PDA

View Full Version : Let the FREE AGENT games begin!

MHOUSE
10-27-2003, 08:20 AM
Here's the ESPN.com list of free agents. 35 more players filed Sunday and they're on there also. Urbina, Guardado, Todd Walker, Juan-Gon, lots of big names out there. The Sox have quite a few of their own playersas well. I hope we make some big signings, but not necessarily a blockBUSTer trade.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1644909)

OneDog
10-27-2003, 08:26 AM
Hey, Albert Belle is listed as a free agent on that page. Looks like the Orioles will actually be able to stop paying him for doing nothing. Now that he is available, anybody interested in Albert Belle...again? :D:

bestkosher
10-27-2003, 09:27 AM
I am officially starting the Edgar Martinez bandwagon!
And while I am at it I want a little of Raul ibanez in my center BABY.

OH YEAH

xil357
10-27-2003, 10:08 AM
If the Sox have offered Colon a huge contract that he turns down, to what extent could Andy Pettitte be Plan B? Would Pettitte sign for the same contract offer made to Colon? Would and should the Sox pursue him as an alternative to Colon?

For the 5th starter hole, how about stealing from the Twins (Fetters, Hawkins or Reed)?

If Frank leaves (meaning Konerko plays 1B), the Sox need to sign an impact CF who can both play D, run and hit well.

I like Cameron as a target for CF. Can Ibanez play CF? What about Cruz, Jr.? If all are equally capable CFs and if they command similar dollars, it would be great to steal Ibanez from the Royals to strengthen your team and weaken your opposition. Are either of them a budgetary possibility to fill the important position of CF if Frank does not accept his $6 million option?

Lastly, how about signing Ventura to play 1B and DH, and occasionally spell (and tutor) Crede at 3B? Would he command too much money to come back to where he belongs?

bestkosher
10-27-2003, 10:21 AM
anyone ready for a Jason Bere revival?

GregoryEtc
10-27-2003, 10:50 AM
Greg Norton is available? HELL YEAH! GET HIM!

SoxxoS
10-27-2003, 11:27 AM
Tell you what, I would rather have Pettite than Colon. Anyone with me on that one?

Paulwny
10-27-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Tell you what, I would rather have Pettite than Colon. Anyone with me on that one?

Sure but, why would Pettite want to come to the sox?
He'll either stay in NY or go to a Texas tean to be close to home.

xil357
10-27-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Sure but, why would Pettite want to come to the sox?
He'll either stay in NY or go to a Texas tean to be close to home.

Let me play devils advocate. What kind of pitcher would want to go to two of the most hitter-friendly parks in majors? I more easily could see Houston making a run at him, as the Rangers are said to be in cost-cutting mode. But I've been wrong before.

If Pettitte was Plan B after Colon, I would be more than pleased. I would rather have Pettitte than Colon, frankly.

Do we know who Pettitte's agent is?

poorme
10-27-2003, 01:13 PM
Pettitte is returning to NY.

Dadawg_77
10-27-2003, 01:27 PM
Here are the names I like, some just becuase I think the player will outpreform what it would cost to sign them, and some will be dirt cheap and should produce.

Hitters
Ivan Rodriguez
Cory Lidle
Todd Walker
Raul Ibanez
Shannon Stewart
Jose Guillen
Brad Fullmer
Vladimir Guerrero
Jose Cruz Jr

Pitchers
Derek Lowe
LaTroy Hawkins
Keith Foulke
Steve Sparks
Shigetoshi Hasegawa
Arthur Rhodes
Wilson Alvarez
Pedro Astacio
Kevin Millwood
Dan Plesac
Rod Beck
Andy Pettitte

Paulwny
10-27-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by xil357
Let me play devils advocate. What kind of pitcher would want to go to two of the most hitter-friendly parks in majors? I more easily could see Houston making a run at him, as the Rangers are said to be in cost-cutting mode. But I've been wrong before.

If Pettitte was Plan B after Colon, I would be more than pleased. I would rather have Pettitte than Colon, frankly.

Do we know who Pettitte's agent is?

Pettite has already said that he might be interested in playing for a team closer to his home. He lives in Texas.

Iwritecode
10-27-2003, 02:46 PM
Pettite has already said that he might be interested in playing for a team closer to his home. He lives in Texas.

Technically, Chicago is closer to Texas than NY.

At least we're in the same time zone...

Paulwny
10-27-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Technically, Chicago is closer to Texas than NY.

At least we're in the same time zone...

I guess that counts but I think ,as usual we'll be a few $$$ short in our contract offer.

RKMeibalane
10-27-2003, 03:01 PM
I guess that counts but I think ,as usual we'll be a few $$$ short in our contract offer.

:reinsy

"Yeah, we will, and it's ALL YOUR FAULT!"

mikef1331
10-27-2003, 03:06 PM
I think the Sox should try and get at least 1 of the FA's listed below.

Hitters:
Gary Sheffield
Javy Lopez
Todd Walker
Miguel Tejada
Kazuo Matsui-(for those of you who don't know about him: He's a SS from Japan... Similar to Nomar or Jeter but has more speed and can hit leadoff or 3-4 spot hitting power)

Pitchers:
Andy Pettitte
Ugueth Urbina
Eddie Guardado
Keith Foulke

Deadguy
10-27-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by OneDog
Hey, Albert Belle is listed as a free agent on that page. Looks like the Orioles will actually be able to stop paying him for doing nothing. Now that he is available, anybody interested in Albert Belle...again? :D:

Lucky for them, insurance was picking up all of AB's salary from 2001 to 2003, so Peter Angelos wasn't exactly losing any money on the deal.

