PDA

View Full Version : Okay, who thinks Steinbrenner's gonna blow up this club:

ChiSox14305635
10-25-2003, 10:33 PM
Besides Clemens and Wells being gone, who else will no longer be wearing Yankee pinstripes?

MRKARNO
10-25-2003, 10:35 PM
Pettite and everyone in the bullpen not named Mariano Rivera. Karim Garcia gone as well most likely

ChiWhiteSox1337
10-25-2003, 10:35 PM
George should put all the blame on HIMSELF!!! Only a $200 million payroll this season? what a joke, he should apologize to all the fans for failing to win this year because of that pitiful payroll

CWsox45
10-25-2003, 10:42 PM
Jeff Weaver, Yanks have been wanting to deal him for awhile.

I look for Cashman to deal him in the off-season, than again I don't know anyone who would want him.

I sure don't.

CWSOX45

VeeckAsInWreck
10-25-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by CWsox45

I look for Cashman to deal him in the off-season, than again I don't know anyone who would want him.

I sure don't.

CWSOX45

Billy Beane will work his magic again!

Edit note: Purple means sarcasm for now. With all respects to the Marlins!

santo=dorf
10-25-2003, 10:49 PM
I think George is going to blow up that starting rotation and make Bartolo Colon his #1 priority in the offseason. :(:

ChiSox14305635
10-25-2003, 10:51 PM
Ultimately, Steinbrenner could sign Colon, Millwood, & Maddux, and he still wouldn't win the WS because his teams for a couple of years now have lacked team chemistry. Until he finds more people like Paul O'Neill, Scott Brosius, & Luis Sojo, the Yankees won't be hoisting that trophy for awhile.

WhiteSox = Life
10-25-2003, 10:51 PM
We all know the real reason the Yankees couldn't pull thru... Their lineup was too weak... I mean, Aaron Boone at third; Karim Garcia in right? Who cares about the other players? That's just a poor lineup anyway you look at it.

Note: Purple is sarcasm for now.

:smile:

VeeckAsInWreck
10-25-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
We all know the real reason the Yankees couldn't pull thru... Their lineup was too weak... I mean, Aaron Boone at third; Karim Garcia in right? Who cares about the other players? That's just a poor lineup anyway you look at it.

Yo Life,

Thanks for going with the purple suggestion! :smile:

Daver
10-25-2003, 11:03 PM
Purple is my color,I trademarked it a long time ago.

But then again what the hell do I know &copy

VeeckAsInWreck
10-25-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Daver

But then again what the hell do I know &copy:

I bet you invented the internet too didn't ya?

Hey, I could get used to this! :smile:

Daver
10-25-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck

Al Gore invented the internet,but I copyrighted the color purple.

VeeckAsInWreck
10-25-2003, 11:12 PM
Al Gore invented the internet,but I copyrighted the color purple.

OK, now I am confused. You mean you copyrighted the color or the book? :D:

greenpeach
10-26-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life

The Yankees have been poor situational hitters all year long. This trend continued during the WS. You aren't going to win too many championships batting 7 for 51 with RISP. :whiner:

gosox41
10-26-2003, 12:09 AM

I sure don't.

CWSOX45

PK for Weaver...assuming Weaver is 100% healthy. It sounds like playing in NY has really screwed wit his head.. If he is 100% healthy, I think he can bea good pitcher plaus no more Paulie!!!!

WhiteSox = Life
10-26-2003, 01:27 AM

But then again what the hell do I know &copy

Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck

But, I always thought that... Wait, you mean it wasn't the quote that was copyrighted?!

WhiteSox = Life
10-26-2003, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by greenpeach
The Yankees have been poor situational hitters all year long. This trend continued during the WS. You aren't going to win too many championships batting 7 for 51 with RISP. :whiner:

Not to mention when you bat 0-12 or 13 with runners on base, including 4 strikeouts and a few double plays in an elimination game. That's not going to help much either.

santo=dorf
10-26-2003, 01:31 AM
Not to mention when you bat 0-12 or 13 with runners on base, including 4 strikeouts and a few double plays in an elimination game.
Sounds like Konerko would be a good fit in New York.

oldcomiskey
10-26-2003, 09:04 AM
one thing youre forgetting--the Yankees have no use for Konerko--come to think of it--neither do I--the only thing hes done right is married well

soxtalker
10-26-2003, 10:51 AM
Any chance that the Yankees will go after Big Frank?

