PDA

View Full Version : Props for the Soxogram

doublem23
10-27-2003, 01:31 AM
Ha ha... Great quote on the main page. When did the Cubs lose the name, the Orphans? I thought that was there name in aught zero, but, as usual, I'm probably wrong.

OneDog
10-27-2003, 08:44 AM
I thought that they were the Orphans sometime between the Colts and Cubs names. But, a Cub fan co-worker of mine has told me that around the turn of the century they were called the Orphans because they had no owner or anyone interested in owning them. Kind of like les Expos . He's a pretty big Cubs dork, so I trust his authority on all things Cubbie.

Dadawg_77
10-27-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by OneDog
I thought that they were the Orphans sometime between the Colts and Cubs names. But, a Cub fan co-worker of mine has told me that around the turn of the century they were called the Orphans because they had no owner or anyone interested in owning them. Kind of like les Expos . He's a pretty big Cubs dork, so I trust his authority on all things Cubbie.

They were called the Orphans after Cap Anson left the club. Before that they were the Anson Colts. The bigot Anson was a major reason for the Cubs early success and his absence led sports writers to call the Cubs the Orphans. Over a few years Orphans morphed into the Cubs.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-27-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Ha ha... Great quote on the main page. When did the Cubs lose the name, the Orphans? I thought that was there name in aught zero, but, as usual, I'm probably wrong.

According to the book The Ball Clubs, the original name of the Cubs was White Stockings. They changed the name to Colts after the 1886 season. Cap Anson retired after the 1899 season and the name Orphans becam popular, but Anson never liked the name or an alternate name, Remnants. Jeezus... that team has been ****ed up for over a century! :smile:

Anson tried to get the Colts name reinstated and it was only in 1902 after the Daily News used a nice short moniker, Cubs, that the controversy was finally settled. However it took a few more years before the fans began giving it wide circulation, too.

A century later, Lovable Losers suits all of them just fine.