I hope Konerko decides to run on to the Dan Ryan Expressway, and take one for the team.

Foulke You
10-27-2003, 07:15 PM
I'd love Latroy Hawkins or Jason Grimsley to come in as a setup man. Especially now that it looks like Flash Gordon is history. The Sox should be planning for Damaso Marte to be the closer. You just can't have your closer situation be a prayer that Billy Koch returns to his pre 2003 form.

MHOUSE
10-28-2003, 01:40 PM
Grimsley sucks and Hawkins is staying in Minnesota for big $$. I'd like Pettite but I think he'll take the money in Texas to play close to home even if they suck. He's won plenty in NY so home is going to be more of a good thing than trying to win another championship IMO. Rangers have as good a shot as the Sox sadly......Texas or NYY for Pettite, but not the southside.

Foulke You
10-28-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Grimsley sucks and Hawkins is staying in Minnesota for big $$. I'd like Pettite but I think he'll take the money in Texas to play close to home even if they suck. He's won plenty in NY so home is going to be more of a good thing than trying to win another championship IMO. Rangers have as good a shot as the Sox sadly......Texas or NYY for Pettite, but not the southside.

Grimsley did have an off year last year E.R.A. wise. Maybe I'm blinded by how well he seems to pitch against our Sox the past few years. :D:

I don't think Minnesota can afford to keep both Guardado and Hawkins. Latroy made some derogatory comments about Twins management during the season that leads me to believe he is going to test the free agent market. What better way to stick it to Twins management than to sign with the Sox?

Now, whether the White Sox go after Latroy is another story all together. If they planned on paying $12 million a year for Bartolo they should take $9 million and spend that on a starter to replace Bartolo then take the $3 million left over, add that to the $3 million you were going to give Flash Gordon and presto you have Latroy Hawkins. I don't see him making much more than $6 million a year.

Dadawg_77
10-28-2003, 01:56 PM
Shigetoshi Hasegawa That is the best middle reliever on the list. I would love the Sox to pick him. LaTroy and Grimsley are good but Hasegawa is better.

MHOUSE
10-28-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Shigetoshi Hasegawa That is the best middle reliever on the list. I would love the Sox to pick him. LaTroy and Grimsley are good but Hasegawa is better.

Hasegowa is a good reliever, but was he injured most of the year or was that their closer? I get confused. I think Minnesota will let Guardado walk and keep LaTroy. The Yankees could use a stud bullpen guy with Nelson a FA and all those Reds pitchers nothing special. I see the Yankees able to spend $ and rebuild their pitching staff. If you can't beat'em join them right LaTroy?

Grimsley got lit up last year. Everytime I saw him pitch he gave up a run or two. He's past his best days.

MarkEdward
10-28-2003, 06:04 PM
Hasegowa is a good reliever, but was he injured most of the year or was that their closer?

You're thinking of Sasaki. Hasegawa was arguably the best AL reliever not named Brendan Donnelly.

ma-gaga
10-28-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by xil357
For the 5th starter hole, how about stealing from the Twins (Fetters, Hawkins or Reed)?

Please steal Reed. I am as big of a Rick Reed fan as you'll see in the Twin Cities, but not for his baseball ability. I wouldn't sign him for the veteran minimum to pitch for the team.

IIRC, Shannon Stewart made $6MM last year, I'm guessing he'll go up. Hawkins made $3MM last year, I'm guessing he'll also go up, especially if the Yankees get involved.

I don't know what Guardado will sign for. The Twins offered him something like a two year $7.2MM deal extension in spring training. He turned it down, and he had a great season. He was looking for around $4.5MM, and he'll probably get it.

I agree, the Twins will likely lose ONE of the two. Probably not both. Rick Reed comes off their books, so they should have some extra cash to spend, but with annual raises for the rest of the team, that cost might be absorbed...

RichH55
10-28-2003, 06:26 PM
Hasegowa is a good reliever, but was he injured most of the year or was that their closer? I get confused. I think Minnesota will let Guardado walk and keep LaTroy. The Yankees could use a stud bullpen guy with Nelson a FA and all those Reds pitchers nothing special. I see the Yankees able to spend $ and rebuild their pitching staff. If you can't beat'em join them right LaTroy?

Grimsley got lit up last year. Everytime I saw him pitch he gave up a run or two. He's past his best days. \

What about Soriano on the M's?

Randar68
10-28-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
Please steal Reed. I am as big of a Rick Reed fan as you'll see in the Twin Cities, but not for his baseball ability. I wouldn't sign him for the veteran minimum to pitch for the team.

IIRC, Shannon Stewart made $6MM last year, I'm guessing he'll go up. Hawkins made $3MM last year, I'm guessing he'll also go up, especially if the Yankees get involved.

I don't know what Guardado will sign for. The Twins offered him something like a two year $7.2MM deal extension in spring training. He turned it down, and he had a great season. He was looking for around $4.5MM, and he'll probably get it.

I agree, the Twins will likely lose ONE of the two. Probably not both. Rick Reed comes off their books, so they should have some extra cash to spend, but with annual raises for the rest of the team, that cost might be absorbed...

I'd rather have Brian Anderson.

lowesox
10-28-2003, 10:25 PM
I'd love Lowe and Hawkins. That would put us into championship form - especially if we keep Alomar. I think we need to upgrade at SS too.

Lip Man 1
10-28-2003, 10:52 PM
Hawkins has been rumored to be headed to the Cubs...the team he grew up rooting for in N.W. Indiana as a kid.

Lip