PDA

View Full Version : Torre, Clemens rumor

cheeses_h_rice
10-23-2003, 11:36 AM
Has anyone heard any rumor about Torre wanting to use Clemens to pitch the last inning of the World Series in NYC?

anewman35
10-23-2003, 12:07 PM
I haven't, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit. Somebody should tell him, though, that it's more important to win a game (and the series) than to let one of your players go out with a nice moment. It's been a good series, it'll be interesting to see what happens...

kittle42
10-23-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
I haven't, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit. Somebody should tell him, though, that it's more important to win a game (and the series) than to let one of your players go out with a nice moment. It's been a good series, it'll be interesting to see what happens...

:jerry
"See, even Joe Torre does things like that. And to think you all criticized me for playing Aaron Rowand in Anaheim because he's from there. Screw all of you!"

dickallen15
10-23-2003, 12:36 PM
Last time I heard something like this, McNamara wanted Buckner to be on the field for the victory celebration in 1986, instead of his customarily removing him for defensive purposes. It didn't quite work out.

MHOUSE
10-23-2003, 01:06 PM
I was glad to watch most of Clemens' final start in the bigs including his walk off the mound after the 7th was nice. I wouldn't be surprised if Torre brought him in as a reliever once in the next three games. But if you take Rocket to close one out over Rivera for feel-good purposes then you're a moron. Maybe if it's a 5-run lead or something.

Paulwny
10-23-2003, 02:17 PM
I haven't heard anything about the play-offs but, I did hear the following on MSG tv out of NYC this morning. They claim this is PURE SPECULATION.

The yanks would sign Clemens to a contract next year, reduced salary, as a stand by player. If the yanks felt they needed another starter during next year because of injuries, bad performance by a starter, etc , Clemens would then start his training in Aug. and join the yanks in Sept for the stretch drive and the play-offs.

Again, MSG tv says this is PURE SPECULATION.

Scotty347
10-23-2003, 02:18 PM
I could see it if there was a big lead, but Torre is no fool. It seems to me that he values winning over his guys personal feelings.

I have seen him pull Clemens and other pitchers this year and in the playoffs when they were getting beat up early. He almost yanked him last night as well.

doublem23
10-23-2003, 02:21 PM
It would be nice to see him go in to finish out the nint and then get lambasted by the Marlins, eventually costing the Yankees the series...

Yeah, that'd be nice.

Paulwny
10-23-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
It would be nice to see him go in to finish out the nint and then get lambasted by the Marlins, eventually costing the Yankees the series...

Yeah, that'd be nice.

I'm with you, a nice way to end his career. I'd love it !!!

voodoochile
10-23-2003, 02:30 PM
He should be available out of the bullpen if needed. I mean he will have had 2 days off and what the heck will he be saving his arm for anyway?

mandmandm
10-23-2003, 02:56 PM
Any update on John Leiber's recovery? I know that when the Yanks signed him they were hoping that he would be available at the end of the season and playoffs.

LASOXFAN
10-23-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
I'm with you, a nice way to end his career. I'd love it !!!

The only thing that would make it sweeter is if his punk ass was pegged for a 10 spot and the Marlins won the game.

Roger Clemens is an ass - a lying, headhunting jerk. He lied about wanting to stay in game 6 of the '86 series as well as his beaning of Piazza. He's a puss. Good riddance.

RichH55
10-23-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
The only thing that would make it sweeter is if his punk ass was pegged for a 10 spot and the Marlins won the game.

Roger Clemens is an ass - a lying, headhunting jerk. He lied about wanting to stay in game 6 of the '86 series as well as his beaning of Piazza. He's a puss. Good riddance.

Just to play Devil's Advocate here,.....what exactly is he supposed to say about Piazza?

Go out there and pull a Jesus Pena and say he was throwing at him? Risk suspension, inflame a situation that you were told to calm down? I just don't see the point of that....situations like that were the reason baseball cliches were invented

RichH55
10-23-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by mandmandm
Any update on John Leiber's recovery? I know that when the Yanks signed him they were hoping that he would be available at the end of the season and playoffs.

He should be ready to go for next year and be the best 5th starter in the game or a pretty good 4th starter for a cheap price