PDA

View Full Version : Juan Encarnacion

Jjav829
10-27-2003, 07:05 PM
Well, the Marlins are going to lose some of their players this year. Most people have brought up Castillo but what about Juan Encarnacion? I'm not sure what his market value is, but I think he would be a nice addition. Hes certainly better than Rowand/Harris. He would add some speed to the lineup and a better bat then either of the other two we have right now.

Also, Mark Redman might be gone. I think he'd be worth keeping an eye on as possibly as a second lefty. Thoughts?

JRIG
10-27-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Well, the Marlins are going to lose some of their players this year. Most people have brought up Castillo but what about Juan Encarnacion? I'm not sure what his market value is, but I think he would be a nice addition. Hes certainly better than Rowand/Harris. He would add some speed to the lineup and a better bat then either of the other two we have right now.

Also, Mark Redman might be gone. I think he'd be worth keeping an eye on as possibly as a second lefty. Thoughts?

No on Encarnacion. We already have one Carlos Lee.

I'm a big Redman fan, though. That's a name worth keeping an eye on. He's pretty much Mark Buehrle, Jr.

Jjav829
10-27-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
No on Encarnacion. We already have one Carlos Lee.

I'm a big Redman fan, though. That's a name worth keeping an eye on. He's pretty much Mark Buehrle, Jr.

Are you calling him Carlos Lee because of his lack of patience? If that's what you're talking about then I know what you mean, but Encarnacion is a much better fielder than Lee. I don't like the fact that he doesn't walk much, but depending on how much it would cost, he would give us some good defense in center and if he bats 7th or 8th, I think it would be a definite upgrade over what we have now.

Nick@Nite
10-27-2003, 07:19 PM

I like the thought of Encarnacion in CF... but in 601 AB's he only had 37 BB's (and 82 SO's)... he's definately a bible hitter; "Thou shalt not pass".

JRIG
10-27-2003, 07:19 PM
Are you calling him Carlos Lee because of his lack of patience? If that's what you're talking about then I know what you mean, but Encarnacion is a much better fielder than Lee. I don't like the fact that he doesn't walk much, but depending on how much it would cost, he would give us some good defense in center and if he bats 7th or 8th, I think it would be a definite upgrade over what we have now.

Yes, hitting-wise, he's basically the same player. I'm not really confortable using Encarnacion in center though. And even if we do acquire him, there's no way he can hit at the top of the order. I think we absolutely must have a leadoff-quality hitter filling one of the holes at CF, 2B, or SS heading into next year. If Enc. is playing center that leaves 2B and SS, and if Alomar re-signs, that means we're down to SS. I think a high-OBP guy is of a higher priority than a good-but-not-great defensive player in CF.

batmanZoSo
10-27-2003, 07:24 PM
We need to focus on the bullpen. Gordon's not coming back (nor would I pay 5 million for an injury prone guy who had like 12 saves last year completely healthy). Koch is an enigma, and Sullivan's not going to be re-signed.

There's still an outside shot we'll get Colon back. If we do, then I wouldn't spend a dime on starters this offseason. It's all about the bullpen. If we wanna be competitive we have to address it.

Nick@Nite
10-27-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
There's still an outside shot we'll get Colon back.

But how far outside?

Jjav829
10-27-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
Yes, hitting-wise, he's basically the same player. I'm not really confortable using Encarnacion in center though. And even if we do acquire him, there's no way he can hit at the top of the order. I think we absolutely must have a leadoff-quality hitter filling one of the holes at CF, 2B, or SS heading into next year. If Enc. is playing center that leaves 2B and SS, and if Alomar re-signs, that means we're down to SS. I think a high-OBP guy is of a higher priority than a good-but-not-great defensive player in CF.

Don't get me wrong. I would love to get a high OBP leadoff hitter for center, but find me one. I don't see anyone Juan Pierre's or Scott Podsednik's available. Kenny Lofton is about the only one. I don't really see a good leadoff hitting center fielder available. That is why I suggested Encarnacion. He can handle center and would be a better at the bottom of the order than Rowand or Harris. But if you have a better suggestion I would like to hear it because as I said I don't see anyone. Maybe I am forgetting someone that you haven't.

Randar68
10-28-2003, 12:31 PM
He can handle center and would be a better at the bottom of the order than Rowand or Harris. But if you have a better suggestion I would like to hear it because as I said I don't see anyone. Maybe I am forgetting someone that you haven't.

Haven't you heard??? Aaron Rowand walked on water last week, but wasn't aware of where he was and ran into a cliff.