PDA

View Full Version : Upper Deck Renovation Article

BeerHandle
10-24-2003, 11:26 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/...ballpark24.html

Since they are not actually lowering the upper deck, nor adjusting the incline, is it all an optical illusion?

"It's perception,'' Sox spokesman Scott Reifert said Thursday as the team showed reporters the beginning of the project that will remove the upper eight rows of the highest seats. After the top 20 feet of the stadium's bowl are lopped off -- 215 tons of steel and 3,500 tons of concrete -- a new canopy will be put on that will more closely resemble the roof on old Comiskey Park.

The end result will be a more intimate baseball experience, said
Reifert.

"We're not physically moving seats. The slope's not changing. But I think from what our architects have shown us, it'll be a completely different feel,'' said Reifert.

The concourse on the second level also will be more enclosed and
amenities added, said Dan G. Polvere, a director with the Illinois
Sports Facilities Authority.

"A lot of these newer parks, they get to the upper deck and they decide, let's cheapen out up there. We're doing the opposite; we're going to make the upper deck very nice,'' said Polvere.

Details will be announced next month, officials said.

The project, phase four in a 5-phase renovation that began in 2000, will be covered by revenue from a 23-year, $68 million deal signed last year with U.S. Cellular that changed the stadium's name from the original Comiskey Park. The previous three phases were paid for out of Sox contributions and hotel tax revenue, Polvere said.

The changes for the fifth and last phase of the re-do, which will be
finished by Opening Day 2005,

TDog
10-24-2003, 11:46 AM
One of my favorite experiences at the new ballpark was a Saturday night game where I arrived at game time and had to sit in the last row of the upper deck, roughly behind third base. I cut my hand on the roof when I thrust my fist in the air as the A's pitcher balked in the tying run in the ninth, but I felt better by the time Thomas drove in Valentin from first with a double in the 10th. The next season, I was sitting in the lower deck for a game and the fan behind me nudged his friend, pointed in the area of my seats for that thrilling win against the A's and asked, "Aren't you glad we're not sitting there?"

What purpose does it serve to take those seats out? Basically, people in the lower deck won't have to be offended by them. People who don't pay to get in the ballpark won't complain about them. And when the Sox draw 31,000 for a game, there won't be as many empty seats to talk about.

cheeses_h_rice
10-24-2003, 11:54 AM
I think one of the biggest visual impacts removing these upper rows will make is that, instead of piling everyone up behind home plate on those nights when they draw in the low 20,000s to low 30,000s, they'll have to spread people out more down the 1B and 3B lines. It will take away a bit of the Giangreco Effect, if you will.

:giangreco

I'm going to buy a row of those seats and put 'em in my basement, as a fond reminder of what once was.....*sniff*.

voodoochile
10-24-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
I think one of the biggest visual impacts removing these upper rows will make is that, instead of piling everyone up behind home plate on those nights when they draw in the low 20,000s to low 30,000s, they'll have to spread people out more down the 1B and 3B lines. It will take away a bit of the Giangreco Effect, if you will.

:giangreco

I'm going to buy a row of those seats and put 'em in my basement, as a fond reminder of what once was.....*sniff*.

Yes and if the estimates of them losing 6K seats are correct, then the UD will only hold 13K. On most nights there are about 5K people in the UD so it will seem fuller no matter what.

anewman35
10-24-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Yes and if the estimates of them losing 6K seats are correct, then the UD will only hold 13K. On most nights there are about 5K people in the UD so it will seem fuller no matter what.

And they seem to be implying that they might lower the cost of some of the remaining seats to counteract the loss of the cheap seats. If they do that, they'll draw even more...

BeerHandle
10-24-2003, 12:55 PM
I just had lunch with "Twinkie the Kid" poster man holder and he said that the last major renovation will be a double deck outfield in right. Who knows, but I can't wait till the full plan is released in November. My guess is that it will be released before season ticket renewal letters are sent out.

anotherDCsoxfan
10-24-2003, 05:41 PM
http://www.hksinc.com/2002/portfolio.htm

Don't know if anyone else has posted this, but it's the architect's site and has some renderings of the renovations. Nothing specific of the upper deck seats, but #3 seems to show the arches.

batmanZoSo
10-24-2003, 08:40 PM
AnotherDCSoxFan,

That's the second cell rendering I've seen with trees on the concourse. Are they really gonna do that? It looks good in a drawing, but in April and most of May there won't be any leaves on those trees and that won't look too good. Plus, some types of trees go bald by playoff time. This is not a "tree park." I hope they don't do that.

I like the upper deck rendering. It looks like it'll be closed in and that'll give a more secure feeling up there.

bestkosher
10-24-2003, 08:56 PM
What rendering? I still do not get why they won't let fans move up to the upper deck from the lower just to see how it is. It would help to break the misconceptions about it.

Daver
10-24-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by bestkosher
What rendering? I still do not get why they won't let fans move up to the upper deck from the lower just to see how it is. It would help to break the misconceptions about it.

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

batmanZoSo
10-24-2003, 09:52 PM
voodoochile,

Hopefully, more people will sit up there anyway, so the percentage of filled seats will rise more than just proportional to the number removed.

Before--19,600 cap.--5,000 filled
Now--13,600 cap.--9000 filled?

It's not gonna be sold out. Only 5 parks sell 90% of their UD seats every night anyway. But it'll look a lot more filled and that might even affect the players.

Shortening the upper deck will allow the new roof to cover more rows up there, but the fact that the place will look so much smaller and more like a baseball stadium (from the lower level and from the outside) will probably make more people want to go, period...not just go sit in the upper deck.

With the arched windows and steel lattice and such it's gonna look pretty sharp and not so ominous. It'll be something to look at between innings when you're down below. Unless it's warm out and you're in the bleachers...then there's plenty to look at.

They're also putting in new light standards, hopefully they match the ones in the outfield that rise above everything and are square...not those old rectangular things that rested on the canope. In fact, the new ones will HAVE to rise up on steel lattice because the lights have to be the same height as the outfield ones. Plus, you don't want them affecting the outfielders vision.