PDA

View Full Version : Tribune: Announcement Expected Next Week + More

Unregistered
10-28-2003, 12:38 AM
From the Trib:
Sandy Gives Ozzie his Vote (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-031027sox,1,4792422.story?coll=cs-home-headlines) Alomar, a pending free agent who hopes to re-sign with the Sox, knows Guillen has doubters because of his age (39) and absence of managerial experience.

But Alomar, who talks to Guillen every couple of weeks, believes Guillen could thrive managing his old team.

"Ozzie was always a guy who played the game with his brain," Alomar said. "A lot of people think of him as funny or screaming all the time, but when it's time to play the game he's serious. He knows what he's doing."

And in the clubhouse?

"He'll let you know whenever you're wrong," Alomar said. "Sometimes you might need somebody like that."

Although Alomar endorses Guillen, the second baseman said he would also be happy to see Cito Gaston get the job. Gaston, who has met twice with Sox officials to discuss the job, managed Alomar in Toronto from 1991-95.

"He's like a dad to me," Alomar said. "Everyone who played for him respects him a lot."

Gaston remains the solid favorite for the job. With Gaston said to be vacationing in Barbados, an announcement is expected early next week.

That timetable would allow the Sox to accomplish their goal of having a manager in place by their organizational meetings, which open Nov. 6. Guillen will be the last candidate in the first round of interviews.

All indications are the Sox won't seek to meet with Yankees third-base coach Willie Randolph. Randolph has interviewed 11 times for major-league managerial jobs. The last thing the Sox want to do is bring him in for an interview if they're not serious about hiring him.
A few other tidbits in the article as well...

nasox
10-28-2003, 12:42 AM
im glad they are interviewing him. Personally im really not sure about ozzie or cito. Ozzie seems to be campaigning which cost Wally Backman a shot at the position but Cito is just too relaxed, layed back (moreso than JM) from what i have heard and known. I guess only time will tell.

npdempse
10-28-2003, 02:18 AM
I'm more tickled about this than anything--

After being paid $8 million last season—almost entirely by the Mets—Alomar has indicated he might be willing to re-sign for less than half of that.

Say what you will, I think Robbie's going to be grooving if given the chance to spend a whole season in the AL central again.

34 Inch Stick
10-28-2003, 10:58 AM
For some reason Alomar is playing his FA status as if he is in the position of power. When he is unhappy he hits .260 with no power and when he is happy he hits .260 with no power. In addition many GM's will know of the bad attitude label the Mets attached to him.

Of course Robbie will be willing to sign for less than 4 million--becasue he will not be playing baseball next year if he doesn't. Also .260 hitters are not a real consideration when thinking about hiring a manager.

If the Sox offer him 2 million and rehire Bevington Alomar should jump at the offer.

Clarkdog
10-28-2003, 12:27 PM
It seems that Alomar is campaining for just about anyone to take on the skipper's job. When Gaston was first mentioned, Alomar was the first one quoted on his "fatherlike" relationship and how much he loved playing for him, and how he would look at the Sox as his preferred place to re-sign. The same goes for Guillen now.

Methinks that Alomar just wants a two year deal and he knows the only place he can get it here so he better be campaining for whomever the orgainzation wants to bring in.

guillen4life13
10-28-2003, 10:59 PM
I think Alomar is guilty of speaking his mind. Nothing worse. He's friends with Ozzie, and apparently they've talked about what managerial policies he'll have. He seems to think that Ozzie would work if he were put given the job. He also has firsthand experience with Cito, and thinks that he would also be very good fit, and would command a great amount of respect in the clubhouse.

Also, the comments he said about Cito were before Ozzie emerged as a candidate.