PDA

View Full Version : 3 points I want to reiterate


gosox41
10-27-2003, 07:26 AM
I made a few predicitions after the end of the season. After reading today's Trib. it brought a few of them back in mind. I hate to say it, but this team is too predictable.

1. Colon won't be back. Props to KW for legitimately trying to keep him, but if today's article is any indicate, he's as good as gone. While it's not official yet, does anyone want to take the opposite side of this bet?

2. Frank will play for another team. Let me just say again that I 100% want Frank to stay on this team. Even at $8 mill. per year he is a bargain. 40HR's, close to .400OBP, who doesn't want that?

But as was reported earlier the Sox seem to want Frank to leave as there's been talk about not picking up his $8 mill. option if Frank decides not to pick up his $6 mill. I don't blame Frank a bit if he decides not to pick up the $6 mill. option. At the very least he can make the same money next year with a team that appreciates him, and probably will make more looking for a team that needs a hitter and is close to winning (ie LA, Cubs, Yankees.)

It would make me sick to see the Cubs pull of a PR coup and sign Frank and to see Frank play in the playoffs/World Series in a Cub jersey.

Also, there are a lot of posters here. Without keeping a scorecard of who says what, I find it funny that there are a sizeable # of people who don't think Frank can make more then $6 mill. on the FA market, but there are also a lot of people who seem to think PK is tradeable. Who would you rather have on your team for the next 2 years?

3. The Sox will hire a minority manager. Nothing wrong with this, but I think it's a given. The two leading candidates are Gaston and Guillen. Neither one excites me.

Bob

OneDog
10-27-2003, 07:37 AM
I believe that this is the article you were referring to. It definitely does not paint a flattering picture of the 2004 Sox. Not only does it say Colon is gone, but Thomas and Flash as well. According to Greenstein, the Sox are not going to be able to sign any of them.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/

hold2dibber
10-27-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
Frank will play for another team. Let me just say again that I 100% want Frank to stay on this team. Even at $8 mill. per year he is a bargain. 40HR's, close to .400OBP, who doesn't want that?

But as was reported earlier the Sox seem to want Frank to leave as there's been talk about not picking up his $8 mill. option if Frank decides not to pick up his $6 mill. I don't blame Frank a bit if he decides not to pick up the $6 mill. option. At the very least he can make the same money next year with a team that appreciates him, and probably will make more looking for a team that needs a hitter and is close to winning (ie LA, Cubs, Yankees.)

I agree that the Sox will not exercise the $8 mm option if Frank doesn't exercise at $6 mm. But I would be very surprised if Frank didn't exercise at $6 mm. First, who knows what the free agent market would hold for him - he checked it out last year and didn't get much interest. I'm guessing that made him a little gun shy. Plus, and this is the most important thing, don't forget that his contract guarantees him at least $8 milion in '05 and at least $10 million in '06 (http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/thestate/sports/baseball/4685046.htm) . So even if Frank simply elects to exercise the player option each year, he is guaranteed at least $24 million over the next three seasons with the White Sox. Although he might be able to make more than $6 million in '04, Frank will only allow himself to become a free agent if he thinks he can get at least $24 million over the next three years. I for one don't think he could and I would be surprised if he wanted to risk it, especially since he has indicated a desire to finish his career with the Sox.

soxtalker
10-27-2003, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I agree that the Sox will not exercise the $8 mm option if Frank doesn't exercise at $6 mm. But I would be very surprised if Frank didn't exercise at $6 mm. First, who knows what the free agent market would hold for him - he checked it out last year and didn't get much interest. I'm guessing that made him a little gun shy. Plus, and this is the most important thing, don't forget that his contract guarantees him at least $8 milion in '05 and at least $10 million in '06 (http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/thestate/sports/baseball/4685046.htm) . So even if Frank simply elects to exercise the player option each year, he is guaranteed at least $24 million over the next three seasons with the White Sox. Although he might be able to make more than $6 million in '04, Frank will only allow himself to become a free agent if he thinks he can get at least $24 million over the next three years. I for one don't think he could and I would be surprised if he wanted to risk it, especially since he has indicated a desire to finish his career with the Sox.

