PDA

View Full Version : What personality type would best fit the sox manager?


MRKARNO
10-25-2003, 11:31 AM
A lot of people on this board keep dismissing managers because of personality. I think every single candidate has been dismissed by someone for this reason. What personality traits would the ideal white sox manager have to fit the clubhouse full of veterans who arent leaders (based on what we hear)?

TornLabrum
10-25-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
A lot of people on this board keep dismissing managers because of personality. I think every single candidate has been dismissed by someone for this reason. What personality traits would the ideal white sox manager have to fit the clubhouse full of veterans who arent leaders (based on what we hear)?

As long as the two frontrunners are Gaston and Guillen, I have to go with Guillen's personality. From all I've heard about Gaston, he's Jerry Manuel without the tinkering. These clowns need a good stiff kick in the rump.

Ozzie and Robin Ventura were the clubhouse leaders with the Sox when they were there together. Guillen takes nothing from nobody, but he also like to keep things loose. The way the Sox sphincter muscles were tightening in September after we got the lead by two games, we need somebody who can do that.

On the takes-nothing-from-no-one side, I heard a great story about Ozzie and Frank Thomas somewhere. Thomas was goofing off taking grounders at short. Ozzie was livid. He ran out to him and started shouting, "You can't even play defense at your own position! Get over there and get to work!"

Sounds like my kind of guy.

MRKARNO
10-25-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Ozzie and Robin Ventura were the clubhouse leaders with the Sox when they were there together.


So would it be a good or bad idea to have Guillen as our manager and Ventura as either a 3rd base coach or a bench player?

guillen4life13
10-25-2003, 11:57 AM
That idea is guaranteed to be a huge soap opera in the clubhouse. Ozzie and Robin have not said the most complimentary things about Frank over the last couple of years.

I think Cito is our man.

batmanZoSo
10-25-2003, 01:37 PM
It doesn't really matter what personality type the next guy has. You bring in a screamer and you usually get quick results, but if he's not really a good solid manager, it'll all end just as quick.

Gaston would be fine here.

Thunderstruck30
10-26-2003, 12:22 AM
I just want someone with experience that can motivate them and make them believe...and not tinker.

gosox41
10-26-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
It doesn't really matter what personality type the next guy has. You bring in a screamer and you usually get quick results, but if he's not really a good solid manager, it'll all end just as quick.

Gaston would be fine here.

I think Gaston is a big mistake. Everyone keeps saying how quiet and laid back he is. It's ridiculous. Plus is the Toronto media really racist as he claims???

Bob

nasox
10-26-2003, 01:20 AM
i want a leader if we have a clubhouse with no leaders.

It seems logical.

KingXerxes
10-27-2003, 02:31 PM
The big question I have concerning Ozzie Guillen is this:

Here are the Marlins - run by a 72 year old Jack McKeon - who can't say enough great things about Ozzie Guillen and his readiness to manage a big league team. They push and push him in the media, closer and closer to the White Sox job.

If Guillen were truly great manager material, wouldn't the Marlins kind of want him to stick around? I don't suspect Jack McKeon will stick around as manager of Florida too much longer now that he's won it all.

"Beware of Floridians bearing gifts" - or something like that.

Daver - I know you and I are on the same page concerning Guillen. If they hire this guy, get ready for some disastrous baseball and public relations.

mikef1331
10-27-2003, 02:42 PM
Hey, as long as the Sox are considering past players as Managers how about Bo Jackson? Cause we all know "BO, KNOWS BASEBALL!" :D:

Seriously though, I think Grady Little will now be a top choice for the job... he did a pretty good job with the "Other Sox" (even though he did leave Pedro in too long in game 7 of the ALCS)... he'd still probably do well here

KingXerxes
10-27-2003, 02:59 PM
If the Red Sox are actually canning Grady Little because he left Pedro Martinez in too long in the 8th that game - well then they don't deserve to ever win another World Series. The fact that Boston came back against Oakland after losing the first two says more about Little than the fact that his ace blew a 3-run lead against the Yankees.

mikef1331
10-27-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
If the Red Sox are actually canning Grady Little because he left Pedro Martinez in too long in the 8th that game.

Most likely that's 90% of the reason why he's gone, I don't see any other logical reason why they would fire him.. but then again the Red Sox aren't very logical.... they're too busy blaming their losses on the big fat ghost of Babe Ruth