PDA

View Full Version : Hey Everyone, I found the Last Yrs Renovations Pics

Hangar18
10-25-2003, 10:40 PM
Remember the ones that were Mysteriously Taken Down by
that TX Architect ? I hurried and Downloaded them, but couldnt find them til I cleaned my place up. Enjoy.

Hangar18
10-25-2003, 10:43 PM
and for the Added Bonus, heres the Pic of the LF Concourse.
Remember How I kept mentioning that I liked the Addition of the
Faux Buildings in LF, and that they should MAKE THEM REAL and
able to be used Year Round? Check this out .....

ChiWhiteSox1337
10-25-2003, 10:46 PM
that looks awesome. are those the arches in the upper deck that they plan on adding? if so, sweet!!!!

TornLabrum
10-25-2003, 11:07 PM
Looking at the first drawing, I haven't heard anything since last year about the addition of that addition near where the players' parking lot is. It was supposed to contain restaurants, shops, etc. and be open year-round, I think. I have a feeling that plan isn't going to come to fruition.

Another thing, notice the difference in the "bridge" over 35th St. I believe that's still in the plans, but I can't remember if it's for 2004 or 2005.

A.T. Money
10-25-2003, 11:15 PM
I like it. I reeeeeally really like it. The trees in the outfield are kinda odd, but I think it can actually be a good thing. Very unique. I can see how it's a flat roof on the UD and there are arches cut into them.

Seats are still blue, but who cares...the park in these sketches looks wonderful.

MRKARNO
10-25-2003, 11:28 PM
Talk about a great looking ballpark...

Edit: I can't stop staring at these pics!

IronFisk
10-26-2003, 12:22 AM
WOWSIE, WOW, WOW, WOW!!

YOU ROCK HANGER!!!

Poor WS management - blew their BIG news!!

Those pics DO look awesome! Are they really thinking of tearing down those ramps? I don't care - what a LOOK!

:)

soxnut
10-26-2003, 01:40 AM
Those pictures do look awesome. The park looks very classic. I can't wait.

StillMissOzzie
10-26-2003, 01:50 AM
I like the right field porch, too. It's clearly lower than the current upper deck. Back on Opening Day 1991, I noticed that the floor of the new upper deck was about the same height as the roof of Old Comiskey. Those right field seats sure bring back part of the look, as well as the altitude, of the Old Comiskey upper deck, which I always liked. (as long as you weren't behind a post, anyways)

:gulp:
SMO

soxnut
10-26-2003, 01:55 AM
I love the look, but the ramp over 35th looks kind of weird. How are people supposed to get to the upper deck? I suppose if the offices are moved to the building on the corner, then the inside of the park can be cleared for ramps. Thanks alot for the pics Hangar!!!!! :D: :smile:

nasox
10-26-2003, 02:03 AM
say hangar, do u work as an investigative reporter? nice job

As for the pics, I like the roof/upper deck-it is just sweet and the outfield porch thing is nice but the building is kinda weak. Maybe they could use exposed steel in the building and use some type of glass that reflected less light back at the viewer. I dunno why, but it seams kind of to modern to me. It feels like another damn suite. Also, would the entrance/gate to the park be located at the gate behind home plate-it would fit better there to me.

nasox
10-26-2003, 02:04 AM
actually, my bad
after a second look at the building in the outfield concourse, i see the exposed steel and i see the cool look of the building. I dont know-i think i spaced out when looking at the building the first time. I really like it now after i took a better look at it.

A.T. Money
10-26-2003, 02:46 AM
Man, I keep looking at these pictures too......how exciting.

RedPinStripes
10-26-2003, 02:48 AM
That's one hell of a ball park.

ihatethecubs
10-26-2003, 05:39 AM
thats awesome. i hope someone from the white sox sees what all your responses have been to these pics.

john2499
10-26-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
that TX Architect ? I hurried and Downloaded them, but couldnt find them til I cleaned my place up. Enjoy.

