PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle Velocity Down

Soxboyrob
08-31-2001, 02:28 PM
I didn't take the time to watch the velocity reading during last night's game to see where Buehrle is currently sitting. If any of you did, please comment.

I have noticed, however, that Buehrle's strikeout ratio is quickly dropping. This signals to me that there is either something wrong w/ his arm or he's merely becoming more mortal. About half way through this season, he was averaging 7.5 or so K's per 9 innings. Over his last several starts, he's been knocking down about 1-3 K's per game, bringing his Avg K's per 9 down to 5.34. This is truly a bad trend if he wants to remain dominant. History will show that few, if any, pitchers have remained dominant or won consistently when averaging less than 4 or 5 k's per 9 innings. There have been those that have done it over a season's span, but not really for a career.

I mostly had the game on the radio or had the tv on mute w/out any radio. Was there any discussion of any drop in velocity during either broadcast? I did hear last night on John Hood's show that Buehrle's next start might be skipped to give him over a full weeks rest. He's probably fine, but these are not the kinds of things I like hearing.

34 Inch Stick
08-31-2001, 02:32 PM
The guy pitched a complete game and gave up three runs. If that is a bad trend I wish it would follow the rest of our pitchers.

Iguana775
08-31-2001, 02:40 PM
i think he is just getting tired. this is his first full season so it is not too far fetched that he is a little exhausted.

Soxboyrob
08-31-2001, 02:56 PM
I must say, I fully agree w/ the above two posts. As long as he keeps getting results, we'll all be happy. But like I said, no pitcher has been able to sustain a winning career while striking out less than 4 guys per game. I hope it's just a blip on the screen.

Exhausted is perfectly understandable. I'd bet he's thrown about 50 more innings this season than in any previous season. One would have to assume, anyway. Farmer last night noted that young pitchers have a tendency to become mentally fatigued more than physically fatigued. I tend to agree that that is what's happening here.

Randar68
08-31-2001, 03:29 PM
One would have to assume, anyway. Farmer last night noted that young pitchers have a tendency to become mentally fatigued more than physically fatigued. I tend to agree that that is what's happening here.

I have noticed in his last 5-7 starts, that his velocity is down anywhere from 2-5 mph.....It's fatigue, but we really need him out there eating innings every fifth day. He's about our only current starter to consistently get past the 6th, and this year's bullpen is just too shallow....

Iguana775
08-31-2001, 04:52 PM
does anyone know is average innings per start?? has to be about 7 or more. the guy has 3 or 4 CG's

LongDistanceFan
08-31-2001, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
does anyone know is average innings per start?? has to be about 7 or more. the guy has 3 or 4 CG's

Ref his arm, I HOPE THAT IS THE CASE, can you imagine another pitcher getting surgery?

He reminds me of the old pitcher who can come in and pit 7-9 innings of ball.

KempersRS
08-31-2001, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775

It's 7 exactly.