OneDog
10-26-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Pettite and everyone in the bullpen not named Mariano Rivera. Karim Garcia gone as well most likely

Getting rid of Pettite would not be a smart move. The guy won 21 games and was their strongest starter all year. They are already losing Clemens and probably Wells, If they let Pettite walk, then they have a very suspect rotation.

oheeoh...magglio
10-26-2003, 11:35 AM
Wells, Clemens, and entire bullpen except Rivera and Contreras will be gone. Garcia and Boone will also be gone. I think they will re-sign Pettite, if they don't, I have no idea what King George is thinking because Pettite is maybe the best lefty in all of baseball. Although I could be wrong, maybe George will have a mass firesale, cut payroll to about 50 million, stack up his minor league system, and build for the future.

Paulwny
10-26-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by OneDog
Getting rid of Pettite would not be a smart move. The guy won 21 games and was their strongest starter all year. They are already losing Clemens and probably Wells, If they let Pettite walk, then they have a very suspect rotation.

Agree
I was watching the YES Network after the game, they called it the Post Mortem show.

The feeling was the signing of Pettite was the no. 1 priority, no matter the cost. Many also felt that because of the salaries of the starting players many were untradeable without picking up part of the salaries. Also, some of them have no trade clauses.

The only player some of them felt teams would be interested in was Nick Johnson but, he would only be traded for an above ave. starting pitcher.

Huisj
10-26-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker

why would they? nick johnson and giambi and thomas all on the same team? what sense would that make?

Nick@Nite
10-26-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
why would they? nick johnson and giambi and thomas all on the same team? what sense would that make?

Common sense and Georgie Porgie are sometimes two distinct beings... an elusive commodity for The Loss... er, I mean The Boss.

greenpeach
10-26-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Huisj

King George is irrational. He wanted to sign David Ortiz of the Red Sox. Now you tell me. What do the Yankees need with three (Giambi, Johnson, Ortiz) left-handed 1B/DH's ? Wisely Brian Cashman talked him out of it. However, I'm sure Cashman would never had heard the end of it, if the Red Sox had beaten the Bombers in the ALCS.

Banix12
10-27-2003, 03:12 AM
Predicting what George is going to do is a fruitless endeavor but i think it's going to be fun to watch how rediculous the yankees payroll is going to get this offseason. They are locked into a ton of players already at $107 million dollars. That's after subtracting Clemens and Wells and the other guys who are taking off after this season.

If you look at the starters he has on payroll now his starting rotation starting next season would be

1.Mussina
2.Contreras
3.Lieber
4.Weaver
5.More than likely a free agent (and probably a few others to take the place of some of the above.

Now they are not going to find any takers to take on a guy like Weaver's contract unless they take on a problem case of their own so they are more than likely stuck with him or going to pay for him to play for someone else.

They have almost nobody on the team that anybody wants to trade for because of salary implications with the one exception being Nick Johnson and possibly a few minor leaguers. Lieber could catch an eye too since he is only signed for like a million next year, even if he is coming off injury.

With so many older expensive guys who can't play the field well on this team (Bernie Williams, Jason Giambi) and younger expensive guys who can't play the field well (Soriano) they can't unload any of these guys without taking part of their salary or taking an expensive washed up older guy off another team like Larry Walker.

I'll bet next year they will find a way of breaking the 200 mil barrier even with contracts being a bit cheaper now. If not by the start of the year, then definitely by the trade deadline.

I bet they don't even win the division next year. the division is going the be stronger, the coaching staff is going to be gone, and Steinbrenner is going the be so unbearable it's going to drive the team to a nervous breakdown.

ChiSox14305635
10-27-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker

If Frank decides to decline the 6 million option, you know Steinbrenner will try to.

Paulwny
10-27-2003, 10:54 AM
From Newsday:

Torre will return, possible moves with fa's and possibly trading Soriano:

"Soriano, 25, put up 2003 statistics that seem very respectable on the surface, as he hit 38 homers and stole 35 bases. But he has frustrated numerous team officials with his slow learning curve and either his refusal or inability to alter his game. He set a postseason record with 26 strikeouts, and he continues to struggle fundamentally at second base."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-yank273511918oct27,0,6884779.story?coll=ny-sports-span-headlines

fledgedrallycap
10-27-2003, 11:18 AM

I sure don't.

CWSOX45

I wouldn't trade much for him, but if the Yankees ate a good chunk of his contract, there would be plenty of teams out there willing to take a chance. The Yanks probably haven't reached the point of cutting bait with the guy for nothing in return.