Since, they were "Mysteriously" taken down, JR didn't want anyone to see them because......They probably aren't going to do some of the things in the pix ? Too bad though, it looks very good.

I hope I am wrong.

ozzman
10-26-2003, 10:28 AM
its hard to tell, but im pretty sure there are no posts showing in the ud

hsnterprize
10-26-2003, 10:32 AM
If U.S. Cellular Field ends up like the pictures Hangar posted, then we will have a great ballpark. However, we all know that regardless of how the ballpark looks...it's the TEAM ON THE FIELD that will determine how many people fill the seats night after night.

The place does look great in the pics. It's cool to dream, isn't it?

hsnterprize
10-26-2003, 10:34 AM
How about a dot matrix sign in the shape of the centerfield scoreboard near the main entrance of the place. The sign could display announcements and animation similar to the current sign near the Dan Ryan Expressway. Just a thought.

Nick@Nite
10-26-2003, 10:43 AM

Wow! Hope it becomes a reality... thanks!

PaleHoseGeorge
10-26-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by ozzman
its hard to tell, but im pretty sure there are no posts showing in the ud

I was looking at that, too. It looks like the new roof is using another cantilever design to prop up the weight above the seats, similar to what was used on the roof above the New McCormick Place. It's expensive but removes the posts that would otherwise block the fans' view.

If you look closely at that same picture, you can see the arched windows at the rear of the upper deck. Very cool! Those are the views of the Chicago skyline everyone has been clamoring for!

:knue
"Bah! WGN will never show camera angles of the Chicago skyline from the Cell. Everyone knows the skyline is only visible from the Urinal, the most perfect edifice ever created by God!"

bc2k
10-26-2003, 10:54 AM
Isn't the outside color of Comiskey tan? These photos show a grey color. The grey color matches the rest of the design, but even if we do get most of these renovations completed, you can't change the entire outside color of the park, can you? That cannot be in the budget. I'd rather have new green seats than changing the outside color of the park.

Thanks for the photos Hangar.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-26-2003, 10:56 AM
On second look, it does appear there are posts holding up the new upper deck's roof. You can see them clearly obstructing the view through openings of the arched windows. However, the new posts are so far back in the deck, I doubt they would affect anyone's view of the playing field.

It really shouldn't matter that you no longer have an unobstructed view of every other seat in the upper deck. Maybe that's what Gallas was talking about when he talked about "breaking down the space" in the upper deck. I always felt like one lonely fish swimming in a vast blue sea whenever I was sitting up there. :smile:

anewman35
10-26-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
Isn't the outside color of Comiskey tan? These photos show a grey color. The grey color matches the rest of the design, but even if we do get most of these renovations completed, you can't change the entire outside color of the park, can you? That cannot be in the budget. I'd rather have new green seats than changing the outside color of the park.

Thanks for the photos Hangar.

Well, they changed the color inside last off season, so they probably could change the outside if they wanted to.

Also, thanks Hanger for finding these. Let's just hope the official ones look this good.

A.T. Money
10-26-2003, 12:36 PM
I don't think they are looking to change the color of the exterior. I believe it's just the way the picture looks.

Hangar18
10-26-2003, 04:27 PM
Glad everyone is getting a kick out of the pics, something to
look at in the offseason. I cant take Credit for the Pics though,
someone here at WSI (cant remember who now) Tipped
everyone Here about that Architects website, and the Pics
that were there, I just hurried up, and Downloaded them ( I kind of knew those pics would "disappear") and good thing
I did, because Remember how Fast they came down?

xil357
10-26-2003, 05:47 PM
If that building in left field were moved slightly toward center, they even could put in a "roof top" deck on top of it. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em, right?

Also, I like the brick facade of the outfield concourse. The way it is rendered in the illustration makes it look like a neighborhood downtown street with 2 or 3-story buildings.

Though somewhat rough, and although finished products never turn out exactly like the plans look, if this is the type of look and feel for which they are striving, the Cell will turn into a fantastic baseball park.