I agree.

Also, put yourself in the shoes of another GM who wants to sign Frank. He has to be willing to pay that $24 million over three years. While Frank looks very good at this point -- and I'm guessing that there will be an increasing emphasis on OBP, which Frank can excel at -- there's a bit more risk when you're talking about 3 years.

That being said, I think that there's a chance we'll lose him. It is probably very close -- like many negotiations.

SoxOnTop
10-27-2003, 09:07 AM
Frank's not going anywhere. Anyone who thinks he's going to give up a guarenteed 24 million over the next 3 years just for 2 extra million next year is crazy. Because of his age, there is no way that another team will pay him that much over 3 years, plus he has incentive clauses that can make him even more money in a Sox uniform.

And although Steinbrenner is crazy and has mad cash, I'd find it very hard to believe that he would go after Thomas. The Yankees want people who are proven post-season performers. The post season is all they care about. Thomas did nothing in 2000 or even 1993 to show that he is a postseason performer.

I think he's still an asset to this team, but needs to be dropped to 4th in the order and play 1st occasionally.

Lip Man 1
10-27-2003, 11:23 AM
Thomas "did nothing" in 1993 because the Blue Jays walked him ten times in the six game series!

On the rare time they pitched to him he blasted one of the longest home runs at Skydome in Game #4, tying the game.

That ten walks by the way is still an ALCS record. They kept walking him because George Bell and Bo Jackson went a combined 0-16 in the LCS.

Just letting you know the facts.

Lip

SoxOnTop
10-27-2003, 12:09 PM
Thanks for setting me straight Lip.

That being said, I'd still find it hard to believe that the Yankees would go hard for Frank. As much as I like Rogers, I think he's way off on this one....

Dadawg_77
10-27-2003, 12:12 PM
Frank to Oakland.

xil357
10-27-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
They kept walking him because George Bell and Bo Jackson went a combined 0-16 in the LCS.
Lip

What about "The Deacon," Warren Newson? Didn't he DH in Game 6?

AAARGHHH. Painful memories. That scab was just starting to heal. Why did you have to pick it and make it bleed again, Lip?

santo=dorf
10-27-2003, 12:38 PM
On the rare time they pitched to him he blasted one of the longest home runs at Skydome in Game #4, tying the game

I don't remember that. I thought Lance Johnson (0 homers in the regular season) hit the only homer in that series.

poorme
10-27-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
I don't remember that. I thought Lance Johnson (0 homers in the regular season) hit the only homer in that series.

There's a great site: http://www.baseballreference.com/

hold2dibber
10-27-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
I don't remember that. I thought Lance Johnson (0 homers in the regular season) hit the only homer in that series.

Nope. Frank tore it up in the '93 playoffs. (http://www.baseballreference.com/t/thomafr04.shtml) He hit .353 with a .593 OBP (10 walks and 6 hits in 27 plate appearances) and .529 SLG. He also had a HR.

soxtalker
10-27-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Frank to Oakland.

I assume that you are suggesting this possibility because of the Beane emphasis on stats like OBP. Frank's salary may still be a bit high for Oakland. However, there are now at least two disciples of that same philosophy who are setting up their organizations (Boston and Toronto) to reflect it. They may have deeper pockets.

Dadawg_77
10-27-2003, 01:41 PM
Boston is filled at the DH and 1B. The Blue Jays maybe. Oakland or LA (If Beane goes there) are a couple strong fits for Frank. Oakland can usally have one mid level FA around and Frank would help fill a hole they have at first.

RKMeibalane
10-27-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
I don't remember that. I thought Lance Johnson (0 homers in the regular season) hit the only homer in that series.

Frank homered. You can check his numbers at several sites.

ssang
10-27-2003, 02:02 PM
FACT: Frank homered (a massive blast) in game 4 of the Sox/Jays series in the Skydome. And in game 6 WARREN NEWSOME hit a pinch hit homerun in the 9th. He was not the DH that game. It was too little too late.