PDA

View Full Version : Gaston Plays Race Card

duke of dorwood
10-24-2003, 09:12 AM
Interview with reporter replayed on Murph show, said criticism of his moves was racist. Does not take criticism well he says.

Ozzie starting to look much better to me.

This may explain why Gaston has had no job since Toronto.

Jjav829
10-24-2003, 09:25 AM
Yeah Boers and Bernstein discussed this yesterday. They called one of the guys who was accused of being a racist by Gaston and he was very complimentary of Gaston.

BTW, here is an article on it. Gaston apologizes (http://www.jhu.edu/~newslett/04-18-97/Sports/Gaston_apologizes_for_allegations.html)

idseer
10-24-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Yeah Boers and Bernstein discussed this yesterday. They called one of the guys who was accused of being a racist by Gaston and he was very complimentary of Gaston.

BTW, here is an article on it. Gaston apologizes (http://www.jhu.edu/~newslett/04-18-97/Sports/Gaston_apologizes_for_allegations.html)

"Whatever has been said, whatever has been written, if it has offended someone and it's unjustly offended them, I apologize. If it hasn't, then I don't apologize."

wow! i guess this pretty much covers his butt, huh? i'll have to remember this apology.

greenpeach
10-24-2003, 11:20 AM
When Cito got let go in Toronto he said it was racially motivated. Whether you have suspicions or not, you can't go public with those types of accusations unless you have proof. The race card is effective, but only if used wisely.

It's no surprise he hasn't gotten another job.

Hangar18
10-24-2003, 11:24 AM
If Race played a role in his dismissal, he has every right to be
angry. Thats too bad. But otherwise, I hope he gets the
job for the right reasons........That being Said. im Officially
an OZZIE BACKER NOW.

ode to veeck
10-24-2003, 11:39 AM
I am for Cito as mgr and Ozzie as coach as I'm totally sick of the on the job training mode for hiring this critical position for the Sox--Cito's got a proven track record as a winner, and his apology reads much better than Dusty's ...

Paulwny
10-24-2003, 11:52 AM
I'll throw one in, the rumor on Gaston's firing.
The Toronto brass felt Gaston lost control of the clubhouse to a clique led by George Bell, (?) Fernandez and Damaso Garcia.
These players were traded, however they felt he lost the repect of the remaining players.

steff
10-24-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
If Race played a role in his dismissal, he has every right to be
angry. Thats too bad. But otherwise, I hope he gets the
job for the right reasons........That being Said. im Officially
an OZZIE BACKER NOW.

You want a guy with NO managerial experience..??? Why does this not surprise me.

RichH55
10-24-2003, 01:51 PM
I'm in the Willie Randolph/Larry Dierker camp myself

adsit
10-24-2003, 02:02 PM
How quickly things change...

Based on this, my support of Cito Gaston has plummeted. I've always wanted Mike Hargrove to get the job, but Cito was my backup choice.

Not anymore. Talk about cancer...

That "apology" alone clinches it for me. What a lame-ass waffle (though idseer is right, that's a good one to tuck into your wallet, next to the bail bond card).

That said, I can't support Guillen either. I like him, and I like his heart. But let him learn the ropes somewhere else. The '04 Sox don't need a manager with training wheels.