PDA

View Full Version : Thomas to Dodgers?

dpbyron
10-29-2003, 08:59 AM
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/291sd6.htm

"But a source close to the situation said Thomas heard Tuesday morning the Los Angeles Dodgers, who struggled offensively in 2003, covet the slugger as a potential free agent.

The problem is, with the Dodgers organization in the midst of changing ownership, no one can be certain whether the members of the organization interested in Thomas will have jobs under the new regime.

There's also the detail of Thomas being an everyday first baseman in the National League, which doesn't use a designated hitter a role the "Big Hurt" has grown comfortable with during his 14 seasons on the South Side."

soxtalker
10-29-2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by dpbyron
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/291sd6.htm

"But a source close to the situation said Thomas heard Tuesday morning the Los Angeles Dodgers, who struggled offensively in 2003, covet the slugger as a potential free agent.

The problem is, with the Dodgers organization in the midst of changing ownership, no one can be certain whether the members of the organization interested in Thomas will have jobs under the new regime.

There's also the detail of Thomas being an everyday first baseman in the National League, which doesn't use a designated hitter a role the "Big Hurt" has grown comfortable with during his 14 seasons on the South Side."

How are the LA Dodgers able to communicate such information to Thomas? Wouldn't direct communication be tampering?

dpbyron
10-29-2003, 09:07 AM
Wouldn't Dan Evans be able to find a "way" to contact him from his days in the White Sox organization?

hold2dibber
10-29-2003, 09:58 AM
(1) I think that would be tampreing.

(2) The Dodgers would have to beat $24 million over the next 3 years to get Frank to bolt. Do they have the payroll flexibility to do that?

(3) Would Frank want to be an everyday first baseman?

(4) Would Frank want to start over in the NL, where he doesn't know the pitchers, the players or the parks?

(5) Would Frank want to finish his career playing in a notorious pitchers park?

Hangar18
10-29-2003, 09:59 AM
I travelled to LA this past summer to see the Historic (though Completely Ignored by the Media) series between the Sox & Dodgers, playing each other for the first time since 1959, the last time the SOX were in the Series. There were A TON OF SOX FANS there, many travelled but many were from California. We all watched the players warming up on the field, and THOMAS
doing his stretching, looked Very Confident and Mean out there.
Was weird to See his hulking Figure, in the SOX GRAY, stretching around in Dodger Stadium. But I remember, it hit me that I could see him in a Dodger uniform next year. Only a team that was horrible enough, and dumb enough to throw $$$$ around (not to mention always coveting AL Players) would be able to
take Thomas' salary on. Im sad if this comes true

crector
10-29-2003, 10:01 AM
Look at the bright side. If Big Frank moved over to the NL, he'd be in a position to inflict even more damage on the Cubs and their chances of making the playoffs than he ever would if he remained with the Sox.

Eddie Gaedel
10-29-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
[B]I travelled to LA this past summer to see the Historic (though Completely Ignored by the Media) series between the Sox & Dodgers, playing each other for the first time since 1959, the last time the SOX were in the Series. There were A TON OF SOX FANS there, many travelled but many were from California.B]

i was at the saturday game when he hit the monster HR. KABOOM! it was a beautiful sight.

Hangar18
10-29-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
(1) I think that would be tampreing.

(2) The Dodgers would have to beat $24 million over the next 3 years to get Frank to bolt. Do they have the payroll flexibility to do that?

(3) Would Frank want to be an everyday first baseman?

(4) Would Frank want to start over in the NL, where he doesn't know the pitchers, the players or the parks?

(5) Would Frank want to finish his career playing in a notorious pitchers park?

1. Heck Yeah, You know the Dodgers Tampered already (but theres No Commissioner, so whats Bud going to do? Hes in the Dodgers back pocket already) Bud will do nothing
2. Dodgers are made of money and LOVE American Lg players
3. Yes he would
4. maybe
5. maybe. if hes thinking $$$$ he will. If hes grown up
and doesnt Think like Bartolo's $$$$, then he'll stay

Kilroy
10-29-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by crector
Look at the bright side. If Big Frank moved over to the NL, he'd be in a position to inflict even more damage on the Cubs and their chances of making the playoffs than he ever would if he remained with the Sox.

For the love of God, please get over the Cubs.

Hangar18
10-29-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Eddie Gaedel
i was at the saturday game when he hit the monster HR. KABOOM! it was a beautiful sight.

You were at that game too? too bad we didnt run into you.
I remember seeing that Swing....and the Ball Leaving...the...
Premises...... and I stood up and YELLED as loud as I could...
"DID YOU SEE THAT???!!!" pointing to the mountains where
the ball was heading. That was an Awesome Moment....
and Dodger Stadium erupting.....all the SOX FANS there (again, Ignored Completely by the media, not wanting to ruin the myth that only cub fans travel to see their team in other cities)
Roaring Out LOUDLY. THAT WAS TOTALLY COOL and one of the many Sox Moments I'll relive always......

voodoochile
10-29-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by dpbyron
Wouldn't Dan Evans be able to find a "way" to contact him from his days in the White Sox organization?

Sure by leaking it to a radio station and waiting for the word to filter down. :D:

Frank has to make the decision BEFORE he gets to test the waters.

Just stay, Frank. Even if the Sox don't appreciate you MOST of the fans do...

StepsInSC
10-29-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by crector

Don't NL West and Central teams only play each other like 6 times a year? The same amount the Sox and Cubs play each other?

RKMeibalane
10-29-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
Don't NL West and Central teams only play each other like 6 times a year? The same amount the Sox and Cubs play each other?

That's correct. As far as I'm concerned, the only positive that would come out of Frank moving to the NL would be his playing first base every day. That's it.

The Chicago White Sox franchise cannot handle too many more PR disasters, and losing the best player the organization has ever had would certainly qualify as one. The sooner Frank picks up his option, the better. The Sox need to begin to prepare for next season right now, because they have underachieved for the past three seasons. The only way things will get better is if they win their division and advance deep into the playoffs (i.e. World Series). The usually mediocre crap we've been treated to lately isn't good enough.

Hangar18
10-29-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
.....The Sox need to begin to prepare for next season right now, because they have underachieved for the past three seasons. The only way things will get better is if they win their division and advance deep into the playoffs (i.e. World Series). The usually mediocre crap we've been treated to lately isn't good enough.

RK is right. The SOX organization dodged a major possibly fatal bullet when the Goat rose to the occasion and denied the cubs a chance to go to the series. But that merely bought the SOX some time. Will they take advantage of the bit of Luck they just received? Or will they operate "business as usual"? (doing the same thing theyve done before, do just enough to get by)
Losing Frank would be a PR Blunder, just another in the long line the Reinsdorf regime has been responsible for. Equivalent to Clemens leaving the RedSox to become a BlueJay and eventually a Yankee. The guy will be a Hall of Famer and he did it mostly as a Yankee. how bad does that look for Boston?
This Organization needs a Major Lift, an Identity for itself, something a Revamped Park, a Kaz Matsui, and a 1st Place team can earn for itself

DrCrawdad
10-29-2003, 06:40 PM
From Lee Sinns Around The Majors report:

2) Frank Thomas has reportedly already made the decision to not exercise his option to opt out of his contract and become a free agent. But, the Daily Southtown reports that even though Thomas "has been telling teammates he already made the decision to exercise his option, ... a source close to the situation said Thomas heard Tuesday morning the Los Angeles Dodgers, who struggled offensively in 2003, covet the slugger as a potential free agent." But, since the Dodgers are in the process of being sold, it's not certain that anyone in their organization who is interested in Thomas will still have their jobs.

Subscribe at: (http://mail.baseballimmortals.net/mailman/listinfo/atmreports_baseballimmortals.net)

Win1ForMe
10-29-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

Actually, it's 2 yrs for $14M with a $3.5M (which you can bet the Sox will invoke) for the 3rd.

So he's guaranteed only $17.5M from the Sox.

MiamiSpartan1
10-30-2003, 02:56 PM
The whole story did not make any sense. Frank is not going to play 1st Base on a daily basis (in the National League) at this point in his career....

jabrch
10-30-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by MiamiSpartan1
The whole story did not make any sense. Frank is not going to play 1st Base on a daily basis at this point in his career....

Miami, watch what you say...there are people here who would kill you over that statement.

:D:

voodoochile
10-30-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Miami, watch what you say...there are people here who would kill you over that statement.

:D:

I don't know of anyone who wants to see Frank at first every day, but having him out there 80 games a year would be fine with me. That should prevent him from going into funks at the plate.