PDA

View Full Version : One Year From Now...


RKMeibalane
10-25-2003, 11:34 PM
Will we be celebrating?

The march to the 2004 World Series starts now. Are you listening, JR?

TornLabrum
10-25-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Will we be celebrating?

The march to the 2004 World Series starts now. Are you listening, JR?

:reinsy

"Huh? Wuzzat? Sorry I must have dozed off. Did somebody say something?"

gosox41
10-26-2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Will we be celebrating?

The march to the 2004 World Series starts now. Are you listening, JR?

I think all Sox fans will be hiding in their closets, pantries, basements, or getting the heck out of town because I think the Cub can win it all next year.

It hurts me to say that and I'm rooting against them, but as long as Prior, Wood, and Zambrano don't break down I think it could be a long season for Sox fans. Add that to the fact that the Cubs are talking about raising their payroll $10 mill., getting back Patterson, and losing another $15 mill. in Mark G. and Karros, and having Ramirez for a full season and I get a pain in my stomach like someone is twisting a knife in it.

Bob

Lip Man 1
10-26-2003, 12:26 AM
What Uncle Jerry is saying is "who needs to spend money to win a title? Just look at Florida!"

This is the worst thing that could happen to Sox fans. Uncle Jerry now has his precedent.

Lip

dugwood31
10-26-2003, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
I think all Sox fans will be hiding in their closets, pantries, basements, or getting the heck out of town because I think the Cub can win it all next year.

It hurts me to say that and I'm rooting against them, but as long as Prior, Wood, and Zambrano don't break down I think it could be a long season for Sox fans. Add that to the fact that the Cubs are talking about raising their payroll $10 mill., getting back Patterson, and losing another $15 mill. in Mark G. and Karros, and having Ramirez for a full season and I get a pain in my stomach like someone is twisting a knife in it.

Bob

There's reason for hope. Alou and Sosa are in the downward arc of their careers. Borowski's bubble will burst. They're in bad shape at second and first base.

MRKARNO
10-26-2003, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
I think all Sox fans will be hiding in their closets, pantries, basements, or getting the heck out of town because I think the Cub can win it all next year.

It hurts me to say that and I'm rooting against them, but as long as Prior, Wood, and Zambrano don't break down I think it could be a long season for Sox fans. Add that to the fact that the Cubs are talking about raising their payroll $10 mill., getting back Patterson, and losing another $15 mill. in Mark G. and Karros, and having Ramirez for a full season and I get a pain in my stomach like someone is twisting a knife in it.

Bob

No, the Cub fans will be EXPECTING a world series, but that doesnt neccessarily mean that the cubs will even be a playoff team next year. Remember, they won the central by a measly 1 game! To think it's a lock for them to make the playoffs next year is just stupid.

gosox41
10-26-2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by dugwood31
There's reason for hope. Alou and Sosa are in the downward arc of their careers. Borowski's bubble will burst. They're in bad shape at second and first base.

I hope you're right. It scares me that the Cubs have roughly $25 mill. to spend and they are also going to dump Alfonseca, which frees up more money.

Bob

gosox41
10-26-2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
No, the Cub fans will be EXPECTING a world series, but that doesnt neccessarily mean that the cubs will even be a playoff team next year. Remember, they won the central by a measly 1 game! To think it's a lock for them to make the playoffs next year is just stupid.

I se Houston and St. Louis being dramatically weaker next season. Both are rumored to be cutting payroll, and at the very least not adding to it. St. Louis has no pitching, unless they're GM gets creative this offseasin. The AStros will give the Cubs the most competition in the NL Central, based on how things are right now.

Bob

MRKARNO
10-26-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
I se Houston and St. Louis being dramatically weaker next season. Both are rumored to be cutting payroll, and at the very least not adding to it. St. Louis has no pitching, unless they're GM gets creative this offseasin. The AStros will give the Cubs the most competition in the NL Central, based on how things are right now.

Bob

I still cant see how you're annointing the cubs as NL central champions without seeing the moves by any of the involved teams.

gosox41
10-26-2003, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I still cant see how you're annointing the cubs as NL central champions without seeing the moves by any of the involved teams.

Because the core is in place. My one caveat is that Prior, Wood, and Zambrano need to stay healthy. I can't predict injury for them or anyone else. Based on how the other teams in the Central are shaping up, the Cubs are ahead of them. The fact that Houston and St. Louis are looking to keep payroll the same or even cut it concerns me greatly.

