PDA

View Full Version : Renovation - Great Photos....

daveeym
10-24-2003, 10:53 AM
on the sox website. http://www.whitesox.com

dllrbll7
10-24-2003, 10:57 AM
It would be nice if they released an article stating exactly what they are doing but the pictures are good

anewman35
10-24-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by dllrbll7
It would be nice if they released an article stating exactly what they are doing but the pictures are good

They keep saying they will in November...although I suspect we won't fully know until we can see it with our own eyes on opening day.

CHISOXFAN13
10-24-2003, 11:43 AM
Murph and Fred has someone on this morning talking about the project.

It will be announced in mid-November as to what the project entails.

Randar68
10-24-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
Murph and Fred has someone on this morning talking about the project.

It will be announced in mid-November as to what the project entails.

It was a head guy from ISFA. 8 rows of the UD, as has been reported. Approximately 6,600 seats. Would not say anything about any other renovations planned.

Based on those photos, I really wonder what they are going to end up doing. Why would they tarp over the upper level of suites and not some of the other areas they left unprotected!?

He said, without a doubt, this will be the single-largest phase of the renovations.

Randar68
10-24-2003, 11:55 AM
One more comment:

I don't know how it is going to end up, but I will be extremely pissed if they end up putting poles/supports beams in the field of view up there. Instead of doing that, and instead of actually removing the steel/concrete of the last 8 rows, they could use that area as an anchor for support cables/beams and have a kind of suspension-roof. Obviously, there are different logistics to that, but I hope they don't create obstructed views...

anewman35
10-24-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
One more comment:

I don't know how it is going to end up, but I will be extremely pissed if they end up putting poles/supports beams in the field of view up there. Instead of doing that, and instead of actually removing the steel/concrete of the last 8 rows, they could use that area as an anchor for support cables/beams and have a kind of suspension-roof. Obviously, there are different logistics to that, but I hope they don't create obstructed views...

I have a bad feeling about it - you'd think if they were doing it without creating obstructed views, they'd say so. Hmm.

Scotty347
10-24-2003, 12:05 PM

Based on those photos, I really wonder what they are going to end up doing. Why would they tarp over the upper level of suites and not some of the other areas they left unprotected!?

I believe the tarp is to protect the fancy LED board for getting messed up during the renovation.

Randar68
10-24-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Scotty347
I believe the tarp is to protect the fancy LED board for getting messed up during the renovation.

Don't know. The onoe in the LF corner is not covered and the one end (closest to home) of the 3rd base side is not completely covered as well.

anewman35
10-24-2003, 12:13 PM
Don't know. The onoe in the LF corner is not covered and the one end (closest to home) of the 3rd base side is not completely covered as well.

The boards in the LF corner aren't LED boards, just normal scoreboards, so they probably aren't as worried. You're right, though, the very end of the LED board down the third base line isn't covered, maybe that's just an accident? If they were doing major renovations to the top skybox level, you'd think the entire level would be covered, and it's not...

Lip Man 1
10-24-2003, 12:14 PM
This blurb was in The Daily Southtown on Friday FYI:

And the stadium will be fashioned with a new type of roof canopy that will look similar to that at the original Comiskey Park.

Lip

Scotty347
10-24-2003, 12:16 PM

The haven't torn out any seats in LF yet, so I would imagine why there is no tarp.

As for the 3rd base side, I think they bought a tarp that was about 5 feet too short!

Either that or they are tearing out the upper skyboxes for Hangar's upper deck reconstruction plan.

Hangar18
10-24-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Scotty347
The haven't torn out any seats in LF yet, so I would imagine why there is no tarp.

As for the 3rd base side, I think they bought a tarp that was about 5 feet too short!

Either that or they are tearing out the upper skyboxes for Hangar's upper deck reconstruction plan.

Thank Goodness. With this evidence, along with someone
saying that Rich King on WGN reported theyre changing the Pitch
of the UD also (though they didnt elaborate) this Might Actually
Happen !!! im excited

anewman35
10-24-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Thank Goodness. With this evidence, along with someone
saying that Rich King on WGN reported theyre changing the Pitch
of the UD also (though they didnt elaborate) this Might Actually
Happen !!! im excited

Dude, I hope you're joking. Rich King was wrong. Read the sun-times article. IT'S NOT HAPPENING.

Hangar18
10-24-2003, 12:25 PM
Those Pics are Interesting. By The Way....when you first click on the Link to get to whitesox.com, I notice they have my VideoLink
up also, "Hangar18 watches 400 HR by Thomas" available too
heh heh

Hangar18
10-24-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
Dude, I hope you're joking. Rich King was wrong. Read the sun-times article. IT'S NOT HAPPENING.

I meant to put that in teal, sorry

anewman35
10-24-2003, 12:27 PM
I meant to put that in teal, sorry

Heh, ok, nice to know you are finally accepting the truth :D:

Hangar18
10-24-2003, 12:29 PM
Heh, ok, nice to know you are finally accepting the truth :D:

My therapist said there would be days like this, but I think I'll be Ok heh heh. Too bad those photos werent From the Future,
under the "Workmen begin to Demolish US Cellular Field Today"

anewman35
10-24-2003, 12:36 PM
My therapist said there would be days like this, but I think I'll be Ok heh heh. Too bad those photos werent From the Future,
under the "Workmen begin to Demolish US Cellular Field Today"

Nah, it won't be called US Cellular Field in the future. The way these cell phone companies change their names, we'll be lucky if it lasts another 5 years...

joecrede
10-24-2003, 12:47 PM
I found this photo of Jacobs Field. (http://lonestar.texas.net/~csmart/images/Jacobs%20field.JPG) I think this is a pretty decent guess at how the upper deck at the Cell will look. The parks profiles are very similar, both have three levels between the lower deck and the upper deck.

bc2k
10-24-2003, 01:10 PM
One more comment:

That would look like trizzash and wouldn't enable the upper deck to obtain that "intimate" feel. Trizzash.

daveeym
10-24-2003, 01:19 PM
I second the trizzash and that wouldn't look like old comiskey either.

Scotty347
10-24-2003, 01:21 PM
Not to mention from that picture it looks like Jacobs Field has a roof similar to the one we are destroying right now.

joecrede
10-24-2003, 02:01 PM
That was just a guess on my part based on the parks similar profile.

One of the things you'll notice about the newer parks is that all their roofs extend out about the same amount. I'm no engineer, but there must be limitations on how far a roof can extend without using posts. Here's a photo of Edison Field. Its upper deck has no posts and a similar roof to the Jake. (http://www.photofile.com/Photos/Albums/2002_Angels_World_Series_Champs_Album/pages/Edison_Field_JPG.htm)

anewman35
10-24-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
That was just a guess on my part based on the parks similar profile.

One of the things you'll notice about the newer parks is that all their roofs extend out about the same amount. I'm no engineer, but there must be limitations on how far a roof can extend without using posts. Here's a photo of Edison Field. Its upper deck has no posts and a similar roof to the Jake. (http://www.photofile.com/Photos/Albums/2002_Angels_World_Series_Champs_Album/pages/Edison_Field_JPG.htm)

Did Edison Field redo the upper deck when they redid the outfield (I can't find out either way)? If not, it's not a new park, at least not in that area.

dickallen15
10-24-2003, 02:08 PM
The Cell is going to be more enclosed than either of these places. Think old Comiskey's roof.

Foulke You
10-24-2003, 02:54 PM
White Sox.com announces more about renovations. Apparently, the upper deck concourse is going to be completely enclosed when this is all said and done. Here are a couple quotes:

"We will enclose the upper-deck concourse with this project, and it will be a new-looking roof," said Dan G. Polvere, the director for development and facilities for the ISFA, who said that additional information about the look of the park will be forthcoming in November.

"The upper deck has been much maligned, even by those who don't sit there," Polvere added. "It's like being in a building where you don't like the ceiling. By lowering the upper deck, it will look a lot different from the outside and hopefully be more attractive for the fans inside."

-Scott Reifort

renovation article from whitesox.com (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20031024&content_id=592474&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cha)

MRKARNO
10-24-2003, 03:48 PM
Did Edison Field redo the upper deck when they redid the outfield (I can't find out either way)? If not, it's not a new park, at least not in that area.

I've been to Edison Field and I can tell you that it's a new park. It might have used the old structure, but nothing about it is old.

Hangar18
10-24-2003, 03:51 PM
Looking at that PIC of Edison Field, I for a Second,,,,,
thought it was Comiskey at first. Tells you How BLAND
our park really looks

IronFisk
10-24-2003, 04:07 PM
Looking at Edison and the Jake, the revised UD will be considerably shorter than those, but should be. Unlike the Jake, this UD is pushed farther from the field, and the entrance is located at the bottom. With the roof in place, I believe it will relate to a far more enjoyalbe experience. I also hope that no posts are used - that would be dumb. But hey, these ARE the Sox!

RedPinStripes
10-24-2003, 04:28 PM
One more comment:

No matter what they do, it's not going to please everyone. A lot of the new park have support beams in view, but their not anything like Comiskey Park was.

