PDA

View Full Version : Robin Ventura to return?

xil357
10-27-2003, 09:25 PM
Rockin' Robin is a free agent. He won't command megastar dollars. He can play 3B, 1B and hits left-handed. He is a fan favorite and a positive clubhouse presence.

Is there any chance that the Sox would bring him back to play 1B and DH, and spell (and more importantly tutor) Crede at 3B? Would he consider coming back at a price the Sox would pay?

More significantly, should the Sox pursue Ventura as an alternative to Carl Everett and Brian Daubach, and/or if Frank does not pick up his option or if the Sox find a willing suitor for Paul Konerko and his albatross contract.

Discuss...

Brian26
10-27-2003, 09:37 PM
I like it. What if we use Robin in the DH slot and sparingly at 1b/3b?

john2499
10-27-2003, 09:39 PM
Bring him home!
He should end his career where it started!

faneidde
10-27-2003, 10:03 PM
I couldn't agree more. Bring Robin back to the south side.

WhiteSox = Life
10-27-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by xil357
Rockin' Robin is a free agent. He won't command megastar dollars. He can play 3B, 1B and hits left-handed. He is a fan favorite and a positive clubhouse presence.

Is there any chance that the Sox would bring him back to play 1B and DH, and spell (and more importantly tutor) Crede at 3B? Would he consider coming back at a price the Sox would pay?

More significantly, should the Sox pursue Ventura as an alternative to Carl Everett and Brian Daubach, and/or if Frank does not pick up his option or if the Sox find a willing suitor for Paul Konerko and his albatross contract.

Discuss...

Xil, nice call. Don't forget he can pinch-hit with the bases loaded.

:smile:

guillen4life13
10-27-2003, 10:12 PM
I love Robin, but I don't know how good that would be for the Sox as a team. Last offseason, I actually proposed that the Sox find a way to get Ventura back here. This year, I think Crede should have full playing time at 3B.

I wouldn't complain if they brought back Robin though. He would help Crede out, both defensively and offensively. I could just see this as another potential conflict in the clubhouse, and that's not something we want right now, considering how much we've had over the past few years already.

Deadguy
10-27-2003, 10:35 PM
Depends on what kind of role he's looking for.

He still may want to play full time, and that just wouldn't be possible on the Sox.

Plus it also depends on how much money he's going to command. If he wants anything more than a million, then it's a waste of money and a roster spot.

ChiWhiteSox1337
10-27-2003, 10:56 PM
thank god we don't have JM anymore or we would see a Crede/Ventura/Valentin/Jimenez(if we still had him) 3b, think of all the tinkering that is possible!

MRKARNO
10-27-2003, 11:02 PM
How does graffanino fit into this plan?

nasox
10-27-2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
How does graffanino fit into this plan?

graf is a FA and therefore may not have to fit in because he may not be with the club by next year

gosox41
10-28-2003, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by xil357

Discuss...

I like Robin, but see no reason to bring him back. All it would lead to is more tinkering and his best days are behind him. Maybe the Sox should 1. stop living in the past and 2. sign a FA that is in the prime of his career instead of one on the downside.

Bob

TheRockinMT
10-28-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Deadguy
Depends on what kind of role he's looking for.

He still may want to play full time, and that just wouldn't be possible on the Sox.

Plus it also depends on how much money he's going to command. If he wants anything more than a million, then it's a waste of money and a roster spot.

This is the bottom line I think. Ventura is and always has been one of my favorites, but I don't see him agreeing to play part-time. He still can start and I think that is what he would want to do, if when signs with any team. I would love to see him back with us though.

dickallen15
10-28-2003, 11:32 AM
He was a fine player, but now he is toast.

Dadawg_77
10-28-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
I like Robin, but see no reason to bring him back. All it would lead to is more tinkering and his best days are behind him. Maybe the Sox should 1. stop living in the past and 2. sign a FA that is in the prime of his career instead of one on the downside.

Bob

You rarely if ever sign a FA at their peak of their career, position players in general peak at 27, thus are declining when they hit the FA market.

Dadawg_77
10-28-2003, 01:15 PM
Robin platooning with Paul 1B if the Sox still want Paul in there for his glove. Paul can not hit righties but can smoke lefties. Crede has the same splits as Konerko but is young enough you don't want to platoon him. But Robin could give Joe a couple days off as needed.

hold2dibber
10-28-2003, 01:22 PM
I started an almost identical thread about a month ago. I think Robin would be a great fit in a reserve role. Left handed pinch hitter off the bench and can play 1st and 3rd to on occassion. He is not going to command big $ on the free agent market, and is not likely to get a starting job anywhere either, IMHO. I would think he'd be interested in finishing his career here.

