PDA

View Full Version : bring back a legend...

IronFisk
10-26-2003, 12:59 AM
Just looking at the photos a little closer, it looks like the original intent along the outfield concourse was to replicate an old neighborhood street facade, complete with period light poles, etc.

How bout this for excitement - how bout bringing back McCuddy's in one of those storefronts? Now THAT would be the cherry!

soxnut
10-26-2003, 01:06 AM
You know, I think that before the new ballpark was built, McCuddy's was supposed to be integrated into it. I don't know why that idea never happened.

I did not have a chance to go to the place when it was around. Just turned 21 around the time of the demolition of the neighborhood where the ballpark is now. But it sounds like a great idea. I'd love for that to happen. :smile:

StillMissOzzie
10-26-2003, 01:19 AM
Didn't then-governor Thompson make some sort of promise to rebuild McCuddy's across the street?

:gulp:
SMO

SaltyPretzel
10-26-2003, 04:45 AM
From what I remember, it was unassembled and was supposed to rebuilt. It never happened. Let's bring this up at Soxfest!!!

PaleHoseGeorge
10-26-2003, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by SaltyPretzel
From what I remember, it was unassembled and was supposed to rebuilt. It never happened. Let's bring this up at Soxfest!!!

McCuddy's was knocked over by a bulldozer and I have a picture to prove it.

Jim Thompson, the governor of Illinois, gave a verbal assurance to the owners of McCuddy's that they would be taken care of. He didn't specifically mention anything inside the ballpark. Today there is no more McCuddy's so that says plenty about who was calling the shots on the IFSA. And it wasn't the governor of Illinois.

jortafan
10-26-2003, 07:46 AM
The state offered the owners of McCuddy's a new location for a bar up on 32nd street, which the owners deemed to be too far away from the stadium to attract enough business to be worthwhile.

The bar owners themselves wanted to be inside the new stadium, which JR and state officials considered unacceptable.

So nothing happened.