PDA

View Full Version : 2004 minor league F/A's

Daver
10-25-2003, 02:46 PM
Here is the list.

CHICAGO WHITE SOX (19)
Pitchers: Brian Cooper, Clay Eason, Rolando Garza, Tom Jacquez, Ryan Kohlmeier.
Catchers: Jon Aceves, Carlos Maldonado, Steve Morales.
Infielders: Gabe Alvarez, Jorge Nunez, Juan Piniella, Danny Sandoval, Chris Saunders.
Outfielders: Chad Durham, Jon Hamilton, Scott Morgan, Nate Murphy, Mario Valenzuela, Eric Welsh.

JDP
10-25-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Here is the list.

CHICAGO WHITE SOX (19)
Infielders: Gabe Alvarez, Jorge Nunez, Juan Piniella, Danny Sandoval, Chris Saunders.
Outfielders: Chad Durham, Jon Hamilton, Scott Morgan, Nate Murphy, Mario Valenzuela, Eric Welsh.

Focusing on the one's I've seen and would think the Sox should pick up the minor league contracts on and perhaps might have an impact or be a positional player sometime in the near future.....

Carlos Maldonado is a 24 year old AA catcher -- not a position the Sox have much depth on -- and considering he was a FA sign back in January, you'd think the Sox would want to keep young, depth at the C position. Career .257 minor league hitter but good behind the plate.

Danny Sandoval better not go anywhere -- a young IF who hit .287 this year, doesn't hit for much pop, but can steal a base. A bit error-prone thus far, but offensively, probably models closest to Luis Castillo.

Ray-Ray's little brother is getting up there in age for a "prospect" (he turned 25 in June), but Chad can run and is a defensive gem that will probably be up in Charlotte in 2004. Seven years in the minors to date and he' been as high as AA -- probably because the highest he ever hit in a full schedule was .276. Absolutely no pop in his bat, but has stolen 50+ bases 3 years in the minors (however, 15 for 31 in 2003). Durham is a poor man's Juan Pierre, but if he ever hit .280+, that's exactly who he'd model.

Not sure about the rest, only read articles or scouting reports on them. Mario Valenzuela used to be a .280-25-90 hitter in the minors, but his stats for 2003 were much lower than that. I do not know if he's "fading" or was injured or what is going on with him.

ScottyTheSoxFan
10-25-2003, 03:34 PM
wasnt gabe alvarez the next big thing in detroit a few years back?

RichH55
10-25-2003, 04:14 PM
Here is the list.

CHICAGO WHITE SOX (19)

Always good to have a Mario Valenzula reference

MarkEdward
10-25-2003, 05:01 PM
Here is the list.

CHICAGO WHITE SOX (19)

May I ask where you got this list?

Lip Man 1
10-25-2003, 05:12 PM
CHICAGO WHITE SOX (19)

As Mr. Burns says in the Simpsons Halloween episode called "Bart Simpson's Dracula..." Ahhh. fresh victims for my ever growing army of the undead..."

Lip

Daver
10-25-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
May I ask where you got this list?

Baseball America,they put it up yesterday.

NC_sox_fan
10-26-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by JDP
Not sure about the rest, only read articles or scouting reports on them. Mario Valenzuela used to be a .280-25-90 hitter in the minors, but his stats for 2003 were much lower than that. I do not know if he's "fading" or was injured or what is going on with him.

Mario had shoulder surgery this summer. Last year he had Tommy John. Hopefully he'll be back up to full strength if he re-signs with the Sox for next year.