RedPinStripes
10-28-2003, 05:09 PM
Someone will offer Robin more then he would get from the Sox to play full time. He's not coming back.

steff
10-28-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Someone will offer Robin more then he would get from the Sox to play full time. He's not coming back.

Not only that.. but after the way he was screwed at the end of his time here.. I doubt he'd want to come back. The last time I talked to Stephanie - which was at the Yanks/Mets WS she said she would never want to live in Chicago again. I know he would love to play in California where they live.

crector
10-28-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by steff
Not only that.. but after the way he was screwed at the end of his time here.. I doubt he'd want to come back. The last time I talked to Stephanie - which was at the Yanks/Mets WS she said she would never want to live in Chicago again.

I don't remember him being screwed. What specifically are you talking about?

longshot7
10-28-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

I don't think so. I saw him play for the Dodgers last year and he is NOT a full-time player anymore. That said - a part-time position here - would be a great idea - and good for p.r. - which the Sox desperately need. I was quite upset with the way they handled his departure.

gosox41
10-28-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
You rarely if ever sign a FA at their peak of their career, position players in general peak at 27, thus are declining when they hit the FA market.

I'll rephrase then. I'm against signing guys who are clearly on the downside of their careers and are well past their prime. There's no reason for Robin to come back to the Sox.

Bob

steff
10-28-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by crector
I don't remember him being screwed. What specifically are you talking about?

He went to the Sox in July to work out a 1 year deal.. JR stalled, and stalled, and stalled, until it was too late and Robin was gone.

duke of dorwood
10-28-2003, 09:02 PM
He would be the kind of depth championship teams have. But I agree with Steff, some guys just wont swallow pride just for the privelege of being underpaid by Reinsdork

Brian26
10-28-2003, 09:32 PM
Not only that.. but after the way he was screwed at the end of his time here.. I doubt he'd want to come back. The last time I talked to Stephanie - which was at the Yanks/Mets WS she said she would never want to live in Chicago again. I know he would love to play in California where they live.

So she doesn't like living in Chicago or she could handle living here if the Sox overpaid Robin at the tune of 10 million a year? C'mon, even the sassiest of baseball annies can hangout at Oak Brook mall for 6 months a year and get their nails done every day.

Lip Man 1
10-28-2003, 09:49 PM
I think Robin is still particularly upset over the White Flag Trade. Remember he had that awful injury in late March, worked his ass off to get back in time for the stretch drive, won that game against Texas before basically a full house with a double in the 8th inning driving in the winning run, then two days later the Sox called it quits 3 1/2 games out.

"I didn't know the season ended in August ..."--Robin Ventura.

Lip

RedPinStripes
10-28-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

"I didn't know the season ended in August ..."--Robin Ventura.

Lip

And that quote right there paid for his ticket out of town. God forbit if any one speaks out against the organizations **** ups. :angry:

steff
10-29-2003, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
So she doesn't like living in Chicago or she could handle living here if the Sox overpaid Robin at the tune of 10 million a year? C'mon, even the sassiest of baseball annies can hangout at Oak Brook mall for 6 months a year and get their nails done every day.

She's busy raising her kids and taking care of her husband. Stephanie Venture is the very definition of class.

Brian26
10-29-2003, 09:09 AM
She's busy raising her kids and taking care of her husband. Stephanie Venture is the very definition of class.

Taking a page out of Daver's book,

Stephanie Venture is not related to Robin Ventura.

LuvSox
10-29-2003, 09:18 AM
C'mon, even the sassiest of baseball annies can hangout at Oak Brook mall for 6 months a year and get their nails done every day.

Only if there are any designated H2 parking spots left.

steff
10-29-2003, 12:07 PM
Taking a page out of Daver's book,

Stephanie Venture is not related to Robin Ventura.

Stephanie is Robin's wife's name.

Brian26
10-29-2003, 12:33 PM

Is her last name Ventura or Venture?

Grrr.

Dadawg_77
10-29-2003, 12:47 PM

You missed the joke. Check the Jose Valentin thread.

steff
10-29-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
You missed the joke. Check the Jose Valentin thread.

Ah. Brian being %&%&*&%(&(#&(^#( again... :o:

No need to check the other thread. I'll take you're word for it.