It kills me to right this about the Cubs, but it's the way I feel. I hope I'm wrong.

Bob

Thunderstruck30
10-26-2003, 01:11 AM
The Cubs havent had back to back winning seasons since I think 71-72.

nasox
10-26-2003, 01:12 AM
the thread starter was will WE be celebrating, not will THEY be celebrating (this is WSI)? And i think that nobody in chicago will be celebrating. Although, i REALLY hope I am *wink*.

ScottyTheSoxFan
10-26-2003, 08:54 AM
after the big choke by the scrubs - i think a certain billy goat has something to do with it. the cubs wont do anything next year.

hsnterprize
10-26-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Will we be celebrating?

The march to the 2004 World Series starts now. Are you listening, JR? I'd love to believe so. There are so many reasons why teh Sox should do what the Marlins did last night. However, we all know that as long as Uncle Jerry is pulling the strings with the Sox, he'll use the Marlins' success as an excuse not to allow K.W. to do whatever it takes to bring the title to the south side.

doublem23
10-26-2003, 10:01 AM
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha... The Cubs... ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Yay Marlins! Go Sox!

jabrch
10-26-2003, 10:45 AM
We are burdened too much by 2 bad contracts to win. If we didn't have to deal with Koch and Konerko's dog deal, maybe...we'd be able to resign Colon, Gordon and Alomar and go out and get a SS or a CF. But with a 60mm max salary cap and 13 burnt for 2 dogs, I don't see it. It would be a miracle if Kenny can pull this off.

RKMeibalane
10-26-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
We are burdened too much by 2 bad contracts to win. If we didn't have to deal with Koch and Konerko's dog deal, maybe...we'd be able to resign Colon, Gordon and Alomar and go out and get a SS or a CF. But with a 60mm max salary cap and 13 burnt for 2 dogs, I don't see it. It would be a miracle if Kenny can pull this off.

I agree. Williams SOMEHOW needs to find a way to get rid of Konerko or Koch. I don't it's possible to find takers for both players, but one will do. The other issue, as you pointed out, is that players such as Colon, Gordon, and Alomar must be resigned. Frank must also be resigned. Now that the World Series is over, he has to make his decision, IIRC.

oheeoh...magglio
10-26-2003, 11:59 AM
There is no reason to worry about the Cubs. Sure they will have Patterson back, but Alou and Sosa are getting older, they are ****ed at 1st and 2nd base and not too good at catcher, and they have no bullpen. Also, Borowski won't have this kind of year. Add that with Patterson and Ramirez coming back, they might end up with a similar record next year as they had this year, and I think that won't be enough to even beat Houston in their division.

rcescato
10-26-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
No, the Cub fans will be EXPECTING a world series, but that doesnt neccessarily mean that the cubs will even be a playoff team next year. Remember, they won the central by a measly 1 game! To think it's a lock for them to make the playoffs next year is just stupid.


The problem with the Cubs going anywhere is with history.
History shows in more than my lifetime no Chicago baseball team
has won thier division or made the playoffs 2 years in a row. The closest was the White Sox in 93 and 94 of which we all know what happened that year. I definitely see the Sox winning their division. They have to. If they don't we will be washed away in this town. I believe Reinsdorf and Williams know that. I just hope that Jerry will make all the right moves instead of the wrong ones we are accustom to. We as fans do deserve that.
Rich

GoSox2K3
10-26-2003, 02:39 PM
I think it's up to JR to make this a WS contending team. I think he could definitely do it without breaking the bank.

HOWEVER, I expect that he won't to it. He'll stick to his already mentioned payroll cap and won't budge. He's too shortsighted to realize that investing a little more in this team could payoff in the long term. That'll never happen.

GoSox2K3
10-26-2003, 02:43 PM
Question: Does anyone know if the Sox expect a decent bump in season ticket sales from the promising season they just had and the planned renovations at the park? If so, could that possibly affect ownership's payroll limit?

gosox41
10-26-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by oheeoh...magglio
There is no reason to worry about the Cubs. Sure they will have Patterson back, but Alou and Sosa are getting older, they are ****ed at 1st and 2nd base and not too good at catcher, and they have no bullpen. Also, Borowski won't have this kind of year. Add that with Patterson and Ramirez coming back, they might end up with a similar record next year as they had this year, and I think that won't be enough to even beat Houston in their division.

They also have $25-30 mill. to spend if the rumors hold true that they intend on raising their payroll $10 mill. That kind of money can fill a lot of holes.

Bob

spataro51
10-26-2003, 04:19 PM
What i don;t understand is ..... Doesn't the free agency peroid start November 1st? Then why would kenny williams say "it will depend on how many season ticket holders we have to determine how much we will raise the payroll and sign free agents." Ok fine.. but the the thing is the sox season tickets don;'t go on sale to the end of november and they are on sale all the way throught the year, so how can he come up with that scenario about signing people and knowing houw much money they will have to spend?

gosox41
10-26-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by spataro51
What i don;t understand is ..... Doesn't the free agency peroid start November 1st? Then why would kenny williams say "it will depend on how many season ticket holders we have to determine how much we will raise the payroll and sign free agents." Ok fine.. but the the thing is the sox season tickets don;'t go on sale to the end of november and they are on sale all the way throught the year, so how can he come up with that scenario about signing people and knowing houw much money they will have to spend?

If anything, I think the number of season ticket holders decreases since there is no All Star game. I'd be shocked if people are buying season tickets because of the UD renovations. Some guy sitting in the lower bowl (ie me) could care less of the top 6rows of the UD are there or gone. In fact, I think it's a waste to move them. Those 4 games a year when the Sox do sell out it's actually going to hurt their attendence. The seats are a sunk cost...it's not like having them is costing the team money so why not keep them? Do the Sox really expect that many people to start buying UD tickets because there's a roof there and 6 less rows?

Bob

spataro51
10-26-2003, 04:31 PM
you got a point. The only thing i like about the renovations is that it will make the park look nice. Heck i won;t sit in the upperdeck, i mean i have sat there before, it is not bad but if i had a choice as to where to sit. i wouldn't sit there. I hope this upper deck homerun patio in the outfield is cool, i wouldn't mind sitting there for a few games, at least from what the picture look like.

voodoochile
10-26-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
If anything, I think the number of season ticket holders decreases since there is no All Star game. I'd be shocked if people are buying season tickets because of the UD renovations. Some guy sitting in the lower bowl (ie me) could care less of the top 6rows of the UD are there or gone. In fact, I think it's a waste to move them. Those 4 games a year when the Sox do sell out it's actually going to hurt their attendence. The seats are a sunk cost...it's not like having them is costing the team money so why not keep them? Do the Sox really expect that many people to start buying UD tickets because there's a roof there and 6 less rows?

Bob

It's a sunk cost only if they cannot improve the public's perception of the UD by making changes. Can the Sox gain enough UD tickets to offset the 4 sellouts a year you mention? Since that is only 24K seats (less than $500K in cash flow) it won't take much to make it up. That is only 300 seats a game average. So, if the Sox can make the UD more appealing to casual fans, they should make up any lost revenue fairly easily, IMO.

batmanZoSo
10-26-2003, 05:27 PM
voodoo,

I agree. The Cell will be all over the news, 100% more than usual at least. They should definitely rake in more money this year. Just the fact that the place looks a lot nicer from the outside and on television will make more people come. How many more remains to be seen.

gosox41
10-27-2003, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
It's a sunk cost only if they cannot improve the public's perception of the UD by making changes. Can the Sox gain enough UD tickets to offset the 4 sellouts a year you mention? Since that is only 24K seats (less than $500K in cash flow) it won't take much to make it up. That is only 300 seats a game average. So, if the Sox can make the UD more appealing to casual fans, they should make up any lost revenue fairly easily, IMO.

I can see your point, but I think it's overrated. You don't think idiots like Marriotti are still going to be talking about the angle of the UD? Also, I haven't seen the plans, but if any of the new top level UD seats are obstructed in anyway, it gives fans something else to complain about.

The bottom line as always is for this team to draw it needs to win. The second half proved that point. How many 30K+ crowds did the Sox have in the second half? Would they have reallky drawn 300 more people a game because the UD didn't have 6 rows?

Bob

SoxxoS
10-27-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
They also have $25-30 mill. to spend if the rumors hold true that they intend on raising their payroll $10 mill. That kind of money can fill a lot of holes.

