PDA

View Full Version : Frank Thomas Watch

RKMeibalane
10-26-2003, 11:53 AM
If memory serves, Frank Thomas had until the end of the World Series to decide whether he wants to use his option to resign with the Sox. Now that the WS is over, it is time for him to decide. So, what will Frank do?

Other Questions:

1. Will Frank's presence have an impact on whether Gaston remains interested? He did say he wants the core to remain intact.

2. Will Frank decide to look for a spot with an NL team so he can play first base more often? If he stays in Chicago, will the Sox new manager be more open-minded than "you know who" was?

3. If Frank declines his option, but still wants to stay with the Sox, how serious is management about keeping him around? Williams seemed happy with the season that Frank had, but is Reinsdorf willing to shell out an additional two million for the Big Hurt?

anewman35
10-26-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
If memory serves, Frank Thomas had until the end of the World Series to decide whether he wants to use his option to resign with the Sox. Now that the WS is over, it is time for him to decide. So, what will Frank do?

I believe he has until a week after the series ends to decide.

soxtalker
10-26-2003, 12:24 PM

1. Will Frank's presence have an impact on whether Gaston remains interested? He did say he wants the core to remain intact.

This may be more appropriate for one of the threads on choice of managers, but I don't get the impression that Frank staying or leaving would have much impact on Gaston's "decision". He's been out of the big leagues for quite awhile, and it doesn't sound like there are a lot of teams considering him. So, while he may indicate a preference for retaining as many veterans as possible, it is hard to see him turning down an offer on the basis of one or two of the veterans not returning. And I don't mean to take anything away from Frank by that; it's just that it sounds like Gaston really wants back in the game.

RKMeibalane
10-26-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
This may be more appropriate for one of the threads on choice of managers, but I don't get the impression that Frank staying or leaving would have much impact on Gaston's "decision". He's been out of the big leagues for quite awhile, and it doesn't sound like there are a lot of teams considering him. So, while he may indicate a preference for retaining as many veterans as possible, it is hard to see him turning down an offer on the basis of one or two of the veterans not returning. And I don't mean to take anything away from Frank by that; it's just that it sounds like Gaston really wants back in the game.

I agree, but I do think the make-up of next season's team may hvae some effect on who the Sox decide to name as manager. As you pointed out, Gaston may decide he wants to manage regardless of who's on the team. I don't know how other candidates feel about the issue. Buddy Bell has managed teams that had no talent (Detroit) and teams that had a fair amount of talent (Colorado), and he was not successful with either organization.

I don't know. It will be interesting to see what happens. I do hope that the new manager, regardless of who he is, uses the players properly. That whole mess with Frank not being at first was extremely irritating, as was the Cotts-Beuhrle fiasco in New York. Those mistakes do not need to be repeated.

gosox41
10-26-2003, 05:21 PM
I agree, but I do think the make-up of next season's team may hvae some effect on who the Sox decide to name as manager. As you pointed out, Gaston may decide he wants to manage regardless of who's on the team. I don't know how other candidates feel about the issue. Buddy Bell has managed teams that had no talent (Detroit) and teams that had a fair amount of talent (Colorado), and he was not successful with either organization.

I don't know. It will be interesting to see what happens. I do hope that the new manager, regardless of who he is, uses the players properly. That whole mess with Frank not being at first was extremely irritating, as was the Cotts-Beuhrle fiasco in New York. Those mistakes do not need to be repeated.

Based on the current group of goofs the team is interviewing, I don't think it matters one iota who is on the team. Maybe Gaston, butall these guys are looking to get back into managing and Guillen is just trying to prove he isn't the flake he was as a player.

Bob

spataro51
10-26-2003, 05:26 PM
I am pretty sure that frank has 1 week from the day after the world series which is today sunday. and he has to make a decision by next sunday. I wonder what will happen if he doesn;t give an answer by next sunday? Will he just have to stay or will he be penalized for not giving an answer or what? I think if thomas chooses to opt out and go some where else, the sox will let him go. they will not pay him 8 mil. I want thomas to stay but if he leaves... well that works out too becuase we save 6 mil on the payroll and we can use it to help sign colon, alomar, gordon and sully.

MRKARNO
10-26-2003, 05:29 PM
If thomas isnt back I will be truly saddened

jabrch
10-26-2003, 09:08 PM
2. Will Frank decide to look for a spot with an NL team so he can play first base more often? If he stays in Chicago, will the Sox new manager be more open-minded than "you know who" was?

