PDA

View Full Version : Magglio Scenario

JDP
10-26-2003, 02:49 PM
Had an idea that I'd thought I'd toss in here since I previously mentioned the Yankee$$ tossing large sums of money towards Guerrero in a separate post:

If the Sox could get to Georgie/Cashman/whomever is left over before they ink Guerrero to a deal, would offering them Ordonez/Konerko for Johnson/Navarro/Arias sit well with both clubs?

The Sox would get something in return for Ordonez, dump Konerko's salary onto one of a small handful of teams that could take on his salary and get two solid prospects as well. We all know the defensive and offensive rising youth in Nick Johnson that we'd acquire, but also, Navarro is a young, solid and improving hitting catcher (a position that lacks much depth in the Sox organization). I only know of Navarro of what I've seen via stats, but thus far in AA, he's been impressive: .341-4-37 in 208 AB's; 18/26 BB/K ratio; .471 SLG%, .388 OBP% and solid defense. Plus, the Sox are low on catching prospects.

Residing in Battle Creek, I've seen Joaquin Arias play (MIF) and I like what I see. He recently turned 19, led the BC Yankees w/ 8 triples, hit .266 for the season -- .301 w/ runners on base and .341 w/ runners in scoring position. His defense is even solid -- a Valentin-like performance the first half of the season, but solid the second half (23 errors vs 11 errors). Good hands, good legs -- will develop into a major SB threat at the MLB level. A very young, promising Puerto Rican...MLB-ready probably in 2005 or 2006 at the latest.

Joauin Arias: http://www.battlecreekyankees.com/uploads/0_arias504med.jpg

Thoughts?

RichH55
10-26-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by JDP
Had an idea that I'd thought I'd toss in here since I previously mentioned the Yankee$$ tossing large sums of money towards Guerrero in a separate post:

If the Sox could get to Georgie/Cashman/whomever is left over before they ink Guerrero to a deal, would offering them Ordonez/Konerko for Johnson/Navarro/Arias sit well with both clubs?

The Sox would get something in return for Ordonez, dump Konerko's salary onto one of a small handful of teams that could take on his salary and get two solid prospects as well. We all know the defensive and offensive rising youth in Nick Johnson that we'd acquire, but also, Navarro is a young, solid and improving hitting catcher (a position that lacks much depth in the Sox organization). I only know of Navarro of what I've seen via stats, but thus far in AA, he's been impressive: .341-4-37 in 208 AB's; 18/26 BB/K ratio; .471 SLG%, .388 OBP% and solid defense. Plus, the Sox are low on catching prospects.

Residing in Battle Creek, I've seen Joaquin Arias play (MIF) and I like what I see. He recently turned 19, led the BC Yankees w/ 8 triples, hit .266 for the season -- .301 w/ runners on base and .341 w/ runners in scoring position. His defense is even solid -- a Valentin-like performance the first half of the season, but solid the second half (23 errors vs 11 errors). Good hands, good legs -- will develop into a major SB threat at the MLB level. A very young, promising Puerto Rican...MLB-ready probably in 2005 or 2006 at the latest.

Thoughts?

Arias sounds a long long way away

I like Nick Johnson, but not at this cost

I have nothing to say about the catcher

And Another thing: Vlad is not signing with NY....The Yankees will go after alot of guys, but I think the chances of them landing Vlad is very slim

MisterB
10-26-2003, 03:09 PM
Why on earth would the Yanks trade a good young player and two good prospects for a one-year rightfielder and an overpaid firstbaseman? They could sign either Vlad or Sheffield and not have to part with the prospects or get saddled with Konerko.

MRKARNO
10-26-2003, 03:31 PM
As much as I'd like to see Konerko go, I think we need to give him another chance because Konerko's had a steady career before this year and he needs another opportunity. 1 bad year? we can deal with that. 2 bad years? Something is up

RichH55
10-26-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
As much as I'd like to see Konerko go, I think we need to give him another chance because Konerko's had a steady career before this year and he needs another opportunity. 1 bad year? we can deal with that. 2 bad years? Something is up

It has nothing to do with chances.....best case scenario and PK is still not worth the money he makes (but a very large margin) and is thus determental to fielding a winning team unless you somehow magically see a NY payroll in the future

RichH55
10-26-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
Why on earth would the Yanks trade a good young player and two good prospects for a one-year rightfielder and an overpaid firstbaseman? They could sign either Vlad or Sheffield and not have to part with the prospects or get saddled with Konerko.

Sheffield is a posibility...VLad I don't think so.....If money is no object...then Maggs would be your guy though

gosox41
10-26-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by JDP

Thoughts?

It may be a good idea, but the fact is that there's only one team that needs Magglio and can afford him.. The bargaining power is not with the Sox. I'd trade Magglio for Nick Johnson and Jeff Weaver (assuming Weaver is 100% healthy.)

Any trade including Konerko actually brings the value of the trade down because of his big contract. Why bet all that money on him bouncing back to being an average offensive 1B and give up prospects when the Yankees can sign Brad Fullmer for about $6-7 mill.. less?

Bob

soxtalker
10-26-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by MisterB

I agree that it is probably the Yankees that would find this deal most lacking. I guess that the real question is how much they are counting on the two prospects.

On our side, this becomes very interesting if Frank decides to go elsewhere. If not, we have the same issue with his playing time at 1B.

batmanZoSo
10-26-2003, 05:37 PM
No more Nick Johnson for Magglio trades, please.

Nick Johnson stinks.

oldcomiskey
10-26-2003, 06:33 PM
I dont like it for two reasons

one is I cant picture the Sox without Ordonez and two --our defense is bad enough--especially in the outfiels without adding Vlad

JDP
10-26-2003, 07:17 PM
Why would the Sox have Vlad in the outfield?

RichH55
10-26-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
I dont like it for two reasons

one is I cant picture the Sox without Ordonez and two --our defense is bad enough--especially in the outfiels without adding Vlad

What?

Mags is a great player, but by no means is that because of his defense...and anyway Nick Johnson is regarded as a good defensive player......what are you talking about?

oldcomiskey
10-27-2003, 03:09 PM
Ive seen a lot of balls Maggs got to that Vlad wouldnt even touch---Maggs stays

dickallen15
10-27-2003, 04:47 PM
Vlad has a bad back. Someone is going to give him a boatload of money, and hope their insurance premiums don't go too high. He be great for a year or 2, then watch out. Bad backs never totally heal.