PDA

View Full Version : TSN Sox Notes

Lip Man 1
10-23-2003, 04:46 PM
A few Sox items courtesy of Ken Rosenthal in The Sporting News this week that may be of interest...

"One executive thinks 3rd base coach Ozzie Guillen could be an even better manager then the Royals Tony Pena. Guillen, the executive says, not only is street-smart, but that he would also run a game shrewdly and energize a team with his take charge, old school personality. The White Sox will interview Guillen, their former shortstop after the World Series is over."

"The Red Sox probably won't resign Todd Walker even thought he hit .349 in the post season with 5 home runs in 43 at bats. The team is expected to invest heavily in pitching and figures to keep Walker only if he's willing to sign a one year deal at a club friendly price. Walker's left handed bat could appeal to the White Sox if they fail to re sign Roberto Alomar."

Finally Rosenthal has a scathing column this week blasting the owners for claiming they don't have any money. It's titled "Cries Of Poverty Ring Hollow." It's on page 62 and also asks questions like "what are the Pirates, Reds and Royals doing with their revenue sharing money?" daver might enjoy it.

Lip

hold2dibber
10-23-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
A few Sox items courtesy of Ken Rosenthal in The Sporting News this week that may be of interest...

"One executive thinks 3rd base coach Ozzie Guillen could be an even better manager then the Royals Tony Pena. Guillen, the executive says, not only is street-smart, but that he would also run a game shrewdly and energize a team with his take charge, old school personality. The White Sox will interview Guillen, their former shortstop after the World Series is over."

"The Red Sox probably won't resign Todd Walker even thought he hit .349 in the post season with 5 home runs in 43 at bats. The team is expected to invest heavily in pitching and figures to keep Walker only if he's willing to sign a one year deal at a club friendly price. Walker's left handed bat could appeal to the White Sox if they fail to re sign Roberto Alomar."

Finally Rosenthal has a scathing column this week blasting the owners for claiming they don't have any money. It's titled "Cries Of Poverty Ring Hollow." It's on page 62 and also asks questions like "what are the Pirates, Reds and Royals doing with their revenue sharing money?" daver might enjoy it.

Lip

I've got to admit, at the beginning of the week, the idea of Ozzie managing the Sox horrified me. But after reading his comments in the Sun-Times and Trib today, I was very impressed. The Rosenthal blurb is persuasive as well. I'm slowly warming to the idea ... which almost certainly means they'll hire Gaston.

StepsInSC
10-23-2003, 05:00 PM
I've always been on the "anyone is better than JM" bandwagon but now I'm officially on the "that someone might as well be Ozzie" bandwagon.

Hangar18
10-23-2003, 05:04 PM
I REALLY REALLY REALLY like what Ozzie had to say
about how his office would be empty, because he'll always
will be talking to the players, on the bus, in the hotel, on the
plane, on the field, on the bench. Hes fiery, I like that...
if he runs the team old school style with some smarts....
He could be the guy weve been looking for :)

Jjav829
10-23-2003, 05:16 PM
Count me in as one of those who has warmed up to the idea of Ozzie as our manager. I laughed when I first heard his name mentioned and thought it was a joke, but I'm coming around to the idea of him. It's not so much that I like him so much, as it is that I'm not thrilled with the other possibilities. Gaston is basically Manuel with a better resume and I don't think the racist crap from him. Thats the last thing we need. The only other candidate I like is Willie Randolph.

As for Walker, I would take him to replace Alomar but I'd rather have him batting second than leading off. Then again, same for Alomar.

SoxxoS
10-23-2003, 05:33 PM
Walker or Alomar...interesting question.

I'll give the nod to Walker, just because I think Walker's stick more than makes up for the defense of Robbie. Robbie adds some intagibles, but I still would like Walker. Robbie is almost an automatic out from the right side as well.

The current Robbie, Borchard and Valentin are the worst switch hitters in the majors. I wish they would all just bat left handed.

OEO Magglio
10-23-2003, 05:45 PM
I've jumped on the "hire ozzie" bandwagon also I just think, he seems like he'd bring a lot of fire to this team, but like hold2dibber said, now they'll definitely hire Cito.

soxtalker
10-23-2003, 05:59 PM
I've also been warming to the idea of Ozzie. However, how do you think these articles in the press are playing with KW (and JR)? The Sox, in general, and KW, in particular, do not like information to be flowing to the press from anywhere.

RichH55
10-23-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Walker or Alomar...interesting question.

I'll give the nod to Walker, just because I think Walker's stick more than makes up for the defense of Robbie. Robbie adds some intagibles, but I still would like Walker. Robbie is almost an automatic out from the right side as well.

The current Robbie, Borchard and Valentin are the worst switch hitters in the majors. I wish they would all just bat left handed.

I was two days early on the Todd Walker reference...nice

All things being equal (read: Money) I take Walker over Alomar

LuvSox
10-23-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
I was two days early on the Todd Walker reference...nice

All things being equal (read: Money) I take Walker over Alomar

Can Walker play short?

RichH55
10-23-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
Can Walker play short?

Short Answer: NO

Long Answer : No, with a but

Hangar18
10-24-2003, 07:10 AM
Todd Walker plays hard man.......DEFINITELY go after him
if were not getting KAZ

34 Inch Stick
10-24-2003, 08:29 AM
To paraphrase C. Montgomery Burns, I know what I hate and I hate Ozzie less then the other candidates.

None of the candidates has jumped out at me as the obvious fit or a guy we must have. I'll back whoever they take but I am concerned about everyone short of Willie Randolph.

bc2k
10-24-2003, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

I've got to admit, at the beginning of the week, the idea of Ozzie managing the Sox horrified me. But after reading his comments in the Sun-Times and Trib today, I was very impressed. The Rosenthal blurb is persuasive as well. I'm slowly warming to the idea

Ditto.

Originally posted by Jjav829
As for Walker, I would take him to replace Alomar but I'd rather have him batting second than leading off. Then again, same for Alomar.

I had a similar thought. I know nothing of Walker, did he leadoff for Boston? If he didn't, I'd guess the Sox will probably go with Alomar since he leadoff for us in '03

Dadawg_77
10-24-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by bc2k

I had a similar thought. I know nothing of Walker, did he leadoff for Boston? If he didn't, I'd guess the Sox will probably go with Alomar since he leadoff for us in '03

Damen was the leadoff man in Boston.

bc2k
10-24-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Damen was the leadoff man in Boston.

How did I not know that? :?:

RichH55
10-24-2003, 12:54 PM
How did I not know that? :?:

a) Drugs?

B) Not enough East Coast Media Bias for that info to get through?

C) Frank Thomas?

Whats the answer?

bc2k
10-24-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
a) Drugs?

B) Not enough East Coast Media Bias for that info to get through?

C) Frank Thomas?

Whats the answer?

hahah...nice. I'm leaning to answer D) If the World Series that was best for the game of baseball had happened, I would have known Damon was the leadoff hitter.

Or maybe E) I must have watched the NLCS game that Damon missed when he faked an injury.

Or F) I'm a bonehead who can't afford a t.v. to watch Red Sox games.

The_Floridian
10-24-2003, 01:50 PM

Walker is a quality second sacker. In Cincinnati last year, he was, in my opinon, the Reds' best player, always managing to come through when they needed him and playing steady all year.

In Boston, I hear he played "wicked hahd", which I believe is good.

Walker has decent speed, but he's not a leadoff man by any stretch of the imagination. If the Sox don't re-sign Alomar, Walker is the the best guy to replace him. But they'll have to find another leadoff man, cause Walker ain't the guy.

Think we could snag Shannon Stewart? Or am I delusional?