PDA

View Full Version : 99 days.... Soxfest

southsidegirl
10-24-2003, 12:22 PM
.....Until Soxfest! Who's excited?!?!?!?!?! I am!

Iwritecode
10-24-2003, 12:25 PM
The package deals through the hotel (1-night or 2-nights) are already on sale. Anyone planning on going? I am ordering mine tonight after I get home.

Same prices as last year although I didn't see anything about 4 tickets to a 2004 home game...

Tickets for individual days don't go on sale until November. I had a blast last time and hope to meet a few more posters this time around!

Iwritecode
10-24-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by southsidegirl

Well, I guess I started writing my post a little too early... :cool:

Mods: can these threads be combined???

voodoochile
10-24-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Well, I guess I started writing my post a little too early... :cool:

Mods: can these threads be combined???

You are SOOOO late... :D:

Iwritecode
10-24-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
You are SOOOO late... :D:

I'm a day late and a dollar short for everything today huh???

:?:

Oh well, nothing unusual for me.

So VC, are you going to make an apperance again? I am promising myself that this time I'll make it into the bar with my WSI shirt on.

ewokpelts
10-24-2003, 12:34 PM
Code,
Did you call the hotel?Perhaps they know if 2004 tickets are included. I plan on getting a hold of my rep and see what he knows.
Gene

steff
10-24-2003, 12:37 PM
Hmm.. guess we'll be there again. Staying the night this time though.. and there will be a Cosmo limit set, and enforced!!

Iwritecode
10-24-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
Code,
Did you call the hotel?Perhaps they know if 2004 tickets are included. I plan on getting a hold of my rep and see what he knows.
Gene

Not yet. I haven't seen too many details released yet though.

I just hope they know what's going on this time around. Last year when I called it seemed like they didn't know about the package deal. I finally had to call the national 1-800 # for reservations.

Iwritecode
10-24-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by steff
Hmm.. guess we'll be there again. Staying the night this time though.. and there will be a Cosmo limit set, and enforced!!

If you're staying the night and don't have to worry about driving home, why set a limit?

:)

Gargamelle
10-24-2003, 12:53 PM
Stupid question, but what exactly IS SoxFest? What kind of events do they have? Is it just players signing autographs?

I've never been to SoxFest (obviously!), but I'm thinking of going to the next one. However, if it's just an autograph-hound event, I don't think I'd be too interested in it. Any thoughts?

voodoochile
10-24-2003, 12:54 PM

LOL!

Where's the fun in that? :D:

Hangar18
10-24-2003, 12:57 PM
SoxFest is fun to take the kids/nephews/nieces to, they can meet the players and get autographs. Us grownups like it because
the have the booths downstairs and EVERYTHING is On Sale and Dirt Cheap. Hard to find Sox Merchandise can be found down there too. I like going because it means Spring Training is around the Corner, and I hook up with all the other WSI'ers
and drink in the bar afterwards. It is "spring training" for the
fans, its a blast ....

Iwritecode
10-24-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Gargamelle
Stupid question, but what exactly IS SoxFest? What kind of events do they have? Is it just players signing autographs?

I've never been to SoxFest (obviously!), but I'm thinking of going to the next one. However, if it's just an autograph-hound event, I don't think I'd be too interested in it. Any thoughts?

Well yes, it's a place to get autographs but it is also a whole lot more. There's plenty of booths set up where you can just about any kind of Sox memorablia (new and old) you want. There are Q & A session with the management and players. There's stuff for the kids (batting/throwing practice) there's "how to" sessions with current players. (Crede did one how to hit last year for example.) There's also the White Sox garage sale where you can by lots of game-used stuff or old bricks/chairs from old Comiskey.

Best of all, you're surronded by fellow Sox fans! (except for that one moron last year that wore a Cubs hat...)

If you stay the night in the hotel, there is a bar where a bunch of WSI posters got together last year and had a good time (or so I heard). :D:

Scotty347
10-24-2003, 01:03 PM
My wife and kids were bored to death waiting an hour and a half for Joe Crede's autograph.

My girls were 1 1/2 and 6 last year at Soxfest and didn't like waiting in line.

I think this year I'm going to go by myself or with a buddy.

LuvSox
10-24-2003, 01:09 PM
My wife took me last year, I was recovering from a surgery so it wasn't all that fun. But this time, :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :D:

washington
10-24-2003, 01:15 PM
WSI had a booth at SoxFest a few years ago, has it had one since? I actually saw that Ronnie Woo Woo moron at SoxFest last year, wearing his filthy Scrub uniform

Viva Magglio
10-24-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
My wife took me last year, I was recovering from a surgery so it wasn't all that fun. But this time, :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :D:

The real highlight of that weekend is nighttime in the atrium bar over the entrance. There, players and front office staff ususally hang out and play six bucks for a twelve-ounce bottle of beer. Last SoxFest, me and two other people got to convese with KW.

