PDA

View Full Version : Strange world...

batmanZoSo
10-27-2003, 08:09 PM
You can now lose your job for not taking Pedro Martinez out of a game. Game 7 of the ALCS for that matter. I can almost hear the clip-clop of the four horsemen on the horizon.

Could something as bizarre as the White Sox signing a manager with a World Series ring be next? If so, I wouldn't get too excited. The end would surely be near.

crector
10-27-2003, 08:30 PM
Grady Little was fired even though he brought his team to the playoffs for the first time since 1999. That's gratitude for you.

Now, we have an opportunity to hire a proven manager. Go for it KW!

jeremyb1
10-27-2003, 08:36 PM
This is amazing. Do you know how easily one could make similar arguments about firing Manuel? We came close the playoffs with a payroll half the size of Boston's. We played really well down the stretch.

batmanZoSo
10-27-2003, 08:46 PM
jeremy,

If this was Manuel's second year, like Little (I think), then Manuel shouldn't be fired. But six years and nothing to show for it, you're out.

RKMeibalane
10-27-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
jeremy,

If this was Manuel's second year, like Little (I think), then Manuel shouldn't be fired. But six years and nothing to show for it, you're out.

Exactly. Little accomplished as much as Manuel did in one third of the time. If a manager can't get it right after six years, he's probably not going to. Comparing the firings of Little and Manuel purely for the sake of trying to absolve Manuel of blame for what happened this past season doesn't make much sense.

batmanZoSo
10-27-2003, 11:31 PM
JK,

Grady actually accomplished a lot more than Manuel did. He almost made it to the World Series, and should have, but let's face it, Pedro let everyone down. He didn't do jack all postseason except for slightly outpitching Zito in game 5, and he's supposed to be this Yankee killer who laughs at the curse.

Little was simply put in the worst position a manager has ever been in--you're managing the Red Sox in the Bronx, game 7 of the ALCS, had a big lead with the best pitcher in the game on the mound...you know he doesn't have his stuff and very well could give up the lead....but if you take him out and the lead is given up, not only will you be fired, but you'll have the whole New England area looking to kill you. "How could that moron take out Mahtinez?!"

He was doomed no matter what. He's a fine manager...I think we should look into him to tell you the truth. If for no other reason, impersonating him will be a blast. I'll tell you this, I'd rather have him than Francona or Bell.

nasox
10-27-2003, 11:35 PM
Little won 93 and 95 games (not sure in what order) in that two year span. How he can get fired for ONE mistake is amazing. But, he did mishandle other pitchers and make stupid decisions (like JR) many other times, which contributed to his dismissal also.

thepaulbowski
10-28-2003, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by nasox
Little won 93 and 95 games (not sure in what order) in that two year span. How he can get fired for ONE mistake is amazing. But, he did mishandle other pitchers and make stupid decisions (like JR) many other times, which contributed to his dismissal also.

If you mismanage your pitching staff, you are a hero on the north side of Chicago.

TDog
10-28-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by nasox

Anyone who loses in the league championship series after coming within five outs of getting to the World Series, with his best, most unhittable pitcher on the mound, deserves the scorn and ridicule of his city as well as the local and national media. And yes, he deserves to be fired.

I'm probably should have put that in teal, but I'm confused with the color thing now.

The Red Sox say that the firing wasn't just about one game.

voodoochile
10-28-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by TDog
I'm probably should have put that in teal, but I'm confused with the color thing now.

Just go with teal. The attempt to change it is silly...

batmanZoSo
10-28-2003, 03:26 PM
What the hell is the "color thing" and why should you type certain things in teal?

dickallen15
10-28-2003, 04:23 PM
Little won more games playing the eastern division 19 times each. Manuel had by far the most talent in a weak division, where an average team should win 90 games, what with Cleveland, Detroit, even KC with that weak pitching in the division. If KC was in the east or west they would have lost 90 games, easy. It was time for Manuel to go, he has been a bad manager for 3 seasons straight.

Unregistered
10-28-2003, 04:36 PM
What the hell is the "color thing" and why should you type certain things in teal? Teal = sarcasm. (Or at least it DID, before someone decided to not use teal in honor of the Marlins(?)) We should really put ''TEAL = SARCASM'' at the top of the Clubhouse page for all the noobs...

cheeses_h_rice
10-28-2003, 04:51 PM
I for one would like to see teal remain the official color of sarcasm on WSI.

Deeppink for dreams, too.

batmanZoSo
10-28-2003, 08:21 PM
Ham-A-Hoy,
I thought deepink was for coma fantasies...

(green is for esoteric gags)

batmanZoSo
10-28-2003, 08:27 PM
DickAllen,

Manuel won one division title and really should've won three. You could argue four, but in all fairness we kinda had a ton of injuries in 2001....but we didn't in April and most of May, when we played our worst ball of the year. Had he not let the team go in hungry instead of cocky like he should have, we'd have won the division...but Im in a good mood.

2002, pretty much the same deal, without the injuries. Granted we weren't that good of a team with Ritchie and all, but we finished within a distance where a good start would've helped us win the division.

And 2003 is simply not arguable, we were the best team in the division and didn't make it.

In summary, he gone!

1951Campbell
10-28-2003, 10:12 PM
You can now lose your job for not taking Pedro Martinez out of a game. Game 7 of the ALCS for that matter. I can almost hear the clip-clop of the four horsemen on the horizon.

Could something as bizarre as the White Sox signing a manager with a World Series ring be next? If so, I wouldn't get too excited. The end would surely be near.

For once, Pedro had that Jared Wright-I'm-in-way-over-my-head look. He had lost his stuff. Sorry Grady, but you blew it.

Although McNamara is smiling somewhere...maybe this'll mean the chowds will forget about pulling Roger in '86.

batmanZoSo
10-28-2003, 10:26 PM

Yeah, and maybe India and Pakistan will just shake hands.