PDA

View Full Version : Colon Yankees/Red Sox situation

Win1ForMe
10-27-2003, 01:15 PM
Here's something to consider before jumping to conclusions...

Here's a quote from the from the Trib article today:
"But Colon has told those close to him he doesn't want to play in New York. Boston, with Hispanic stars Pedro Martinez and Manny Ramirez, is a more logical fit."

But read this from the most recent Gammons column:
"If New England fans think that a new manager will be accompanied by a couple of big-name free agents, they will be disappointed. The Red Sox are committed to nearly $110 million in '04, so unless they can move salary or end up trading Nomar Garciaparra -- unlikely since the Padres have backed off -- they'll have to settle for a Tier II starting pitcher and subtle additions. There is no way they can take a plunge on Bartolo Colon (who reporterdly turned down a three-year, $35 million deal from the White Sox)"

Could this whole thing be a bluff? It doesn't appear that Boston is an option even if Colon would like it to be one. The choice, then, seems to come down to the White Sox/Yanks. If he's really set against playing in New York, he may just be holding out for more money here. Of course if Steinbrenner offers $15M it might not make a difference, but like I said, it's still something to consider.

washington
10-27-2003, 01:20 PM
Could be. The Tribune is not a reliable source of inside White Sox information (for obvious reason). I can't even remember the last time they broke a rumor that proved to be true.

longshot7
10-27-2003, 02:07 PM
Remember a few years ago when Mussina didn't want to go to the Yanks either?

washington
10-27-2003, 03:28 PM
Good point about Mussina. I can't off the top of my head think of any player the Yankees really wanted as a free agent in the last 6-7 years that they didn't sign. The combo of $$$$ and the promise of pennants/world series playing time is pretty hard to compete against.

Lip Man 1
10-27-2003, 09:07 PM
Two other teams that I have seen in print linked to Colon...Atlanta and Arizona.

Lip

RKMeibalane
10-27-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Two other teams that I have seen in print linked to Colon...Atlanta and Arizona.

Lip

I'm not sure why he would be interested in Arizona. That team seems to be on the decline. Atlanta makes more sense.

Win1ForMe
10-27-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

Arizona is slashing payroll (plan is to go down to $55M from their current $95M by 2005), they're not signing anyone unless it's the bargain bin.

As far as Atlanta, I've read a few reports where their management is supposedly concerned with Colon's work habits and they're not likely to have interest.

I think these are the type of teams that are floated out there by the agent to "up" the bidding on his client.

LASOXFAN
10-28-2003, 12:20 AM
A phone call from Torre, Steinbrenner, Giambi and Jeter (all translated of course) will go a long way in swaying Colon, as they did for Giambi.

Colon's a bastardo! I can now root against him again. Hell, the Sox always pounded his ass anyway, so who cares? We've got Danny Wright ready to turn it around baby!

A.T. Money
10-28-2003, 12:24 AM
Let's not forget about Philly. I think they will bid for Colon too. I remember they were brought up last year. I know a guy who lives in Philly, and he thinks the Phillies will go after him.

StepsInSC
10-28-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
A phone call from Torre, Steinbrenner, Giambi and Jeter (all translated of course) will go a long way in swaying Colon, as they did for Giambi.

Colon's a bastardo! I can now root against him again. Hell, the Sox always pounded his ass anyway, so who cares? We've got Danny Wright ready to turn it around baby!

:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: