PDA

View Full Version : If we lose Colon, should the Sox make every effort possible to sign Buerhle:

ChiSox14305635
10-27-2003, 06:30 PM
Long term? I really don't want to lose Buerhle to the Cards when Buerhle becomes a FA. Down the stretch when Loaiza started to fade a bit, Buerhle once again was the best pitcher for the Sox. I know his heart is in St. Louis, but show him the money now, and maybe he'll be on the South Side for the next half decade.

JRIG
10-27-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
Long term? I really don't want to lose Buerhle to the Cards when Buerhle becomes a FA. Down the stretch when Loaiza started to fade a bit, Buerhle once again was the best pitcher for the Sox. I know his heart is in St. Louis, but show him the money now, and maybe he'll be on the South Side for the next half decade.

If we lose Colon, signing Buehrle really doesn't do anything to help us next year. Buehrle will be pitching here at least through 2005.

If we're willing to commit that kind of money to Colon, we should be willing to do the same with Millwood. That should be Plan B if we lose Colon.

voodoochile
10-27-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
If we lose Colon, signing Buehrle really doesn't do anything to help us next year. Buehrle will be pitching here at least through 2005.

If we're willing to commit that kind of money to Colon, we should be willing to do the same with Millwood. That should be Plan B if we lose Colon.

Yep. Using the money to sign Buehrle is the same thing as sticking it in JR's pocket, IMO.

batmanZoSo
10-27-2003, 07:44 PM
JRIG,

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2003/10/27/iukGrPt9.jpg

We have a number of plans to improve this ballclub. But we feel confident in addressing these ballclub problems with in-house solutions. Millwood would be a fine addition to this ballclub. But you can't spend this many dollars with only fifty cents.

Lip Man 1
10-27-2003, 08:48 PM
Not "if" we lose Colon but "when."

You can only do so much with a payroll in the mid 50's can you?

Lip

Nick@Nite
10-27-2003, 08:54 PM
Yes

RKMeibalane
10-27-2003, 09:18 PM
The effort to retain Buehrle should be made, but if he decides he'd rather be in St. Louis, then there's nothing the Sox can do about it. Based on some of the comments he made back in June when he was 2-10, I don't think his opinion of the Sox organization or its fans is too high.

The funny thing is, the Cardinals are probably due for an overhaul within the next few years. They have no pitching, and they will eventually need to replace Tino Martinez and Jim Edmonds. Then, of course, there are the ongoing JD Drew trade rumors. Oooy!

thepaulbowski
10-28-2003, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
The effort to retain Buehrle should be made, but if he decides he'd rather be in St. Louis, then there's nothing the Sox can do about it. Based on some of the comments he made back in June when he was 2-10, I don't think his opinion of the Sox organization or its fans is too high.

The funny thing is, the Cardinals are probably due for an overhaul within the next few years. They have no pitching, and they will eventually need to replace Tino Martinez and Jim Edmonds. Then, of course, there are the ongoing JD Drew trade rumors. Oooy!

If they could somehow work on a deal on sending him to the Cards, that would be nice. The only problem is, the only person on that I would want is Pujols (SP?) and I don't think the Cards would trade him.