Iwritecode
10-24-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Scotty347
My wife and kids were bored to death waiting an hour and a half for Joe Crede's autograph.

My girls were 1 1/2 and 6 last year at Soxfest and didn't like waiting in line.

I think this year I'm going to go by myself or with a buddy.

I bring my wife along and she's not all that bored. Mostly she gets excited to see Maggs cause he's "cute".

The only time I brought my any of my kids was a couple of years ago when I brought my youngest daughter. She was about 4 months old. Other than that one time, the kids always spend the weekend with their grandparents. Unless they're really into the game or the team, it is difficult to get any kid to wait in line for a long time.

I brought my 2 older girls (4 & 6) to a game last year on kids day. They got some autographs and ran the bases but I don't think they really understood what was going on. It's more difficult when they are younger. They are more interested in Barbie and My Little Pony right now...

Scotty347
10-24-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Other than that one time, the kids always spend the weekend with their grandparents. Unless they're really into the game or the team, it is difficult to get any kid to wait in line for a long time.

I brought my 2 older girls (4 & 6) to a game last year on kids day. They got some autographs and ran the bases but I don't think they really understood what was going on. It's more difficult when they are younger. They are more interested in Barbie and My Little Pony right now...

That is a great idea - the grandparents house!! I will use that for Soxfest 2005. I have a new son this year so he is too little to leave for the weekend.

As for your comment on the older girls, you have to get going on them! My Little Pony? My 2 year-old loves the Sox. She says "He gone" and "You can put it on the board yes" Even when I put the World Series games on, the first thing she says is "Do you like the fireworks?"

I guess as a weekend season ticket holder I dragged them to about 10 games this year.

I didn't stay at the hotel last year and didn't go to the bar. That sounds like it would be the best part.

Brian26
10-24-2003, 01:35 PM
Joe Borchard bought me a gin martini (Dotson gave it to me because he didn't want it).

thepaulbowski
10-24-2003, 01:35 PM
The nice thing is after going for the last few years, I've gotten most of the current players autographs. So, I can just get the few new guys and older players that show up and go to more seminars. I think they become more enjoyable as you go to more of them.

Iwritecode
10-24-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Scotty347
As for your comment on the older girls, you have to get going on them! My Little Pony? My 2 year-old loves the Sox. She says "He gone" and "You can put it on the board yes" Even when I put the World Series games on, the first thing she says is "Do you like the fireworks?"

I think they are influenced by their mom too much. She can get a little annoyed when I am watching a game every night for a week straight. So far I've at least gotten them to hate the Cubs and Packers. Not sure if they'll ever be big fans of the Sox. Maybe casual fans. I haven't started working on my 2-year-old quite yet. She does recognize the the Sox symbol though.

StillMissOzzie
10-24-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by washington
WSI had a booth at SoxFest a few years ago, has it had one since? I actually saw that Ronnie Woo Woo moron at SoxFest last year, wearing his filthy Scrub uniform

Yeah, what he said. It sounds like plenty of WSI folks will be there, but will we have any OFFICIAL WSI representation? Screw Ronnie Woo Woo, he used up a ticket that a Sox fan could have used, and they HAVE sold on, at least on a Saturday I wanted to go one year.

I've did the 2 day package a few years ago now, but probably not for 2004. A few years ago, I got Ron Scheuler's autograph - in the atrium bar!

Now, my son is old enough to play his Game Boy while he waits impatiently in line with me for autographs, but he's not too old to want to do the batting cage, either.
:gulp:
SMO

whitesoxwilkes
10-24-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
Yeah, what he said. It sounds like plenty of WSI folks will be there, but will we have any OFFICIAL WSI representation?

Back corner of the atrium bar is all the representation we need. That was the fateful night I first met Voodoo and Hangar18...

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

...who's gonna join us this year? Viva?

dllrbll7
10-24-2003, 07:45 PM
Atrium bar here i come! Definately stayin the weekend this time

Nick@Nite
10-24-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
Back corner of the atrium bar is all the representation we need. That was the fateful night I first met Voodoo and Hangar18...

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

DAMN! DAMN! DAMN!!! I'd wish I could be there... beer, WSI folks, and a chance to rub elbows with the players, coaches, and KW equals a seemingly hell of a good time. :cool:

I'll be working when Sox-fest happens... can't get away... Dammit. :(:

Please :gulp: one for me.

Daver
10-24-2003, 07:53 PM

...who's gonna join us this year? Viva?

