PDA

View Full Version : Those low payroll teams...


MarkEdward
10-25-2003, 10:56 PM
... just can't compete...

PaleHoseGeorge
10-25-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
... just can't compete...

:reinsy
"Shuddup!"

:tool
"Yeah, what he said!"


:smile:

Lip Man 1
10-26-2003, 01:41 AM
Even a blind squirrel stumbles into an acorn now and again.

It was a fluke just like the 2000 Sox.

But whatever the reason why can't the Sox get to a World Series?

Lip

gosox41
10-26-2003, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Even a blind squirrel stumbles into an acorn now and again.

It was a fluke just like the 2000 Sox.

But whatever the reason why can't the Sox get to a World Series?

Lip

There are numerous reasons why the Sox can't get to the series. And payroll fallls on the list, I just don't think it's as big a factor as you make it out to be. I know what the numbers say, and money does make it easier to win, but there are more important issues.

Bob

nasox
10-26-2003, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

But whatever the reason why can't the Sox get to a World Series?

Lip


Well, for one, the Marlins were built off of pretty good pitching, amazing defense, and great baserunning while our sox live and die with the 3 run bomb

RichH55
10-26-2003, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by nasox
Well, for one, the Marlins were built off of pretty good pitching, amazing defense, and great baserunning while our sox live and die with the 3 run bomb


Pitching solved alot of problems

Check out Castillo's SB to CS number....Great?

white sox bill
10-26-2003, 06:55 AM
Those low payroll teams...

Don't give Uncle Jerry any ideas that they CAN compete!!

PaleHoseGeorge
10-26-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by white sox bill
Those low payroll teams...

Don't give Uncle Jerry any ideas that they CAN compete!!

Reinsdorf will spin the results in whatever way that suits his needs.

Marlins win...

:reinsy
"The Sox don't need a large payroll to compete and the magnificant Marlins prove the point!"

Marlins lose...

:reinsy
"The Sox can't compete because the big markets have all the money, and the pitiful Marlins prove the point!"

Reinsdorf has everyone in Chicago stuck in a logical box. He needs to get serious about winning like he never has shown himself to be since 1981-84. 20 years later, it's obvious we'll never get to "Point C" going the way we're going now.

soxtalker
10-26-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
There are numerous reasons why the Sox can't get to the series. And payroll fallls on the list, I just don't think it's as big a factor as you make it out to be. I know what the numbers say, and money does make it easier to win, but there are more important issues.

Bob

Quite frankly, I think that the Marlins win (and success of teams like the A's and Twins) points out pretty convincingly that payroll is NOT first on the list. We're missing a lot of the things that JR and his organization do poorly when we put so much of the focus of our criticism on his payroll limitations.

cornball
10-26-2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
Pitching solved alot of problems

Check out Castillo's SB to CS number....Great?


Amen!

Pitching is the name of the game!!!!!!!!

Despite the what reports, we don't have a lights out pitcher in our system ready to help this year and haven't in a long time. In order for us to have a chance it will take money.

Without a stud young pitcher, like Beckett or Prior or the like you have to pay for that Colon is showing you a solid pitcher is worth 13MM per or more.

JRIG
10-26-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by nasox
Well, for one, the Marlins were built off of pretty good pitching, amazing defense, and great baserunning while our sox live and die with the 3 run bomb

The Marlins have Pierre who runs...and that's about it. Castillo stopped running halfway through the year because he kept getting thrown out. Other than that, their lineup does hit a lot of doubles and home runs -- Conine, Cabrera, Lee, Lowell, I-Rod...none of those guys rely on "speed."

jabrch
10-26-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by nasox
Well, for one, the Marlins were built off of pretty good pitching, amazing defense, and great baserunning while our sox live and die with the 3 run bomb

We could win with our salary cap if we wasted no money. But with 13mm tied into Koch and Konerko, we can't win. Florida has NO wasted money. That's how they were able to do it.

greenpeach
10-26-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by cornball
Amen!

Pitching is the name of the game!!!!!!!!

Despite the what reports, we don't have a lights out pitcher in our system ready to help this year and haven't in a long time. In order for us to have a chance it will take money.

Without a stud young pitcher, like Beckett or Prior or the like you have to pay for that Colon is showing you a solid pitcher is worth 13MM per or more.

I agree with your comment. However, I think it needs qualification. To win the championship you need excellent power pichers ala Beckett, Clemens, Schilling & Johnson. The Braves pitching staff has consisted of finesse pitchers like Glavine & maddox for years & the results in the post season were mixed to say the least. In the post season, umps will not give you the wide strike like in the regular season. I believe that is one of the big reasons that they haven't been more successful in the post season.

maurice
10-27-2003, 03:33 PM
The Fish defeated a "veteran" Yankees team with few significant contributions from any player over the age of 31. Indeed, the victory primarily should be attributed to a handful of "can't miss kids."

It should be clear by now that winning on a low budget requires the development of good, young starting pitchers. Unfortunately, that's easier said than done. Nonetheless, if Sox ownership continues to refuse to shell out the big bucks, it looks like KW has no choice but to focus on developing his young pitchers. His other alternatives are futile.