Now, if they would think outside the box and adopt the aspect of the Armor Field plan to convert the parking lots into mixed use parking garages with brick facades for retail, restaurants, coffee shops and loft apartments, the scene around the Cell would improve even more. If they did that, I have an idea for a business... a night club/dance club/live music venue... CLUB NUCLEUS. (Get it? The Cell? Nucleus?)

EDIT: If they strengthened the supports of the right field upper deck (home run porch as some call it and others refuse to call it), and if the second deck was not too high, they could put a patio area on top of the roof of that deck. It still would not be as high as the main upper deck, but it would provide an area not unlike the roof tops of the houses across Waveland and Sheffield from Wrigley, but with an even closer view of the action on the field. That area could be open for all games, but would also allow the Sox to accommodate fans who buy "standing room only" tickets to high-demand games. That also further ups the capacity and overcomes the loss of the seats in the top rows of the original upper deck. They probably could accommodate as many as 50,000 fans for Sox-Cubs games and playoff games. But when they only have 14,000 for a weeknight game in May, the stadium won't look so empty, either.

Those brick facade areas could be rented out to vendors like Home Run Inn Pizza and Starbucks (or even a White Sox pro shop run by the Gap?). Does this add to a commercialized "ballmall" factor? Perhaps. But if they opened it up to vendors who paid rent money, that would guarantee a certain amount of profits instead of straight concession sales. But families and yuppies eat that stuff up, and it is them who the Sox need to draw to the games to up attendance and increase revenues. The value to the vendors would be obvious; signs hung on the brick facades are free advertising.

Again, I'm not in favor of creating phony charm for the sake of phony charm, as I believe that real Sox fans rightfully care about the team on the field more than they care about how the media and the public at large view the park in which the team plays. But again, the Wrigley model is successful at drawing fans and making money. Replicating and improving upon some of the things upon which the Cubs capitalize is a good public relations strategy, IMHO. If the media criticizes the Sox for copying elements of Wrigley, there is an automatic reply:

"Yes, but at least we don't have to pee in the sinks and wash our hands in piss."

Now just please don't copy the ivy...

voodoochile
10-26-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
If you look closely at that same picture, you can see the arched windows at the rear of the upper deck. Very cool! Those are the views of the Chicago skyline everyone has been clamoring for!

It also appears that the US has been sloped if you look at the side of it in the LF concourse picture.

batmanZoSo
10-26-2003, 06:08 PM
Hangar, first of all nice work :), xil357, I like your ideas as well. Anything to get more commerce outside the park will go a long way. We have to attract young non-fans. None of them want to just go to see a game for the grandeur of it, they want to make a day out of it and drink. Frankly, so do I.

I think the two shots don't do much justice for how it's gonna look. It'll be even better than the pics show. I really like the black steel. Painting the scoreboard structures black was great and now the roof is gonna match. I'm starting to think no way for green seats. The black and blue scheme really works. And new parks are going with blue seats now including PNC, the new Philly park and San Diego which both open next year. Maybe green will become passe and our place will be part of the new trend of ballparks.

To give a more assymetrical feel they should extend left field to the bullpen and cut off right field where the diamond club thing begins, so it would not wrap around on that side. And also go with a second deck in right, but PLEASE don't copy Texas. That's like putting up our own green monster for the love of Pete.

MRKARNO
10-26-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo

I think the two shots don't do much justice for how it's gonna look. It'll be even better than the pics show. I really like the black steel. Painting the scoreboard structures black was great and now the roof is gonna match. I'm starting to think no way for green seats. The black and blue scheme really works. And new parks are going with blue seats now including PNC, the new Philly park and San Diego which both open next year. Maybe green will become passe and our place will be part of the new trend of ballparks.

Well maybe we can just fill the seats so we dont have to worry about that

soxwon
10-26-2003, 06:40 PM
are these pics of what might happen to the Cell- or pics of what they originally wanted for us way back when?

batmanZoSo
10-26-2003, 06:47 PM
Seems pretty tentative to me. We'll know for sure what it's gonna look like in a few weeks when they officially release the designs. The building beyond left field is in the picture, but is not being built yet. I don't know about the home run porch...when is that going down, next year or what?

