PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie Stories

Lip Man 1
10-23-2003, 01:05 PM
Both the Tribune and Sun Times have stories today on Ozzie's chances to be the new manager (including one from Sully--I wonder if he's going back to the Sox?)

The stories say that Ozzie will interview early next week. Oz makes some strong comments about how he's going to run the clubhouse including the statement that "if you don't run the bases you're done with me, if you don't show up on time you're done with me..."

The stories say Robbie Alomar told Oz the Sox clubhouse had problems last year (which is the strongest confirmation yet of the perception that the Sox clubhouse was in disarray as posted many times by Pale Hose George). The stories say that if Guillen is the new manager, Alomar has told friends "he's a slam dunk" to resign, PLUS the story says that some Sox players are actively campaigning for Ozzie to get the job.

One other story though says that Gaston spent two days in Chicago last week interviewing and is now the front runner. That Ozzie being with the Marlins who are still playing, is going to cost him the job.

Basically it looks like it's going to come down to either Gaston or Guillen...the fate of the franchise may rest on the organization making the correct decision.

Lip

A.T. Money
10-23-2003, 01:26 PM
I hope it's Ozzie. Gaston is just another dead guy in the dugout.

MetalliSox
10-23-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by A.T. Money
I hope it's Ozzie. Gaston is just another dead guy in the dugout.

At first I was on the edge with Ozzie, but he reminds me of a Tony Pena type, who BTW, had zero experience managing before going to KC.

Unless we get Hargrove, Guillen would be the only one that would excite me.

Hangar18
10-23-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

....The stories say that if Guillen is the new manager, Alomar has told friends "he's a slam dunk" to resign, PLUS the story says that some Sox players are actively campaigning for Ozzie to get the job.

Lip

Resign as in Alomar will Quit the team, or
Re-Sign as in Alomar likes Ozz and wants to be managed by him?

chosk8
10-23-2003, 02:16 PM
Lip- (or anyone else for that matter)

Do you have a preference between Gaston or Guillen? Or is there another name out there that you'd really like to see? My only problem with Guillen is that because some of the current Sox have played with him in the past, maybe they are hoping for a relaxed clubhouse or a clubhouse that is a free-for-all. Playing loose is one thing, but if things get too comfortable for players that's another.
I'm torn. I'm 33 and can easily relate to Guillen because of his past with the Sox, but I'm scared of things getting to laxed. But on the other side of the coin, I look at a guy like Tony Pena and think Guillen could be our version of him. Without question, this is a huge decision for this franchise.

LuvSox
10-23-2003, 02:20 PM
Only Thomas and Walker played with him, right? I don't think their relationship would get in the way. Everyone is older and wiser now. Besides, Ozzie was always a gamer, something the Sox sorely need.

doublem23
10-23-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18

Resign as in he'll be back, 100% guaranteed for next year.

Kilroy
10-23-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by chosk8
Lip- (or anyone else for that matter)

Do you have a preference between Gaston or Guillen? Or is there another name out there that you'd really like to see? My only problem with Guillen is that because some of the current Sox have played with him in the past, maybe they are hoping for a relaxed clubhouse or a clubhouse that is a free-for-all. Playing loose is one thing, but if things get too comfortable for players that's another.
I'm torn. I'm 33 and can easily relate to Guillen because of his past with the Sox, but I'm scared of things getting to laxed. But on the other side of the coin, I look at a guy like Tony Pena and think Guillen could be our version of him. Without question, this is a huge decision for this franchise.

Based on the quotes in today's paper, laxed is the last thing I think Ozzie's clubhouse will be.

"If you don't wanna run the bases or show up on time, you're done with me. If you don't have any respect for me, the uniform, or the game, I don't want you here." -- Ozzie Guillen

Of the two, I like Ozzie tons more, but I still have reservations about a rookie mgr in a veteran clubhouse. Maybe Joe Torre is just waiting for the chance to take the Sox job. What color is it for pipe-dream again?

LuvSox
10-23-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Of the two, I like Ozzie tons more, but I still have reservations about a rookie mgr in a veteran clubhouse. Maybe Joe Torre is just waiting for the chance to take the Sox job. What color is it for pipe-dream again?

Wouldn't that be something? **** Dusty Baker, we got Torre!

chosk8
10-23-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
Only Thomas and Walker played with him, right? I don't think their relationship would get in the way. Everyone is older and wiser now. Besides, Ozzie was always a gamer, something the Sox sorely need.

I'm sorry, for some reason after reading the article I thought that Robbie Alomar and Guillen played together at one point. "One of his closest friends in baseball is second baseman Roberto Alomar, who spent the second half of the 2003 season with the Sox." was the quote from the artilce, they are just good friends. Enough to make me nervous.

Originally posted by Kilroy
"If you don't wanna run the bases or show up on time, you're done with me. If you don't have any respect for me, the uniform, or the game, I don't want you here." -- Ozzie Guillen
Based on the quotes in today's paper, laxed is the last thing I think Ozzie's clubhouse will be.

I hope that is his attitude, but he may be just campaigning.

Iwritecode
10-23-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18

LOL I saw that and wondered the same thing.

I'm not usually a big part of the "spelling police" but stuck out a little more...

