PDA

View Full Version : My letter to Jay

Soxboyrob
08-31-2001, 03:49 PM
Here's the letter I quickly sent out to Mariotti after reading his column this morning and pondering it for a few hours over the morning coffee. Please forgive me for being reasonable w/ the man instead of giving him a true piece of my mind. I've heard that they'll give more credence to your letter if you're not overly rude and nasty.

Dear Jay Mariotti,
I reluctantly read you column everyday and I happen to be one of the rarest of individuals, commonly known as a Sox fan. I didn't write to cuss at you or call you filthy names, but would like to see you more accurately report the truth. You often fall prey to using wild exaggerations in order to make your point.

To even suggest that Cub fans might outnumber Sox fans here by a factor of 10-1 is so ridiculous that I don't see how you don't fear losing your little bit of remaining credibility when making such statements. You could probably have used 2-1 or even 3-1 and not really raised many eyebrows.

To repeatedly refer to Comiskey as a ballmall and not outwardly acknowledge that it has many positive attributes is also very biased of you, considering that there are very few fans or even critics of the park that don't acknowledge that the whole lower deck is quite nice, comfortable and fan friendly.

Has it occurred to you that adding greenery in centerfield makes perfect sense from a backdrop and asthetic perspective? Why do you think so many other teams have done it? Why must we assume that it is a clear theft of a Cubdom idea?

Jay, I could go on and on and on. Sox fans are as critical if not more critical of the Sox' ownership and management than you are. But you tread on the fans' better sense and their feelings when you go on to tear up the team, organization and park. Most Sox fans are quite happy with the park and team. Sox fans are out there. Please give us just a little bit of credit. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Sincerely Yours,
Rob Zuiker

Fisk Fan
08-31-2001, 04:04 PM
SoxboyRob, that was great! You are a little more peaceful than others, but your point is well understood. I think if enough people make statements and letters like this, we might make some sort of impact.

FarWestChicago
08-31-2001, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Fisk Fan
SoxboyRob, that was great! You are a little more peaceful than others, but your point is well understood. I think if enough people make statements and letters like this, we might make some sort of impact.

I doubt it. Moronotti is a no talent, gutless, sensationalist hack writing for a tabloid. You can't make an impression on losers like that unless you use a 2x4 or something.

Fisk Fan
08-31-2001, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago

I doubt it. Moronotti is a no talent, gutless, sensationalist hack writing for a tabloid. You can't make an impression on losers like that unless you use a 2x4 or something.

I meant with the newspaper. They might tell him to tone it down a little bit. If enough people cancel their subscriptions and stop buying their newspaper, someone at the paper is going to start asking questions.

voodoochile
08-31-2001, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago

Daver? Suggestions?