Wsoxmike59
10-26-2003, 07:08 PM
Soxwon, those are the architect's rendering's for the proposed changes and renovations that are currently underway and are now seeing down at Sox Park.

I can hardly contain my excitement!! I really love it!! I love the new roof and the RF Upperdeck. Very retro looking!! RF is very reminicent of old Tiger Stadium in Detroit...well I think so anyway.

I think it gives the ballpark the intimacy it was lacking in the beginning. It's a definite step in the right direction for the franchise. Great job by the architect and good job for posting the pic's Hangar18

For what it's worth, my only complaint with Comiskey II when it opened was the top 1/3 of the Upper Deck. It really was way too high to enjoy a game from up there. I had always said to friends and colleagues that if they had stopped the UD at row 20 and built a double decked OF like Old Comiskey everybody would've raved about the place.

DannyCaterFan
10-26-2003, 08:32 PM
If that is what we can look forward too in a ballpark for 2005, then I say terrific! Finally a baseball field with charm and appeal. Why couldn't they have done this back in 1990? You can bet the biased north side media will still find something wrong with it when comparing it to the "Shrine". Love the pictures.

Jerry_Manuel
10-26-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Seems pretty tentative to me. We'll know for sure what it's gonna look like in a few weeks when they officially release the designs. The building beyond left field is in the picture, but is not being built yet. I don't know about the home run porch...when is that going down, next year or what?

The photos we're put up at the beginning of the 2003 season, and pulled down withing hours. I think alot of the new improvements depended on how much money the Sox we're able to get from the naming rights.

batmanZoSo
10-26-2003, 09:00 PM
They better not put poles up there, just to get a few more feet of roof hangover. That's retarded. I'd rather they leave it as is than do that. I'll probably be up there for the cubs series and be behind a pole. Believe me I know, if a pole is blocking the batter, your whole day is ruined.

3rdgensoxfan
10-27-2003, 12:57 AM
It would finally look like a baseball park NOT a misshapen football stadium. . .. I'm very encouraged. :D:

Hangar18
10-27-2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by xil357
If that building in left field were moved slightly toward center, they even could put in a "roof top" deck on top of it. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em, right?

Also, I like the brick facade of the outfield concourse. The way it is rendered in the illustration makes it look like a neighborhood downtown street with 2 or 3-story buildings.

I too have been CALLING FOR THEM TO MAKE THOSE FAUX BUILDINGS REAL, and open for year round use. Put those 1920's looking Advertising Signs to work, and put them atop the Buildings, along with Roof Decks for the Patrons of these bars/restaurants. MAN would that place Look Cool ...........
Every Thomas HR on ESPN would show our buildings in left.....

maurice
10-27-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Looking at the first drawing, I haven't heard anything since last year about the addition of that addition near where the players' parking lot is. It was supposed to contain restaurants, shops, etc. and be open year-round, I think. I have a feeling that plan isn't going to come to fruition.

That would be a tragedy. IMHO, the building in the LF corner would be the most successful improvement.

I've been advocating the commercial development of 35th St. to increase attendance for some time, and that would be a step in the right direction. The rents generated by such a building would defray its cost. Also, it appears to tie in with the rumor of a grand entrance facing 35th/Wentworth. It would provide a more attractive facade as viewed from the Ryan and break up congestion by allowing el riders to avoid a trip to Shields. Finally, it appears to connect the UD to a large rooftop deck facing downtown. That would be a nice addition to the Cell's year-round facilities.

dllrbll7
10-27-2003, 04:25 PM
I too have been CALLING FOR THEM TO MAKE THOSE FAUX BUILDINGS REAL, and open for year round use. Put those 1920's looking Advertising Signs to work, and put them atop the Buildings, along with Roof Decks for the Patrons of these bars/restaurants. MAN would that place Look Cool ...........
Every Thomas HR on ESPN would show our buildings in left.....