Bob

Not when Kerry Wood's and Mark Prior's arms fall off b/c of Dusty's overuse. Too many 130 pitch outings for Woody this year. I wouldn't be suprised if he went down next year. Prior I am not so sure, b/c of his flawless mechanics.

But I think one of them will.

voodoochile
10-27-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
I can see your point, but I think it's overrated. You don't think idiots like Marriotti are still going to be talking about the angle of the UD? Also, I haven't seen the plans, but if any of the new top level UD seats are obstructed in anyway, it gives fans something else to complain about.

The bottom line as always is for this team to draw it needs to win. The second half proved that point. How many 30K+ crowds did the Sox have in the second half? Would they have reallky drawn 300 more people a game because the UD didn't have 6 rows?

Bob

It isn't just the missing rows, it is the roof and improved amenities. How can it hurt to try anyway? The public's perception of the UD is horrible. I think that started to change a bit this year when they forced people to sit up there and people started to realize it isn't as bad as it's media image suggests. If they are going to continue to force people to sit up there then they should make changes to make it more appealing. They are. Are they the right changes? Will it actually make a difference? I have no idea, but at least they are trying.

I agree that if the Sox don't win, they won't draw, but again, there will be casual fan money out there to be grabbed next year due to the flubbies being nearly a sellout and winning a playoff series this year. The Sox need to change the stadium to draw those fans.

Hopefully they can retain most of the fans they got this year because of their relative success, chasing the playoffs late into the year. People are a sucker for hope and regardless of how people on this board feel, less intense fans are going to be "waiting for next year" in anticipation of taking the next step.

gosox41
03-09-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
I think all Sox fans will be hiding in their closets, pantries, basements, or getting the heck out of town because I think the Cub can win it all next year.

It hurts me to say that and I'm rooting against them, but as long as Prior, Wood, and Zambrano don't break down I think it could be a long season for Sox fans. Add that to the fact that the Cubs are talking about raising their payroll $10 mill., getting back Patterson, and losing another $15 mill. in Mark G. and Karros, and having Ramirez for a full season and I get a pain in my stomach like someone is twisting a knife in it.

Bob

I was bored tonight and going through some old posts when I saw a comment I made in response to the top post. This was my response back in October, and many told me I was wrong.

Well I certainly hope so. But I think the Cubs are in an excellent position to do some major damage in 2004. I said so when they were eliminated from the playoffs, and IMHO the 2004 team is better then their 2003 team.

I know the Astros got better and the Cards got worse and there is a a long season ahead, but as Sox fans, I think the Cubs are still going to make it a long summer for us.

Bob

DSpivack
03-10-2004, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
I was bored tonight and going through some old posts when I saw a comment I made in response to the top post. This was my response back in October, and many told me I was wrong.

Well I certainly hope so. But I think the Cubs are in an excellent position to do some major damage in 2004. I said so when they were eliminated from the playoffs, and IMHO the 2004 team is better then their 2003 team.

I know the Astros got better and the Cards got worse and there is a a long season ahead, but as Sox fans, I think the Cubs are still going to make it a long summer for us.

Bob

I'm hoping and praying that I'll be in Atlanta this summer [summer school] because I think this could be the worst summer ever for a Sox fan.

Sure, the Cubs haven't had back-to-back winning seasons in decades. But who is much better in the NL? Sure, they won just 88 games last year, but the Astros-even with Pettitte and Clemens- have their holes, the Cards aren't much, the Phils and Mlarlins are the only good teams in the East and have a few needs; the West features the one-mean team in the Giants, many questions in LA, a who knows in San Diego, and not much else.

It's scary.

Here's to hoping Sosa and Alou suck, Wood and Zambrano show that aren't very good in the first place, Clement regresses, the bullpen blows up, etc.

Here's to wishing me being in Atlanta.

ChiSoxBobette
03-10-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
I think all Sox fans will be hiding in their closets, pantries, basements, or getting the heck out of town because I think the Cub can win it all next year.

It hurts me to say that and I'm rooting against them, but as long as Prior, Wood, and Zambrano don't break down I think it could be a long season for Sox fans. Add that to the fact that the Cubs are talking about raising their payroll $10 mill., getting back Patterson, and losing another $15 mill. in Mark G. and Karros, and having Ramirez for a full season and I get a pain in my stomach like someone is twisting a knife in it.

Bob

You must have been brainwashed by all the scrub propaganda.