RK, How many NL teams would really want him? Lets think about it for a second. Other than the Braves, Mets or Dodgers, I don't see anyone with a need at 1B and the $$$ to go after Frank for 8mm? Will those teams really want Frank? The Mets are scared after their veteran AL experience failed. The Braves have a very limited salary structure right now. I just don't see the Dodgers going that route either.

I'd be willing to be Frank's advisors will tell him that he ought to take the 6mm and stay where he seems to be happy. If he wants to play 1B, the best way to earn that right is to spend all day every day during the offseason working on his defense. If he is our best defensive option, I am sure our next manager will play him there.

cornball
10-26-2003, 09:31 PM
I believe Frank will choose to come back. I don't think he will test the market, thats my opinion. If he doesn't exercise his option, I do not believe the Sox will use theirs to keep him.

RichH55
10-26-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
RK, How many NL teams would really want him? Lets think about it for a second. Other than the Braves, Mets or Dodgers, I don't see anyone with a need at 1B and the $$$ to go after Frank for 8mm? Will those teams really want Frank? The Mets are scared after their veteran AL experience failed. The Braves have a very limited salary structure right now. I just don't see the Dodgers going that route either.

I'd be willing to be Frank's advisors will tell him that he ought to take the 6mm and stay where he seems to be happy. If he wants to play 1B, the best way to earn that right is to spend all day every day during the offseason working on his defense. If he is our best defensive option, I am sure our next manager will play him there.

Cubs too

Gumshoe
10-26-2003, 10:52 PM
Frank would be an IDIOT to not take the 6 MIL. No one else is going to take the chance on him and 6 MIL is actually quite a bit these days, esp. for guys that aren't too young. I would not be saddened AT ALL if he left, but I know he will stay for sure, so I'm just thinking ... Will this new manager be able to stabilize the clubhouse with Frank and create a winning atmosphere? It'll be tough, but it's possible. I think if we do the right things we might have a shot next year.

Gummy

batmanZoSo
10-26-2003, 11:09 PM
I think you'd be an idiot not to take a chance on Frank for 6 million. Name one other DH who hits 40 homers with a .400 on-base percentage. And he's not limited to that role, either. He can play first adequately enough where his bat justifies whatever shortcomings he has. Plus he bats about 50 points higher when he plays defense.

If I were say the Angels owner, I'd be licking my chops at the prospect of Frank becoming a free agent. He's an outstanding hitter, period. The only teams that wouldn't take him either can't afford him or already have a great first baseman and DH.

Brian26
10-26-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Cubs too

Dear god that would be painful to watch. I wouldn't care if he went to any of the other 28 teams, but if he played on the Cubs....man, that would hurt.

JRIG
10-26-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Dear god that would be painful to watch. I wouldn't care if he went to any of the other 28 teams, but if he played on the Cubs....man, that would hurt.

I'm laughing at the picture of Frank playing 1B in those retarded Blue tops the Flubbies wear.

These have to be the worst uniforms in sports, bar none, right?

Brian26
10-26-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
I'm laughing at the picture of Frank playing 1B in those retarded Blue tops the Flubbies wear.

These have to be the worst uniforms in sports, bar none, right?

I haven't watched a lot of basketball or hockey this year, so I can't compare them to any of those unis...

As far as baseball, they're atrocious. They are perfectly acceptable as batting practice jerseys, but they're quite unispiring, and really gay-looking, as everyday jerseys. The fact that the organization let them wear those pitiful things throughout the playoffs was a joke. The Sox black jerseys have so much character and class, they're just perfect. The piping and the sock diamond logo on the side look great, and the number and Sox outlined logo really look sharp in the black, white, and silver. Those blue jerseys are just so plain looking, and the Cub logo inside the red C just doesn't strike fear into the hearts of their opponents.

bc2k
10-26-2003, 11:50 PM
My sources tell me that I want him gone. Boy did we keep the wrong superstar. Should have kept Ventura and taken off the skirt.

Daver
10-26-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
My sources tell me that I want him gone. Boy did we keep the wrong superstar. Should have kept Ventura and taken off the skirt.

Yeah Robin has posted some stellar seasons after he left the Sox.

Gimme a break.

voodoochile
10-26-2003, 11:57 PM

Oh look, it's the return of the Frank Troll. Bored and looking to start an argument, bc2k?

Ventura over Thomas. *****! You really are reaching here...

