PDA

View Full Version : World Series Coverage...What did Everyone Think?

Hangar18
10-28-2003, 05:29 PM
I thought Overall, it was pretty Terrible. TERRIBLE. FOX had all of their Producers, Production assistants, Writers and every Extra Camera available to them, focused on the CUBS and their stupid fans, and the Red Sox. The more the Marlins won, the more Apparent FOX was caught Red-Handed and with their Pants Down. There was NEVER, during the playoffs, an Angle catching or documenting what The Marlins were accomplishing.
We got tons of camera angles on cub fans that foolishly travelled to see them, cutesie stories from the bars in atlanta regarding cub fans, and interviews with Brave Fans regarding Cub fans.
I think it was Blasphemous, that, when the Marlins Won the Title, FOX was only able to use Just-recorded highlites of games 1 thru 5, and still never sent a Camera to Miami or florida, to catch what their fans thought or were Doing. It was Totally Obvious FOX (and admitted by their own Executives) that they wanted the Cubs in the series, and they gambled bigtime with their wall-to-wall Coverage of All things Cub to the point they COMPLETELY MISSED COVERING one of the Actual Teams in the Series this year. The Marlins. How Fox could screw something up like simply COVERING the WS is beyond me .....
I feel bad for Marlins Fans

Eddie Gaedel
10-28-2003, 05:53 PM
i agree completely, but i also understand why their coverage was so slanted. everybody, except florida and the sox fans, wanted to see the cubs win. fox was giving the people what they wanted to see.

thepaulbowski
10-28-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I thought Overall, it was pretty Terrible. TERRIBLE. FOX had all of their Producers, Production assistants, Writers and every Extra Camera available to them, focused on the CUBS and their stupid fans, and the Red Sox. The more the Marlins won, the more Apparent FOX was caught Red-Handed and with their Pants Down. There was NEVER, during the playoffs, an Angle catching or documenting what The Marlins were accomplishing.
We got tons of camera angles on cub fans that foolishly travelled to see them, cutesie stories from the bars in atlanta regarding cub fans, and interviews with Brave Fans regarding Cub fans.
I think it was Blasphemous, that, when the Marlins Won the Title, FOX was only able to use Just-recorded highlites of games 1 thru 5, and still never sent a Camera to Miami or florida, to catch what their fans thought or were Doing. It was Totally Obvious FOX (and admitted by their own Executives) that they wanted the Cubs in the series, and they gambled bigtime with their wall-to-wall Coverage of All things Cub to the point they COMPLETELY MISSED COVERING one of the Actual Teams in the Series this year. The Marlins. How Fox could screw something up like simply COVERING the WS is beyond me .....
I feel bad for Marlins Fans

I don't watch baseball for the touchy feely things, so I thought the coverage was fine. What were they suppose to do, have camera's set up at dance clubs in South Beach? Frankly I was getting tired of hearing about the miracle Marlins, how old Jack McKeon was, what a job Loria did, etc. I'm not quite sure what you were looking for them to report on in Miami, but last time I checked Miami isn't that big of a baseball town. I have in-laws that live in South Florida and they said there was excitement, but nothing huge. Remember, they have only been around ten years, it is not like legions of fans across the country hanging on every pitch. And most people who live in Florida, moved to Florida and already have loyalties to other teams.

Hangar18
10-28-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Eddie Gaedel
i agree completely, but i also understand why their coverage was so slanted. everybody, except florida and the sox fans, wanted to see the cubs win. fox was giving the people what they wanted to see.

See, I think thats what the Networks Wanted you to think, that they were Serving some higher purpose. Truth is, I think that may have been mostly made up. I also think, that if there were 3 kinds of Soda on the market, and you saw an Endless Barrage of Print, Media commercials hyping ONE of the brands as the best ever, Your most likely going to Buy that one certain hyped brand. I think most people were Guilty Of Buying what FOX was trying to sell. And if theres one thing I cant stand, is the MEDIA TELLING me what I should think .....

RedPinStripes
10-28-2003, 06:03 PM
I didnt watch much of the series because I HATE THE "JETER CAM"!

Everytime someone advsances they have to show him pumping his fist with that damn smirk on his face. Talk about someone who loves seeing himself on tv. He knows when the cameras are on him and eats up every minute. Someone destroy the damn Jeter cam!

Eddie Gaedel
10-29-2003, 09:57 AM
And if theres one thing I cant stand, is the MEDIA TELLING me what I should think .....

unfortunatley this country is full of sheep. :(:

Frankfan4life
10-30-2003, 12:23 AM
I can't help but agree with you Hangar. The media does try to control how we think and feel. It was a calculated move on FOX's part, and the media in general, to play up all things Cubs. Then after the Cubs lost, they went back to covering the WS as a sport, instead of a media event. As it is now, sports is almost taking a back seat to the big media story, which sometimes means making mountains out of molehills (Bartman). After all the Cubs lost THREE games in a row not just TWO.

The coverage given the Cubs was intentionally meant to excite the audience. They took more intimate shots of the fans in the stands and out on the street and in the bars. They focused much more on Cubs fans and to a lesser extent, BoSox fans, than any other team's fans. An interesting story could have been told about the thousands of fans who showed up for the Marlins playoff series. I would have liked to hear why they did not show up like that during the regular season. I'm sure their explanations would have been insightful. Likewise, I would have liked to hear perspectives on the series from some Yankee fans. After all, the Yankees drew more fans than any other baseball team.

Instead FOX pretended that the only fans worth covering during the playoffs were the Cubs fans. Their focus on them and their stupid curse was way over-the-top. FOX thought they had the story of the century and played it up big time.

I'm glad FOX got "stuck" with the Marlins and the Yankees. Perhaps if they applied the same type of coverage to every team in the playoffs, they could build enough excitement for whatever team made it to the WS. They only have themselves to blame for the low WS ratings they received.

:hurt LET'S PLAY HURT!

Banix12
10-30-2003, 03:59 AM
I think the worst thing about Fox is the announcers. I have never liked Tim McCarver, he has always seemed like the ultimate source if you want the obvious restated badly over and over again. Jeannie Zelasko is just incredibly irritating. She has the emotion of a robot and the voice to match. She's so bad she makes me look back at chip caray's tenure as pre-game host as not horrible. Kevin Kennedy is equally soulless. I don't have a real problem with Joe Buck, i think he gets saddled with all those promos and can't do much. I actually think the B-crew of Steve Lyons and Thom Brennaman is way better than anything fox puts out there as their premeire crew.

Worst line of the post-season. In game six of the world series (i beleive) they create and opening with Gene Hackman reading some bizzare intro. The first words out of Jeannie Zelasko after the intro ends are, "Runaway Jury is in movie theatres this Friday. We're here in Yankee stadium for game six."

A STUPID COURTROOM THRILLER GOT TOP BILLING OVER GAME SIX OF THE WORLD SERIES!!!

I long for the days of Bob Uecker's one liners and Bob Costas' longwinded ramblings on the history of baseball.

hsnterprize
10-30-2003, 07:56 AM
It seemed to me that Fox was more interested in who was NOT in the World Series rather than who was playing. Granted, I can understand why Fox would want the Cubs in the series...with all the media hype about the Cubs, it seemed like the whole universe was rooting for them. Nonetheless, when the Yanks and Marlins ended up in the Fall Classic, there were so many people who were let down, I couldn't help but think about what would happen if they did make it. There would've been an orgasmic response to anything Cub on the national scale...let alone a local one. We all know how the Chicago media fawned over the Cubs after the Sox choked in September. Imagine if the national press did what the local press did.

steff
10-30-2003, 08:29 AM
Face it, or don't. The Cubs do have a very large fan base all over this country. Is that the Cubs fault, or Fox's fault for that matter..? No. It's the blind leading the blind who have flocked to other parts of the country to set up house.

thepaulbowski
10-30-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by steff
Face it, or don't. The Cubs do have a very large fan base all over this country. Is that the Cubs fault, or Fox's fault for that matter..? No. It's the blind leading the blind who have flocked to other parts of the country to set up house.

Exactly. Why would Fox want the Marlins in the World Series instead of the Cubs? The goal of every business is to make money and it is much easier for Fox to draw an audience for the Cubs and/or Red Sox than the Marlins. Fox would, naturally, want the teams that have the largest fan bases in the World Series. And I don't think Florida's fan base in anything close to the Cubs. I don't understand why people are so concerned with the media "trying to control what we think." I'm a big boy and can make my own decisions without worrying about what somebody else would think.

steff
10-30-2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
Exactly. Why would Fox want the Marlins in the World Series instead of the Cubs? The goal of every business is to make money and it is much easier for Fox to draw an audience for the Cubs and/or Red Sox than the Marlins. Fox would, naturally, want the teams that have the largest fan bases in the World Series. And I don't think Florida's fan base in anything close to the Cubs. I don't understand why people are so concerned with the media "trying to control what we think." I'm a big boy and can make my own decisions without worrying about what somebody else would think.

No kidding. I find it extremely humerous that so many Sox fans... ehem Henry... seem to be obsessed with the media and their attention to the Cubs. Pay attention to your own team.

Hangar18
10-30-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski

OK. Good Point. YOur a big boy and can make your own decisions....Excellent. I dont think this rule applies to the rest of the Free World though. for the 2% of Fans that Think for Themselves, the other 98% believe the hype and Become Cub Fans. So THAT is why I get so wound up and concerned when FOX and other MEdia outlets continue to hype them. All its doing is CREATING MORE CUB FANS. Theres a MYTH I want to CLEAR UP RIGHT NOW. THERE WERE NEVER MORE Cub fans anywhere.

In the Beginning....... there was Media coverage and Hype. Which Begat the Cub fans. Which begat more media coverage to serve them. Which begat more cub fans, Which begat More Media Coverage, Which Begat More Cub fans, Which Begat Even More Media Coverage, Which Begat Yet even More Cub fans..........and so on, and so on ..........

steff
10-30-2003, 08:51 AM
OK. Good Point. YOur a big boy and can make your own decisions....Excellent. I dont think this rule applies to the rest of the Free World though. for the 2% of Fans that Think for Themselves, the other 98% believe the hype and Become Cub Fans. So THAT is why I get so wound up and concerned when FOX and other MEdia outlets continue to hype them. All its doing is CREATING MORE CUB FANS. Theres a MYTH I want to CLEAR UP RIGHT NOW. THERE WERE NEVER MORE Cub fans anywhere.

In the Beginning....... there was Media coverage and Hype. Which Begat the Cub fans. Which begat more media coverage to serve them. Which begat more cub fans, Which begat More Media Coverage, Which Begat More Cub fans, Which Begat Even More Media Coverage, Which Begat Yet even More Cub fans..........and so on, and so on ..........

Who cares what it's creating...? Personally.. if someone bases their fan loyalty on media attention I don't want their fairweather indecisive sorry butts at Comiskey anyway.
And yes Henry.. there ARE more Cubs fans in other parts of the country. I'm sorry but all those 60+ folks living in my grama's neighborhood in Melbourne, Florida didn't just become Cub fans in the last 5 or 6 years. And the retirees in Arizona as well.
You need to get some therapy for this obsession Henry. It's not healthy sweetie.. :D:

Hangar18
10-30-2003, 09:26 AM
I care what the Media is Creating, because, and its become more and more apparent as the years go by, that the more Cub Fans there are, The More the Sox Are Ignored because "...you have to admit, there are more cub fans in the country". Well how do you suppose that happened? This leads to Negative Perceptions of the SOX (which we see now) Which makes it harder for us to get people to want to play here (some of which is JR's fault) The Casual fan base, (which we dont want to admit, but EVERY TEAM needs to fill its stadium up) Reading the Negative Media Coverage towards the SOX, and the POSITIVE HAPPY and EXTRA coverage for the CUbs....who's park is this fan going to visit? If the CUbs get extra dominant coverage in the playoffs, who will the casual fan root for? Sure, I can ignore everything and say its Ok and things will work out, but when it sure is aggravating to talk to people all over the country, who are NOT cub fans, but sure know a ton about them, and are excited and tell me things Like "I hear the whole city is going crazy" and....." So you sox fans are even pulling for the cubbies"

thepaulbowski
10-30-2003, 11:56 AM
My great grandfather, who moved here from Germany was a huge Cubs fan. Why? Because, living in Michigan City Indiana, the only team he could get on TV was the Cubs. The Sox were hardly ever on TV. I remember as a kid, during the summer a buddy of mine would watch Cubs games on TV during the day in the summer. We rooted against them, but what about the other kids that did the same? Sox games weren't on TV as much, or we had to pay for them. You have to give the Cubs credit, they have marketed their product well to the whole country, not just Chicago. It's not by accident they have fans everywhere.

steff
10-30-2003, 05:50 PM
I care what the Media is Creating, because, and its become more and more apparent as the years go by, that the more Cub Fans there are, The More the Sox Are Ignored because "...you have to admit, there are more cub fans in the country". Well how do you suppose that happened? This leads to Negative Perceptions of the SOX (which we see now) Which makes it harder for us to get people to want to play here (some of which is JR's fault) The Casual fan base, (which we dont want to admit, but EVERY TEAM needs to fill its stadium up) Reading the Negative Media Coverage towards the SOX, and the POSITIVE HAPPY and EXTRA coverage for the CUbs....who's park is this fan going to visit? If the CUbs get extra dominant coverage in the playoffs, who will the casual fan root for? Sure, I can ignore everything and say its Ok and things will work out, but when it sure is aggravating to talk to people all over the country, who are NOT cub fans, but sure know a ton about them, and are excited and tell me things Like "I hear the whole city is going crazy" and....." So you sox fans are even pulling for the cubbies"

You need help.

hsnterprize
10-30-2003, 06:37 PM
Steff...Hangar...go to your corners and don't come out until I ring the bell. Okay now...let's get some cool heads here. We've all been badgered by tons of Cub-this and Cub-that for so long that I think it's starting to turn us into werewolves or something. I'm not sure if there's a full moon out there tonight, but I'll check as soon as I'm done. Halloween's tomorrow, and I don't want any monsters creeping on my Sox message boards.

You both have a point...since there is so muich media coverage of the Cubs across the country, there are Cub fans across the country. Like Steff said, whether we like it or not, the Cub marketing machine has done very well in promoting their product to a national audience. Too many Chicagoans wouldn't want anything to do with the Cubs if they were losing like they do most of the time, but tourists and such will fill Wrigley Field day and night and make it look like the Cubs are always a big draw. Remember...it wasn't always this way, folks. I still remember the days when only 3,000 people would bother to show up to Wrigley on a given day.

We can sit here and debate whether or not the media is creating this hype about loving the Cubs. I personally think the press and other factors are creating the trend of massive Cub love on a variety of ways...WGN Superstation, the Cub's PR department constantly reminding us of "beautiful Wrigley Field", the whole "lovable loser" trend, and others. Bottom line...when a team gets a lot of exposure, whether win or lose, they'll get a big following. And when a team like the Cubs is winning...we've all seen what happened. In fact, a fellow staffer at the radio station I work at says she's "thinking about" switching from being a Sox fan to a Cubs fan. I asked her why, and she said she was across the street from Wrigley during game 7 of the NLCS on assignment, and she was amazed by the large amount of partygoers and supporters outside the stadium. She says there wouldn't be as much of a "party atmosphere" outside the Cell if the Sox were in the same situation. I talked with her for a little bit, and I hope I got her thinking. There's nothing like having fun at a party, but being a Cubs fan isn't like being a Sox fan...we all know that. I told her that we Sox fans actually give a rip about the game, while a large portion of Cub fans are only interested in the party. We all agree the Sox need the "casual fan" to help fill our ballpark...but let's face it...the Cubs have set the standard in appealing to the "casual fan" who is more interested in fluff than substance. And we all know it'll take a lot for the Sox to reverse that trend...if they're willing to make the effort to do so.

There's no need to get on each other in this case. You're both right to a certain degree. We should be more concerned about how our team is doing and accept the fact the Cubs do have a larger fan base. On the other hand, the media is helping to make more and more "unsuspecting people" drink Cubbie Kool-Aid with every story about a long-suffering fan, a family that decorates their basement to look like a Cubs sports bar, an idiot who cuts work to follow the Cubs on the road, only to get fired and get job offers from hiring Cubs fans, and other "overkill" stories that really get under our skin.

The Sox need to make it a point to get as many people to consciously choose to cheer for them instead of allowing people to blindly follow the Cubbies. If they don't, then all the in-fighting amongst us Sox fans won't change their minds either. Okay kids...it's time for round 2...DING DING DING DING DING!!!!!!!!!

steff
10-30-2003, 09:52 PM
hsnterprize,

Nice post. However, I don't care what the Cubs do. I don't pay attention the the news about them, how they play, who plays for them, etc, etc...

I pay attention to the White Sox. They are the team I root for. I am not obsessed with the negative media coverage. Those morons have as much of an obsession problem as a poster here... ehem, ehem...

Once again.. I root for the White Sox. They are the team I support. Worrying about that other team, and what the media reports on them is, in a word, stupid.

duke of dorwood
10-30-2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I didnt watch much of the series because I HATE THE "JETER CAM"!

Everytime someone advsances they have to show him pumping his fist with that damn smirk on his face. Talk about someone who loves seeing himself on tv. He knows when the cameras are on him and eats up every minute. Someone destroy the damn Jeter cam!

I know the feeling-the Warren Sapp cam is football's answer to the Jeter Cam

Frankfan4life
10-31-2003, 12:22 AM
Your argument doesn't hold water because the team with the LARGEST fan base WAS in the WS. THE YANKEES! Even the Giants drew more fans than the Cubs and they're in a smaller market. Did you hear anything about Fox wanting a Giants/Yankees WS? That would have been the ultimate "large fan-base" series of all the teams that were in the playoffs this year.

Now you have to ask yourself why you forgot that fact. Maybe because the MEDIA didn't remind you about it over a thousand times.

The point is the media does imprint something on your mind. You don't know about all the die-hard Yankee fans in Florida because Fox didn't bother to cover any of them. So, therefore, you don't think about them or realize they exist. There was also no coverage of Marlins fans in Chicago of which I'm sure there were many.

You know the Cubs have a large fan base because the media made an effort to showcase them. That does not mean that there are not Yankee fans all over the place too. I bet you were also down on Atlanta fans because they didn't buy playoff tickets, yet Braves fans drew almost 2.5 million this year. That's not bad team support from a small city.

I'm not knocking Cubs fans. I'm knocking the media. Whether you believe it or not, they affected how you thought about the playoffs. Most people react to what they observe not to what was omitted.

It's not about fan bases, it's about hype. Fox really wanted an interesting story not just a WS. Baseball is a game not just a media event. Either you need the hype to watch the WS or you watch it because you love the sport. What hype did the over 2 million fans who attended Orioles games need this year?

If Fox would cover ALL of the teams in the playoffs with as much attention as they gave the Cubs and BoSox, it WILL make a difference in how you view these teams and it's also the fair thing to do for their fans.

:hurt Thanks Big Hurt!

39thandWallace
10-31-2003, 04:13 AM
McCarver sucks!
This guy is the John Madden of baseball. Saying the same obvious things over and over again, enough already!

Hangar18
10-31-2003, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Frankfan4life

Now you have to ask yourself why you forgot that fact. Maybe because the MEDIA didn't remind you about it over a thousand times.

The point is the media does imprint something on your mind. You don't know about all the die-hard Yankee fans in Florida because Fox didn't bother to cover any of them. So, therefore, you don't think about them or realize they exist. There was also no coverage of Marlins fans in Chicago of which I'm sure there were many.

You know the Cubs have a large fan base because the media made an effort to showcase them.

I'm not knocking Cubs fans. I'm knocking the media. Whether you believe it or not, they affected how you thought about the playoffs. Most people react to what they observe not to what was omitted.

It's not about fan bases, it's about hype. Fox really wanted an interesting story not just a WS. Baseball is a game not just a media event. Either you need the hype to watch the WS or you watch it because you love the sport. What hype did the over 2 million fans who attended Orioles games need this year?

If Fox would cover ALL of the teams in the playoffs with as much attention as they gave the Cubs and BoSox, it WILL make a difference in how you view these teams and it's also the fair thing to do for their fans.

:hurt Thanks Big Hurt!

Thanks for the Posts HSN and FrankFan

hsnterprize
10-31-2003, 09:13 AM
"It's not about fan bases, it's about hype. Fox really wanted an interesting story not just a WS. Baseball is a game not just a media event. Either you need the hype to watch the WS or you watch it because you love the sport. What hype did the over 2 million fans who attended Orioles games need this year?"

Don't...don't...don't believe the hype...

YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH BOYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!