PDA

View Full Version : What's Gordon Worth?

poorme
10-27-2003, 10:02 AM
I think he's a great pitcher when healthy. He's just a walking time-bomb. If they've offered a 2 year, $6 million deal, I think that's already too much.

nasox
10-27-2003, 05:12 PM
well, hes definitely not worth the 5 million a year he wants.

soxfan26
10-27-2003, 05:27 PM
Your right.

Gordon could be somebody's closer. Gordon will most likely serve as a part-time closer or set-up man next year. A guy in this role might be worth that kind of money if he were not on the wrong side of 35 and so injury prone.

Let Gordon go, he served us well, I wish him the best.

Foulke You
10-27-2003, 05:32 PM
I won't be too upset if Gordon leaves. $5 million a season is too risky for a guy with his history of arm troubles. He had a nice year for us after a brutal April but I'd rather see us throw $5 million a year at Latroy Hawkins than Flash Gordon. Who knows? Maybe he is over estimating his value and may come back to the White Sox when he realizes he can't get top closer money.

Daver
10-27-2003, 05:35 PM
He is worth whatever the market will bear,the same as any other FA.

MRKARNO
10-27-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Daver
He is worth whatever the market will bear,the same as any other FA.

Well considering the yankees, red sox and Cubs are at such a loss for relief pitching, the market for relievers is gonna be pretty comptetive this year.

Jjav829
10-27-2003, 05:56 PM
The Phillies have made it very clear that they want Gordon as their closer next year, so I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them throw $5 per at him. If that happens, then he has to walk.

gosox41
10-27-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by poorme
I think he's a great pitcher when healthy. He's just a walking time-bomb. If they've offered a 2 year, $6 million deal, I think that's already too much.

Right about now I think he's worth 2 compensation draft picks.

Bob

Daver
10-27-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Right about now I think he's worth 2 compensation draft picks.

Bob

He doesn't have the numbers to be a class A FA,he will only be worth one pick.

duke of dorwood
10-27-2003, 08:37 PM
He's pretty old, folks

RKMeibalane
10-27-2003, 09:14 PM
Gordon isn't going to get five million from anyone. Even with the increased demand for relief pitching, I just don't see teams spending that much money for someone who isn't even a full-time closer. I would love to see Gordon stay in Chicago, but unless he lowers his asking price, there's no reason to sign him. As long as Reinsdorf wants to do things "his way," the Sox cannot afford to spend money on someone whose production could take a nose-dive at any time.

ma_deuce
10-27-2003, 09:26 PM
A bag of balls and half a case of Big League Chew (regular flavor). If he wants to leave, Flash should run to avoid the door.

Flash... lose the game in a flash maybe. Thats what we get for picking up discarded Scrubs.

Brian26
10-27-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
The Phillies have made it very clear that they want Gordon as their closer next year, so I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them throw $5 per at him. If that happens, then he has to walk.

Do they want him because he's the best guy available, or do they see something there that we don't? I felt like Gordon was pitching on borrowed time all of last year. Let him and his $5 mil go. Run with Marte at this point, and maybe let Koch work himself back in. Use the Gordon money towards Colon, Frank or bringing back Robin.

john2499
10-27-2003, 09:56 PM
"Flash says he is going to get $5 mil. When Flash wants to be a closer, Flash sits by the phone, Flash waits for the teams to call him.
Flash has had a good time in Chicago. Thanks."

MHOUSE
10-28-2003, 12:37 PM
3 years $6 mil is the limit. Flash isn't worth a penny more than that. If the Phillies want him then they'll spend the $5 mil and good for them. Jose Mesa anyone?

Irishsox1
10-28-2003, 03:16 PM
I wouldn't give Gordon more than 1.5 m. It's a miracle that he didn't get hurt this year. If the Sox lost him, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Hokiesox
10-28-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by john2499
"Flash says he is going to get $5 mil. When Flash wants to be a closer, Flash sits by the phone, Flash waits for the teams to call him.
Flash has had a good time in Chicago. Thanks."

Flash let me down in April. Me not sad to see Flash go. Replacement named Hawkins available.

batmanZoSo
10-28-2003, 03:36 PM
If Gordon wants 5 million and there are offers, then good-bye. He's not worth 5 million. Why the heck does he get rewarded like that for a dozen saves and several blown ones?