PDA

View Full Version : Free agent pitchers?

hsnterprize
10-29-2003, 07:33 AM
Okay...

Since it looks more than likely that Bartolo Colon isn't coming back to the Sox next season, who would you like to see wearing the silver and black next year? I've heard names like Andy Petitte and Sidney Ponson thrown around that K.W. is going after. However, there are other starters the Sox can go for. Personally, I'd like to see a 5-man starting rotation so Buehrle and Loaiza, if they stay (which I hope they do), won't get overworked.

So what say you?

faneidde
10-29-2003, 08:03 AM
I don't want the Sox to go after either Pettite or Ponson. Both are good pitchers, but I have a feeling that Pettite will get a stupid good offer from Texas that the White Sox would be foolish to match. I also think Ponson goes to the loser of the Colon sweepstakes between NY and Boston. I'd like to see the Sox pick up a 4th starter type of guy. This leaves Esteban, Buerhle and Garland at the top with a 4th guy who should come cheap and then Jon Rauch or (gulp) Danny Wright

Dadawg_77
10-29-2003, 08:33 AM
I voted for Pettitte but how can you have this list and not have Millwood on it?

thepaulbowski
10-29-2003, 09:09 AM
There is no way Pettite is coming to the Sox. He's either staying in New York or going someplace closer to home (Texas). He talked about this during the world series.

Procol Harum
10-29-2003, 09:27 AM
As the question is phrased the Sox SHOULD go after Petitte, but their ain't no way in the world the Sox would pony up enough money to sign him. For that matter, given the Sox' lousy reputation among the players as an organization to play for, there'd be little chance of him coming here even if they did make a decent offer.

Sidney Ponson = a poor man's (or perhaps, better yet, a skinflint's) Bartolo Colon.

Hangar18
10-29-2003, 09:33 AM
All I know, is Losing Bartolos GRIT, and Power, Veteran Experience, and Ability to Eat Innings is going to HURT US BADLY
if we indeed dont resign him. SOX need to go for a #1 type pitcher so we can have a big3 again...........We tried the other method before, just push everyone up in the Rotation. It didnt work before, wont work now

voodoochile
10-29-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
I voted for Pettitte but how can you have this list and not have Millwood on it?

I added him...

chisoxt
10-29-2003, 12:09 PM
I like Brian Anderson... He could be the type of 'under the radar guy' we could get, while saving money for other needs.

The_Floridian
10-29-2003, 12:35 PM
We will never get Pettite or Millwood so it's pointless to even speculate on thsoe two.

Ponson is a real possibility, and I like it very much. Yes, the guy had a hard time in San Francisco, but who doesn't after switching leagues in mid-season? The guy was on his way to a serious run at the Cy Young award before Baltimore dumped him, so he's obviously a monster on AL hitters. He is, in my opinion, the best pitcher we could possibly get, and I think KW should make a very serious offer to him.

Get him in the rotation to replace Colon, and our starting staff is mustard.

ScottyTheSoxFan
10-29-2003, 03:06 PM
IF indeed colon does not come back - KW should definitley go after a big name (Petitte, Millwood)

please dont replace colon with danny wright

Nick@Nite
10-29-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
All I know, is Losing Bartolos GRIT, and Power, Veteran Experience, and Ability to Eat Innings is going to HURT US BADLY if we indeed dont resign him. SOX need to go for a #1 type pitcher so we can have a big3 again...........We tried the other method before, just push everyone up in the Rotation. It didnt work before, wont work now

Here's a question for everyone ... what about Tim Wakefield?

THE PLUS SIDE
1. He'll eat innings. (202.1 IP -- every start means middle relief gets the night off -- and remember, the Cell is more pitcher friendly than Fenway, so IP would would increase)
2. He'd be a great #3 or #4 starter. (after ELo & Burly)
3. Miguel's young and has a great glove. (he should be able to handle the knuckler)
4. He wins. (seems to me he's under appreciated -- Pitt-days and in Boston)

THE MINUS SIDE
1. His current salary is $4M. (ouch)
2. He's not a free agent. (ouch again)
3. Every start means everyone Sox related (organization & fans) has to take 4 aspirin for the eventual headache that comes from watching a knuckle ball pitcher.
4. Would Boston be dumb enough to trade him?

But if KW got that dork-faced-GM-kid in Beantown to cough him up in a trade for PK, enabling BoSox to move Millar to whoever while the chowder-heads got something they need (in return for Millar)...

minastirith67
10-29-2003, 05:35 PM
I highly doubt that the Red Sox would trade Wakefield. That guy has been solid for them for a number of years in different roles. With whatever role he has been thrust into he has proven himself to be effective, whether that be closing out the game, or eating up innings as a starter or long reliever. Wakefield is a prized possession in New England, so he's not going anywhere.

Win1ForMe
10-29-2003, 06:11 PM
Should we also include trade possibilities such as Javier Vazquez, Livan, and Schilling?

They're not really free agents but should be considered to replace Colon's spot in the rotation.

Daver
10-29-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
Should we also include trade possibilities such as Javier Vazquez, Livan, and Schilling?

They're not really free agents but should be considered to replace Colon's spot in the rotation.

Curt Schilling would rather eat a milk bottle full of nails than play for the Chicago White Sox.

MRKARNO
10-29-2003, 06:54 PM
We should get pettite. We'll likely get Ponson

Win1ForMe
10-29-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Curt Schilling would rather eat a milk bottle full of nails than play for the Chicago White Sox.

But weren't the Sox supposedly in on Schilling before the trading deadline (that was the Hawk radio comment rumor, IIRC). We'll see I guess.

Daver
10-29-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
But weren't the Sox supposedly in on Schilling before the trading deadline

No they weren't,Schilling's veiws on Jerry Reinsdorf and the Chicago White Sox date back to 1994,when he was with the Phillies.When he agreed to waive his no trade clause for the Phillies he listed one team he would,under no circumstances,allow a trade to,and it was the White Sox.