:D:

valposoxfan
10-23-2003, 02:52 PM
I'm telling you guys, Ozzie is the man for the job. I really don't understand why he wouldn't be the man. He is by far the type of attitude that this team needs. No doubt about it. He would be fun to play for but demand respect at the same time. This is something that needs to happen. I understand some your concerns about him having "friends" on the team and that may cause problems as far as commanding respect, but I don't see that as a problem. Ozzie is the type of guy that players love playing for. Please KW, do this.

mandmandm
10-23-2003, 02:53 PM
Wouldn't that be something? **** Dusty Baker, we got Torre!

During the rain delay the other night two guys on ESPN radio were talking about Steinbrenner over the summer. When the Yanks were in a slump Steinbrenner did his usual ranting and raving about the coaching staff. In a converstation with Steinbrenner and Torre, Joe said "You know, Graddy Little's contract is up at the end of the year, implying that he would consider jumping ship." That shut Steinbrenner up. It is amazing that as much as the Yankees beat up on their arch rivals they are very much concerned about them.

Paulwny
10-23-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by mandmandm
During the rain delay the other night two guys on ESPN radio were talking about Steinbrenner over the summer. When the Yanks were in a slump Steinbrenner did his usual ranting and raving about the coaching staff. In a converstation with Steinbrenner and Torre, Joe said "You know, Graddy Little's contract is up at the end of the year, implying that he would consider jumping ship." That shut Steinbrenner up. It is amazing that as much as the Yankees beat up on their arch rivals they are very much concerned about them.

I've heard on some of the sports radio and tv shows out of NYC that King George's biggest nightmare is to watch the Red Sox celebrating a deciding game victory for the pennant in his palace.

KingXerxes
10-23-2003, 03:50 PM
Somebody earlier compared Tony Pena with Ozzie Guillen. Bad comparison.

Tony Pena was an intense, hustling catcher - one of the best when he played. A big time gamer who commanded respect by the way he ran a game in back of the plate.

Ozzie Guillen was not that.

AsInWreck
10-23-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes

Tony Pena was an intense, hustling catcher - one of the best when he played. A big time gamer who commanded respect by the way he ran a game in back of the plate.

I think we're all aware Guillen wasn't a catcher, so your point must be that he wasn't intense, a hustler or respected. I think most people would disagree.

Though if that is the case, looking at recent Sox teams, we're in real trouble.

34 Inch Stick
10-23-2003, 04:35 PM
Ozzie was certainly not as focused or disciplined as Tony Pena as a player. As I have said before Ozzie was a undisciplined at the plate, clueless at running the bases and unorthodox at defense. I don't know if that translates to managing style in any way.

Has anybody mentioned the soon to be unemployed Grady Little. Sure he was outmanaged in the playoffs (just like the great Dusty). However his teams always seem to win.

poorme
10-23-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
As I have said before Ozzie was a undisciplined at the plate, clueless at running the bases and unorthodox at defense. I don't know if that translates to managing style in any way.

I sure hope you're not in the Cito bandwagon, because Guillen was a much better player than him.

valposoxfan
10-23-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Ozzie was certainly not as focused or disciplined as Tony Pena as a player. As I have said before Ozzie was a undisciplined at the plate, clueless at running the bases and unorthodox at defense. I don't know if that translates to managing style in any way.

Has anybody mentioned the soon to be unemployed Grady Little. Sure he was outmanaged in the playoffs (just like the great Dusty). However his teams always seem to win.

I'm going to pretend that this post didn't happen. After all that has happened you honestly think Grady Little would be a good fit??? Come on 34.

Daver
10-23-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by valposoxfan
I'm going to pretend that this post didn't happen. After all that has happened you honestly think Grady Little would be a good fit??? Come on 34.

It would be better than Ozzie Guillen.

Hell Leo Durochers corpse would be better than Ozzie Guillen.

valposoxfan
10-23-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Daver
It would be better than Ozzie Guillen.

Hell Leo Durochers corpse would be better than Ozzie Guillen.

Explain Daver.

JasonC23
10-23-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by valposoxfan
Explain Daver.

Who can explain Daver, really? He's like a force of nature, something to watch from a distance and be awed by, not something you explain away...

Wait, what was your question?

Viva Magglio
10-23-2003, 05:39 PM

Magglio was there too, right?

MarkEdward
10-23-2003, 05:42 PM
Funny little thing: type the name "Ozzie Guillen" in the player search box on the front page of baseball-reference.com. Check out the names that come up along with Ozzie's. Good stuff.

cwsox
10-23-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes

very, very true.

This is the same Ozzie who never took ball 4 when he could make an out - do we want a Sox team who all bat like that? - and who said in 94 after the labor action that he didn't need the fans.

I am not sold on Ozzie at all.

LuvSox
10-23-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Magglio was there too, right?

You're right, just '97 though.

LuvSox
10-23-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by cwsox
This is the same Ozzie who never took ball 4 when he could make an out - do we want a Sox team who all bat like that?

I'm sure the hitting coach has SOME responsibility.

Mammoo
10-23-2003, 05:51 PM
If it comes down to Guillen or Gaston...my vote's for Ozzie. I like a guy that shows some enthusiasm :smile:

cwsox
10-23-2003, 05:51 PM
I'm sure the hitting coach has SOME responsibility.

but the manager has more

that type of impatience is not what I want in a manager

adsit
10-23-2003, 05:53 PM
Among the knocks on him, for those who might not be aware, is that he micro-manages his players and coaches, plays creative games with his lineups just for the sake of "doing something," and makes bad bullpen decisions.

Didn't we just fire a manager like that? Why hire another one?