PDA

View Full Version : The Effectiveness of the Long Ball

Dadawg_77
10-23-2003, 06:30 PM
Did you know that out of the 23 playoff games where one team has hit more home runs then the other team the team with more homerun won 18 times.

The Marlins the champion of small has played 15 playoff games, out homered thier opponent five times, winning each game (5-0), hit the same amount three times winning twice (2-1), and been out homered seven times, winning twice (2-5).

Maybe hitting home runs helps you win games more then some here like to say.

RichH55
10-23-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Did you know that out of the 23 playoff games where one team has hit more home runs then the other team the team with more homerun won 18 times.

The Marlins the champion of small has played 15 playoff games, out homered thier opponent five times, winning each game (5-0), hit the same amount three times winning twice (2-1), and been out homered seven times, winning twice (2-5).

Hitting them when you need them helps....Winning a game 15-2 ...maybe not so much then

duke of dorwood
10-23-2003, 06:44 PM
:KW

Grinders hit less homers

RichH55
10-23-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
:KW

Grinders hit less homers

Great bring on Darin Erstad......ugh

poorme
10-23-2003, 07:21 PM
The long ball is great. But the Marlins are 4-6 when they don't hit more homers than the opposition. That tells me that they are well-rounded and can score in a variety of ways.

bc2k
10-23-2003, 10:40 PM

Perhaps the fact that the pitcher who is giving up multiple home runs didn't have his better stuff that game, making him more likely to lose in any fashion.

batmanZoSo
10-23-2003, 11:14 PM
You have to do everything. Look who's still remaining. Both of these teams can play small ball, or at least situational hitting and do it well.

Dadawg_77
10-24-2003, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by poorme
The long ball is great. But the Marlins are 4-6 when they don't hit more homers than the opposition. That tells me that they are well-rounded and can score in a variety of ways.

so a sub .500 record is good?

poorme
10-24-2003, 08:39 AM
so a sub .500 record is good?

I don't know how it compares to the rest of the league.

Dadawg_77
10-24-2003, 09:10 AM
I don't know how it compares to the rest of the league.

How it compares might be valid if I was looking at comparing Teams. My point is the more you can hit the long ball the better off you are. As for the Marlins, other then the top two the rest of that team are double and hr hitters or can't hit at all. I Rod, Cabera, Lowe, Lee, Conine aren't guys going up there looking to bunt. They are going to smash the ball.

poorme
10-24-2003, 09:21 AM
My point is the more you can hit the long ball the better off you are.

I don't think anyone would argue with you. The lower your ERA, the more stolen bases, the fewer errors, and the higher your OBP is, the better off you are as well.

The Sox hit 42% more homers than the Twins, yet scored fewer runs. That tells me there's more to scoring runs than just hitting homers.

bc2k
10-24-2003, 09:25 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/writers/john_donovan/10/24/insider.game5/index.html

Donovan lists 5 reasons why the Marlins are up 3-2 in the Series.

" Two-out hits: The Marlins have scored 15 runs in the five games. Only 15 runs, that is. But the timing on those runs has been impeccable.

Thirteen of them have come in their three wins. And of those 13 runs, seven have scored on two-out hits.

Nine of the team's World Series runs have come with two outs. All nine, in fact, have come in the past four games, when they've scored 12 runs.

They call that clutch."

" Jeff Conine: The Yankees just can't get this guy out. He's hitting .412, he's drawn three walks, he's struck out only twice in 20 plate appearances. And he's scored three runs, more than anyone on the Marlins.

"I'm seeing the ball well," he said after the Game 4 win.

Put all these pieces together and the picture gets a little clearer. The Marlins are playing well. The Yankees aren't, particularly.

And so we have the Marlins a game ahead in the World Series with two chances to win one more this weekend.

Go figure."

Jeff Conine is a gamer. He is a grinder. I always knew he was a tough out when he was with the Orioles, but I've become a fan of his from watching his play with the Marlins.

I forget which game it was, but I think it was vs. the Cubs in the NLCS. Jeff was backed off the plate with a high and tight fastball. He comes back with his stone expression and didn't give an inch or a flinch the pitcher desired. Conine won that at bat getting a hit the opposite way. BALLS. If we don't resign Everett, we should sign Conine.

Paulwny
10-24-2003, 09:33 AM
In the ws the yanks are hitting .275 with 6 hr's the fish .237 with 2 hr's. The yanks have left 19 runners on base in the last 2 games. It's not how many hr's you hit but, when you hit them.

Dadawg_77
10-24-2003, 09:33 AM
I don't think anyone would argue with you. The lower your ERA, the more stolen bases, the fewer errors, and the higher your OBP is, the better off you are as well.

The Sox hit 42% more homers than the Twins, yet scored fewer runs. That tells me there's more to scoring runs than just hitting homers.

I am not arguing OBP isn't more vital then the amount of home runs. Just if you read the board people always complain that the Sox rely on the three run home run. What they missed was the Sox can't rely on it because how many times did they have two runners on base at the same time. The HR is a vital tool in baseball, more productive then any bunt, any SB or any error not committed. Now I am not advocating swinging for the fences every time, a hitter needs to use what a pitcher gives him. But that Sox offence just needs a few guys with a better ability to get on base and they will be fine.

bc2k
10-24-2003, 09:59 AM
But that Sox offence just needs a few guys with a better ability to get on base and they will be fine.

The Sox don't have a problem getting on base; they have a problem scoring those runners. So instead of getting a few guys better at getting on base, we should get better power hitters to drive them in. Thomas, Ordonez, and Konerko suck at this. Dump them all. Give me Everett, Manny, and Conine instead.

jabrch
10-24-2003, 10:00 AM
HRs are important. Nobody will deny that. However, Texas lead the league with 239 HRs. Where did it get them? Sox were 4th with 220. Followed by the Rockies, Brewers, Cardinals, Astros, BlueJays and Reds. Where did it get them? 3 of the top 10 HR hitting teams made the playoffs (NYY, ATL and BOS). The other 5 playoff teams were in the middle of the pack.

No single stat can predict wins enough that it should be counted on when building a team. You need to look at the entire team in the context of the game. You need pitching, defense, speed, power and average. You need guys on base. You need guys to move them and guys to drive them home.

bc2k
10-24-2003, 10:05 AM
Wasn't it Wally Backman's team that was around 9th in home runs but 3rd in the league in runs scored? Yeah, the Sox have no use for a guy like that.

jabrch
10-24-2003, 10:14 AM
As we all know, you can make statistics say whatever you want them to. How about instead of looking at HRs as an indicator of wins, lets look at batting average. 4 of the top 7 teams in MLB in batting average made the playoffs. So maybe it is important to get hits to win? How about arguing pitching wins championships? 6 of the top 12 teams in ERA made the playoffs. Men allowed on base? All of the playoff teams were in the top half of the WHIP list.

Bottom line...9 Graffaninos won't win. 9 Raffy Palmeiros wont win. but a team can win with both Graffanino and Raffy.

maurice
10-24-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
9 Raffy Palmeiros wont win.

Only because Raffy can't pitch and play the eight other defensive positions. An average pitching staff supported by average defense and nine guys who post Palmiero numbers would win a TON of games.