Your idea of cable/beams is a good idea though. With how far away that UD is from the field, i wouldnt be happy with obstructed views. Now if that UD was a lot closer to the field, i would deal with a few I-beams . There's really no way around it if you want to be close to the action.

joecrede
10-24-2003, 04:39 PM
Looking at that PIC of Edison Field, I for a Second,,,,,
thought it was Comiskey at first. Tells you How BLAND
our park really looks

I think Edison Field would be one of the best looking parks in baseball if they had a better outfield design from right over to left-center. Not a big fan of the Disneyland mountain set up in in left-center or the outfield seat set-up in right.

batmanZoSo
10-24-2003, 09:11 PM
God, what's so hard about getting facts right? The front page article lead says eight rows. It's ten rows. I counted with mine own peepers. And if you look at the picture, the blue to gray difference, it looks like they took off half the rows. Ten makes a big, big difference. It's gonna be fantastic, trust me fellers. They're doing everything right.

Anyone notice how much the cell resembles the Meadowlands without the canope up there? Man it's just a football stadium.

MRKARNO
10-24-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Anyone notice how much the cell resembles the Meadowlands without the canope up there? Man it's just a football stadium.

It surely does look like a football stadium

batmanZoSo
10-24-2003, 09:37 PM
Randar,

There will be no poles in the upper deck I assure you. They're not that stupid. The only place that might have poles is the hypothetical home run porch, similar to Texas. But I don't think they're gonna even go with that. I read an article with insight from a top architect and he blasted the idea of putting an Arlington-style porch in the Cell. It just does not fit.

The new roof up there is gonna be just like the ones in Baltimore and others.

GoSox2K3
10-24-2003, 10:46 PM
God, what's so hard about getting facts right? The front page article lead says eight rows. It's ten rows. I counted with mine own peepers. And if you look at the picture, the blue to gray difference, it looks like they took off half the rows. Ten makes a big, big difference. It's gonna be fantastic, trust me fellers. They're doing everything right.

According to whitesox.com, they are taking out 10 rows of seats to do the work, but they will be putting 2 rows of seats back after the work is completed. So, in the end, 8 rows will be removed.

I can't wait to see the finished product w/ the new roof.

batmanZoSo
10-24-2003, 11:39 PM
GoSox2k3,

Did you notice how some of the seats behind home in the first few rows of the upper deck are missing? It looks like they're doing something there, too.

MisterB
10-25-2003, 01:29 AM
They're not that stupid.

Famous last words when it comes to the Sox organization...

SoxxoS
10-25-2003, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by MisterB
Famous last words when it comes to the Sox organization...

No doubt. It goes from "The Sox aren't that stupid" to "The Sox aren't that stupid, are they?"

joejacksonsshoes
10-25-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by joecrede
I found this photo of Jacobs Field. (http://lonestar.texas.net/~csmart/images/Jacobs%20field.JPG) I think this is a pretty decent guess at how the upper deck at the Cell will look. The parks profiles are very similar, both have three levels between the lower deck and the upper deck.

I'm no architect, but from the things I've seen and heard about this renovation some things seem to be falling into place.

If you look at the picture of Jacob's Field and project it into what they are doing at U.S. Cellular, I think we can surmise two things:

1. Since the U.D. will not be as deep as Jacob's, the new roof overhang will be able to extend furthur over the stands and allow for that "more intimate feel". Without requiring support posts.

2. I think it is easier to imagine that cutout area between the top level of seats and bottom of the roofline, now. Wouldn't that be the perfect placement for the retro look of the original Comiskey Park arches that have been spoken of?

To be a White Sox fan in this town.

GoSox2K3
10-25-2003, 10:01 AM
GoSox2k3,

Did you notice how some of the seats behind home in the first few rows of the upper deck are missing? It looks like they're doing something there, too.

Yes, I noticed that. I think one of the articles yesterday hinted that the seat removal/new roof was the biggest project for this offseason but that they also have other renovations going on. If they are planning to make a more formal announcement in November, maybe we'll get the details then.

TornLabrum
10-25-2003, 10:04 AM
The article on the Sox web site talks about the removal of whatever number of tons of concrete and steel during the demolition phase. I would assume this means some structural changes will be made to the upper deck in addition to the changes to the superstructure.

Based on this, I think what we may be looking at is more than the cosmetic change a new roof being tacked onto the old upper deck. So it is quite possible that no posts will be necessary to cover most of the existing seats with the new roof.

Brian26
10-25-2003, 05:55 PM
Guys,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but every indication has been that the White Sox are going with a new roof similar in nature to Old Comiskey. So, if it's a flat roof and extended towards the field to enclose the entire upper deck (not just the back half of it), the roof will require posts of some type. A cantilever roof from the back of the upper deck to the front at a relatively flat slope is not possible.

soxnut
10-25-2003, 05:59 PM
That doesn't bother me

Brian26
10-25-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
That doesn't bother me

Doesn't bother me either. In fact, I think it adds some character to the park.

OhWeeOh
10-25-2003, 11:49 PM
I don't plan on sitting in the upper deck EVER!