PDA

View Full Version : Bye bye Bart


MHOUSE
10-28-2003, 12:35 PM
Colon files for free agency and thus files to play for anyone but the White Sox. He blows off 3 years $36 million so he's out of our reach I think. The article also says we're having trouble re-signing Flash? Nobody wants to stick around.....

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1648388)

cheeses_h_rice
10-28-2003, 12:48 PM
It's all about the Benjamins, baby.

(Unfortunately.)

:(:

moochpuppy
10-28-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Colon files for free agency and thus files to play for anyone but the White Sox. He blows off 3 years $36 million so he's out of our reach I think. The article also says we're having trouble re-signing Flash? Nobody wants to stick around.....

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1648388)

I'd say to Colon, "Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.", but with the size of his, how could the door miss?

Huisj
10-28-2003, 01:21 PM
does him filing actually make it so that's not possible for the sox to sign him?

Dadawg_77
10-28-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
does him filing actually make it so that's not possible for the sox to sign him?

I don't believe so, the Sox have to offer Colon arbitration (nov 1st deadline???) If the Sox don't offer Colon arbitration then he can not sign with them til May 1st. If they do offer him arbitration then the Sox can talk with Colon, but Colon may accept their offer, ie Greg Maddux last year. I think that is how the system works.

bestkosher
10-28-2003, 01:25 PM
What if he recieves less than he expected. I think it is more his agent than bartolo pursuing this one. The market is drying up off late and unless george really wants Bartolo which is iffy he may come back to us for cheapers

SoxxoS
10-28-2003, 01:32 PM
Can we get Pettite or Millwood instead?

Dadawg_77
10-28-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by bestkosher
What if he recieves less than he expected. I think it is more his agent than bartolo pursuing this one. The market is drying up off late and unless george really wants Bartolo which is iffy he may come back to us for cheapers

Won't happen, Bartolo will accept arbitration for a one deal, then might work out something for a longer term.

SoxOnTop
10-28-2003, 01:51 PM
With so few top shelf pitchers on the market, I can almost guarentee that Colon gets the cash he's looking for.

I think Pettite would be a great target for the Sox. His experience alone would help the rest of the staff.

But as good as Milwood has been you have to stay away from NL pitchers. Can you name anyone other than Pedro who successfully went from the NL to the AL and maintained their level of excellence?

moochpuppy
10-28-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
Can you name anyone other than Pedro who successfully went from the NL to the AL and maintained their level of excellence?

Todd Ritche? Jaime Navarro?

How about Fartolo himself?
Nolan Ryan?
David Cone?

SoxOnTop
10-28-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
Todd Ritche? Jaime Navarro?

How about Fartolo himself?
Nolan Ryan?
David Cone?

Come on. Colon only spent 1/2 a season in the NL.

Would you put Milwood in the class of Cone and Ryan?? Thats a pretty short list.

moochpuppy
10-28-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
Come on. Colon only spent 1/2 a season in the NL.

Would you put Milwood in the class of Cone and Ryan?? Thats a pretty short list.

You asked to name names. And I'm sure I could come up with more except like the list, my memory is the same.

BTW, no, I wouldn't put Millwood in that group.

34 Inch Stick
10-28-2003, 03:43 PM
I've never understood how fans can blame a player for accepting a contract that pays ONLY a few more million. I don't care if the contract is for 15 million a year. A million dollars is a lot of money. If the money is equal or substantially equal and a player rejects your team then you have a complaint.

pappy
10-28-2003, 05:59 PM
if 36 mil aint enough i give up.......hey we can always bring back todd ritchie!!!!! :D:

TDog
10-28-2003, 07:39 PM
Considering the poor start MB got off to this year after turning down big Sox money, Colon better watch his mojo. If he does leave, I would love to see him get off to such a bad start that people like Gammons start talking about how teams shouldn't outbid the Sox for pitching.

voodoochile
10-28-2003, 07:40 PM
If he accepts the Sox arbitration offer, I would be the Sox lowball the long term offer because they will have him locked in for 1 year no matter what.

Lip Man 1
10-28-2003, 09:57 PM
The Tribune web site has a story on the Colon situation from the AP. The story quotes Williams as saying he's incredibly "disappointed" and that the Sox have to move on to get a team in place for 2004.

It's over...the Sox are not going one penny higher. Williams is quoted as saying "hey...we tried."

Now with the 'deferred" money that has been rumored to have been a part of the offer you can wonder how hard the Sox actually tried but that's another issue.

Lip

luvsox56
10-29-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by pappy
if 36 mil aint enough i give up.......hey we can always bring back todd ritchie!!!!! :D:

Bite your tongue...or at least use 'purple'!!!!