lost the second worst division in baseball in 2003 while the cubs advanced in the playoffs. The results are predictable. Don't be a fool, JR.

I completely agree, but adding Matsui, Castillo and Ponson would baloon the payroll to well over $70 million. It's not going to happen, unless the Sox can unload some salary.

batmanZoSo
10-29-2003, 02:37 PM
Ever since KW took over and landed Wells, which I loved at the time, I never ruled anything out.

I sure didn't expect to get Colon last year and we did. Now that his 13 million is immaterial, we can surely take half of that to sign Kaz. Jose was dogging management today, so things could change with him. He said they're not calling him back.

And for the love of God, if you're really not going to re-sign Maggs after 2004, trade him NOOOOOWWWWWW! If Soriano is available for the taking, you have to do it.

fledgedrallycap
10-29-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
I've searched but couldn't locate any info on Kaz's previous salary in US dollars. Anyone know?

Don't hold me to this because I am generalizing and making an assumption, but japanesebaseball.com had his salary at 35,000 MAN with a conversion of 1 MAN to 1,000 - with no variable, I assumed a YEN.

Using that, it's fairly simple

35 M Japanese Yen is roughly 320, 000 US Dollars.

duke of dorwood
10-29-2003, 02:40 PM
I bet Scott Boras is e mailing Kaz every 5 minutes

Paulwny
10-29-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
Don't hold me to this because I am generalizing and making an assumption, but japanesebaseball.com had his salary at 35,000 MAN with a conversion of 1 MAN to 1,000 - with no variable, I assumed a YEN.

Using that, it's fairly simple

Thanks, I didn't think it was so low.

Paulwny
10-29-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I bet Scott Boras is e mailing Kaz every 5 minutes

I think his agent is also Hidecki Matsui's agent.

DrCrawdad
10-29-2003, 02:52 PM

HERE, HERE!

cornball
10-29-2003, 03:21 PM
based on all reports he would be a great addition to the team.....an upgrade, but is he a grinder?

fledgedrallycap
10-29-2003, 03:27 PM

Correction,

350M Japanese Yen = 3.2 Million US Dollars.

I am unsure of Japanese salaries and if this seems appropriate, but sounds more true of a player of his caliber.

ScottyTheSoxFan
10-29-2003, 04:33 PM
sign him kdub! i like jose v, but matsui helps alot.

Upstart at top of lineup
solid defense
marketing standpoint - have you ever attended a game against seattle? - japanese fans flock to see ichiro
makes up for loss of colon (after getting shafted, kw comes back with big aquisition, keeps fans happy)

mikef1331
10-29-2003, 04:50 PM

I agree. This is the point I was trying to make on the Jose thread yesterday. His salary may end up being higher but the increase in attendence would make up for it. He's an allstar MVP calliber player amd a "grinder" type of hitter that KW wants. Sign Him Now!

StepsInSC
10-29-2003, 05:12 PM
Its so worth it just for the exposure he would get alone. Every single Yankees and Mariners game is broadcasted in Japan for the simple reason of the Japanese players on the teams. No one in Japan knows of the White Sox, I want that to change.