Kilroy
10-27-2003, 12:49 AM
Frank's new deal is a stupid game of chicken if you ask me. I think a guy w/ Frank's credentials is a steal at 8 mil, but why pay 8 when you can get him for 6, right? Who's gonna flinch?

jabrch
10-27-2003, 12:58 AM
Cubs too

They have many needs greater than 1B. Also need a lefty in the order somewhere. I see them running with Choi and Simon next season. I don't see them spending 8+ on Frank. Do you? They need 4 RPs, a C, a 2B a SS and one more OF along with a 5th starter. They also need to look at Wood (FA after 2004) and Prior (arbitration in 2005).

With Aramis at 3B they like having a guy with a good glove at 1B. If Frank was there, Aramis could easily have Es next year. I don't see Thomas in their picture. Do you?

gosox41
10-27-2003, 08:11 AM

Why are your sources telling you what do to? :D:

Bob

bc2k
10-27-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Oh look, it's the return of the Frank Troll. Bored and looking to start an argument, bc2k?

Damn, you read me pretty well. I guess my intentions were pretty obvious.

Deadguy
10-27-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
Frank would be an IDIOT to not take the 6 MIL. No one else is going to take the chance on him and 6 MIL is actually quite a bit these days, esp. for guys that aren't too young.

You really don't have a clue, do you?

There were 74 players who made 8 million or more dollars last year, and almost 150 that made more than 5 million.

Of all the players that are capable of hitting 40 homers and drawing 100 walks, all of them, with the exception of Rafael Palmeiro, are signed to long term deals at 13-17 million dollars per year.

So saying that Thomas can't get more than 6 million elsewhere is nonsense. We are talking about a guy who was a serious MVP candidate for most of the season.

What he may have difficulty getting is the guaranteed money that is in his current contract.

If he declines his option, I'm sure the Sox will decline the 8 million, and Frank will end up in either L.A., Baltimore (he's stated that's his favorite place to play on the road, or Atlanta (he's from Columbus, GA., and the Braves will need someone to replace Sheffield's bat if he goes to Tampa Bay).

RKMeibalane
10-27-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Ventura over Thomas. *****! You really are reaching here...

My thoughts exactly. It looks like some people have reverted to their old habits. Joy!

RichH55
10-27-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
They have many needs greater than 1B. Also need a lefty in the order somewhere. I see them running with Choi and Simon next season. I don't see them spending 8+ on Frank. Do you? They need 4 RPs, a C, a 2B a SS and one more OF along with a 5th starter. They also need to look at Wood (FA after 2004) and Prior (arbitration in 2005).

With Aramis at 3B they like having a guy with a good glove at 1B. If Frank was there, Aramis could easily have Es next year. I don't see Thomas in their picture. Do you?

They need a 4th OF --> not exactly a huge need

SS - Agon still has a year left

2B- Vidro?

RP -Farnsworth, Remlinger, Borowski looks like they "need" 3 arms

C- they could use an upgrade

How many E's does Frank add playing 1B? Compared to Randall Simon??!?!? This isn't Derek Lee we are talking

Simon/Choi is best case scenario --> For Sox Fans

Frank at 8 per year would be golden for the Cubs...not only in the fact that he would probably be their best hitter, but in how it would further destroy White Sox Baseball....kills two birds with one stone

RKMeibalane
10-27-2003, 08:58 PM
They need a 4th OF --> not exactly a huge need

SS - Agon still has a year left

2B- Vidro?

RP -Farnsworth, Remlinger, Borowski looks like they "need" 3 arms

C- they could use an upgrade

How many E's does Frank add playing 1B? Compared to Randall Simon??!?!? This isn't Derek Lee we are talking

Simon/Choi is best case scenario --> For Sox Fans

Frank at 8 per year would be golden for the Cubs...not only in the fact that he would probably be their best hitter, but in how it would further destroy White Sox Baseball....kills two birds with one stone

The day that I see Frank Thomas wearing a Cubs uniform is the day that Jerry Reinsdorf's life comes to an end.

emaholic
10-27-2003, 11:52 PM
The day that I see Frank Thomas wearing a Cubs uniform is the day that Jerry Reinsdorf's life comes to an end.

True that.

AsInWreck
10-28-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
...Guillen is just trying to prove he isn't the flake he was as a player.

Bob

Are you serious? If guillen was a flake as a player then the current sox players are the biggest group of bumblers I've seen yet.

RichH55
10-28-2003, 01:08 AM

I agree ....just saying it would make alot of sense for the Cubs to do it