What Hanger your getting tired of taking all the tv time when frank hits a hr? LOL JK

Randar68
10-27-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Another thing, notice the difference in the "bridge" over 35th St. I believe that's still in the plans, but I can't remember if it's for 2004 or 2005.

They won't do that until they construct the grand LF entrance or something similar to it.

Foulke You
10-27-2003, 05:51 PM
Those rendered shots look pretty nice. I noticed that the RF porch looks different than the concept drawings that were originally shown by HKS architecture. They got rid of the billboards above the HR porch which is good. I always thought that would look odd if they put those up there above the HR porch.

Foulke You
10-27-2003, 05:52 PM
Also, I noticed that the light standards aren't real detailed in the new renders provided by Hangar. I wonder if they will be able to use the existing light standards or if they will have to build Old Comiskey like light towers so that the light will shine above the canopy? Old Comiskey-ish light towers along the lines might be a nice touch to help complete the retro makeover for the park.

batmanZoSo
10-27-2003, 06:08 PM
They are redoing the light standards. And they will be towers instead of the current ones which just rest on the canope because the stadium isn't as tall now and they have to keep the lights at the same height as before.

Foulke You
10-27-2003, 07:39 PM
Found an interesting article about the upcoming renovations on an engineering company website. Apparently the company is overseeing a lot of the structural changes to the park. Some of the info in the article is old news but some of it is new to me.

Among the new improvements will be a "Fundamentals Park Area" somewhere near the Left Field stands. The article also confirms the building of the home run porch which includes concession areas up there. Interesting read. The Comiskey related stuff is below as well as a link to the site I got the info from.

U.S. Cellular Field (formerly known as Comiskey Park) -
Chicago, Illinois
In January 2003, the Chicago White Sox and U.S. Cellular created a unique partnership, renaming the ballpark U.S. Cellular Field. Along with the name change came the idea of dramatically improving and renovating the ballpark over the next several years.
Environmental Systems Design, Inc. is providing mechanical, electrical, plumbing and fire protection consulting engineering services for renovation work at the park.
This project consists of a multi-year series of improvements making the park more “fan-friendly”.

Our consulting engineering services include enclosing and upgrading the club level, the addition of a lounge area to the club level, addition of a home run porch – including concession areas, enlargement and enhancement of the right field lounge area, realignment of the bull pens (and related seating and storage area enhancements), enhancement of the centerfield “batters eye” area – including the addition of a centerfield concession stand and seating area, improvement of the upper level concourse, parking lot and promenade lighting upgrades, upgrading the concession workers locker area, reduction of the upper deck seating area, the addition of a fundamentals park area in the left field stands area, renovation and expansion of the existing Chicago White Sox offices, upgrade of luxury suites and façade improvements throughout the park.

Link to Engineering Site (http://www.esdesign.com/projects_stadiums.htm)

ShoelessFred
10-29-2003, 02:10 PM
is it just me or does the home run "porch" seem to be behind the bleechers and stand above the concourse?

batmanZoSo
10-29-2003, 02:27 PM
Shoeless,

I don't think it's you, I noticed the same thing. I certainly hope it isn't. They should put it over the concourse with a slight overhang so as to avoid the need for poles. That would be an architectural disaster from an aesthetic standpoint.

ShoelessFred
10-30-2003, 02:28 AM
it's still all speculation at this point. it will either look good, or be a disaster.

Frank the Tank
11-10-2003, 09:48 PM
Those pics seem very promising. I hope that is how the park will look, but I just can't believe they can remove the never-ending ramps within the provided budget. I am hoping the color scheme will not be blue/gary and given all the new improvements (scoreboards, fan deck) it will probably wind up being dark green. I like the trees in the outfield concourse and hope they plant them. I can't even recognize the rendering as being Comiskey II. It really looks like a completely different stadium. The park definitely looks like it is going to come out much better than I ever expected. If attendance does not pick up in the future, no one can ever say its because of the stadium.