Do they have a metal detector at the Hilton?

TornLabrum
10-24-2003, 09:28 PM

I'll be there, maybe or maybe not with Jeff, depending on his recovery from surgery he's scheduled to have in November. The wife doesn't like these things, so I have no idea if I'll have company.

It is a wise move, Steff, that you're spending the night.

mike squires
10-24-2003, 09:53 PM
Not going this year. We are expecting on December 4th. CAN'T AFFORD IT!!! In fact doubt if we'll go to a game next year. We've gone to the last 2 Soxfest and had a hell of a time and usually go t 5 to 7 games a year. I'll miss it ut I also look forward to our little one!!!

whitesoxwilkes
10-24-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I'll be there, maybe or maybe not with Jeff, depending on his recovery from surgery he's scheduled to have in November. The wife doesn't like these things, so I have no idea if I'll have company.

It is a wise move, Steff, that you're spending the night.

Jeff's in our thoughts Hal...wish him good luck.

ewokpelts
10-24-2003, 11:11 PM
Hey,

Plan on getting the weekend package. Any plans for an after party? I'll bring the PBR.
Gene

TornLabrum
10-24-2003, 11:37 PM
Jeff's in our thoughts Hal...wish him good luck.

Will do.

batmanZoSo
10-24-2003, 11:49 PM
Do you have to stay in the hotel? Can't you just go for a few hours?

StillMissOzzie
10-25-2003, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Do you have to stay in the hotel? Can't you just go for a few hours?

No, you don't have to stay in the hotel, but there are some perks available if you do. In the past, they offered 4 regular season tickets with the hotel / SoxFest package. They have also had (for extra $, I think) an after-SoxFest cocktail party / reception where you get to meet 'n greet players & mgmt.

You can buy SoxFest tickets from TicketMaster, subject to their usual rip-off fees

:gulp:
SMO

TornLabrum
10-25-2003, 10:07 AM
A word of warning: the package rates currently (10/25, 10:00 a.m.) posted on the Sox web site are incorrect and are going to be changed.

The rates are $138 for one night and $256 for two nights.

RedPinStripes
10-25-2003, 11:10 AM
A word of warning: the package rates currently (10/25, 10:00 a.m.) posted on the Sox web site are incorrect and are going to be changed.

The rates are $138 for one night and $256 for two nights.

Last year was such a blur for me , i dont even remeber if that's a good deal or not. ****, what did i pay last year? :?:

TornLabrum
10-25-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Last year was such a blur for me , i dont even remeber if that's a good deal or not. ****, what did i pay last year? :?:

I don't know what kind of deal it is since I've only stayed at the Hyatt for SoxFest. I think the prices are a little higher than last year.

RedPinStripes
10-25-2003, 12:19 PM
I don't know what kind of deal it is since I've only stayed at the Hyatt for SoxFest. I think the prices are a little higher than last year.

I hope i see Rowand in teh hall again so i can tell him "**** you" this time. He blew us off in the halls a few times that weekend. Ungreatful little ******* cant even stop to say hello to those pay his salary. Oh, and at one time in my days of idiocy, i was in the rowand fan club till i saw him play enough to know he really sucks.

Iwritecode
10-25-2003, 06:36 PM

Actually, I think the prices are about the same as last year. Divide the total by 4 (which is the # of tickets and passes they give you) and it's still under $70 per person. Not bad considering the Soxfest passes themselves are $30 a piece and the rooms are usually $100+ a night...

When do you ever get another chance to stay in a hotel in downtown Chicago for that cheap???

Iwritecode
10-25-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Do they have a metal detector at the Hilton?

Actually, no they don't...

If I see a little red dot show up somewhere on KW or JR, I'm running...

cwsox
10-25-2003, 09:31 PM

I will see you at SoxFest then!

wouldn't miss it --

cwsox
10-25-2003, 09:33 PM

If I recall, about the same RPS - I can;t say exactly but it was about that amount

cwsox
10-25-2003, 09:34 PM
I hope i see Rowand in teh hall again so i can tell him "**** you" this time. He blew us off in the halls a few times that weekend. Ungreatful little ******* cant even stop to say hello to those pay his salary. Oh, and at one time in my days of idiocy, i was in the rowand fan club till i saw him play enough to know he really sucks.

LOL I remember that now - you were unhappy with AR to say the least!

gosox41
10-26-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by southsidegirl

Not me. I want to see what KW is going to do to screw up the team this offseason,

Bob

RedPinStripes
10-26-2003, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by cwsox
LOL I remember that now - you were unhappy with AR to say the least!

Yup "the least". lol

Unfortunatly , Saturday night Rowand's security guard though i gave him the finger when it was actually meant for Rowand . :D: