PDA

View Full Version : Heckling on TV

Unregistered
10-22-2003, 11:20 PM
Maybe this is PL material, these things get pretty blurry in the offseason (well, the Sox offseason, anyway...), but as I was watching game 4 of the World Series, during a quiet point in the 9th inning, you could clearly and loudly hear someone yell "Urbina You Suck!". (I know, insanely original. :D: )

Anyway, my question is, does anyone have a favorite heckling moment watching a game where they heard someone screaming (or even just talking) that got picked up by the mic?

Dan1972
10-22-2003, 11:32 PM
Without a doubt it has to have been a game against the A's from old Comiskey from either 89 or 90. It was one of the rain delay games that by 1130 at night there were only like 1,000 people in the park. Ron Hassey was up and someone shouted at the top of their lungs...
"Hassey has AIDS."

Hawk and Wimpy were kind of silent after that.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-22-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Dan1972
Without a doubt it has to have been a game against the A's from old Comiskey from either 89 or 90. It was one of the rain delay games that by 1130 at night there were only like 1,000 people in the park. Ron Hassey was up and someone shouted at the top of their lungs...
"Hassey has AIDS."

Hawk and Wimpy were kind of silent after that.

Omigod! I remember that game. It was really sick. It was more than one guy, and it was more like a chant. That was at the height of the AIDS epidemic, too.

ChiWhiteSox1337
10-22-2003, 11:43 PM
I can only imagine what the Tribune could have or did say about the aids chant. that's pretty messed up

PaleHoseGeorge
10-22-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
I can only imagine what the Tribune could have or did say about the aids chant. that's pretty messed up

The media was doing their level-best to ignore the Sox completely. The Dan Ryan reconstruction project was holding down what was already mediocre Sox attendance, and most of the newsstories involved the latest offer from St. Petersburg to entice the Sox to Florida. Given the AIDS chant, maybe it was a blessing for Sox Fans our team wasn't getting more coverage.

:(:

Unregistered
10-23-2003, 12:01 AM
Of course there was that solid block of time where you could hear the GUG at pretty much EVERY home game...

batmanZoSo
10-23-2003, 12:57 AM
I don't know of any great heckling jobs. The classic, faint "you suck!" in the background is always good.

But how about the best MLB player cussing moments?

I remember when the Blue Jays clinched the '92 World Series at "Old Turner Field," they did a close up of the mob celebration and Kelly Gruber clearly and audibly said "hoooly s###!"

ChiWhiteSox1337
10-23-2003, 01:05 AM
i heard jeff kent say the f-bomb on tv to the ump on fox vs the cubs this season. it was pretty funny, he was thrown out right after that

SaltyPretzel
10-23-2003, 08:23 AM
A few years ago, Mark Johnson got a game winning hit after a long slump (surprise). During the postgame radio interview, he said, "It's about f@#king time". He tried catching himself, but it was too late.

santo=dorf
10-23-2003, 10:31 AM
I always get a kick out of some kid screaming "Torii is a girl's name!" whenever the Twins pay us a visit. Also, how about that one hot dog vendor? You guys know what I'm talking about, "HOT DOGS!" No matter how large (or small) the crowd at the Cell I can hear always hear "HOT DOGS!"

Eddie Gaedel
10-23-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
Also, how about that one hot dog vendor? You guys know what I'm talking about, "HOT DOGS!" No matter how large (or small) the crowd at the Cell I can hear always hear "HOT DOGS!"

do you mean the guy who says 'hot dawgs' like he's from ny?

i like the vendor who screams 'ice cold milla liiiiiiight' like he's got a frog stuck in his throat. although, it gets old fast.

BTW, love the name. i used to call santo 'shorty', from now on it's 'dorf'.

santo=dorf
10-23-2003, 10:40 AM
i like the vendor who screams 'ice cold milla liiiiiiight' like he's got a frog stuck in his throat. although, it gets old fast.

Enjoy your Miller DDDDDRRRRAAAAFFFFTTTTT!

The Hot dog Vendor I usually see in the lower box on the third base side. I don't know how that man does not lose his voice screaming "HOT DOGS!" all night long.

pcullotta
10-23-2003, 10:52 AM
Me and everyone I know refer to him as the Angry Hot Dog Guy. You can hear him yelling "HOT DOGS!" on both the TV and radio broadcasts. It really quite annoying driving in your car and hearing the angry hot guy over the broadcasters.

cheeses_h_rice
10-23-2003, 11:30 AM
My 2 favorite vendors are the older white guy who enunciates every syllable in his delivery ("IceD Cream SanDwiCHeS!") and the black guy who sells peanuts and sings some ditty about "I got the salt! salt! salt!".

Hilarious.

santo=dorf
10-23-2003, 11:52 AM
My 2 favorite vendors are the older white guy who enunciates every syllable in his delivery ("IceD Cream SanDwiCHeS!"
YES! I know exactly who you are talking about. He'll say it like that the first time, then he'll say it normally and more quietly. I didn't see in the 2003 season however.
:(:

adsit
10-23-2003, 05:28 PM
My favorite heckling moment wasn't during a baseball game, it was during the 1982 Liberty Bowl. I've never forgotten it after all this time.

Fightin' Illini fans, with the appropriate beery baritones, could be clearly heard over the course of this Mizlou (remember them?) broadcast giving Bear Bryant the business.

"Hey, old man... what the hell does 'Roll Tide' mean anyway?"

"It smells like a damn bear took a dump back here."

"Yeah... an old bear!"

...on and on and on. For the whole game. The idea of this coaching legend, synonymous with a successful Alabama football program, in the twilight of his career, playing in a second-rate bowl game against Illinois, who at that point hadn't done much of anything with football... and having to endure their endless taunting!

Priceless.

LuvSox
10-23-2003, 05:44 PM
One of my favorites happened when I was too young to know better than watch a Cub game. During a rain delay the camera is panning around the park, showing what people are doing as the announcers yapped endlessly about god-knows-what. The camera stops on two kids, couldn't have been more than 12 year olds, leaning against a rail, smirking at the camera. Suddenly one nudges the other, and they give the camera the finger. It was hilarious, then the shot changes right away to something else. I have no idea why I remember that day, but it was funny to me as a kid. :smile:

StepsInSC
10-23-2003, 05:59 PM
This isn't even heckling and its lame, but I love how at several Tiger's games I go to, the crowd gets upset over a bad call by the ref and starts throwing stuff onto the field. The PA announcer comes on and right as he finishes saying "Fans please refrain from throwing things onto the playing field" this huge bag of trash plops down on the field like it was heaved from the upper deck.

The timing and irony is just so perfect, so horribly subtle and yet so blatent.

RichH55
10-23-2003, 07:26 PM
Wil Cordero playing LF

Makes an error

From Crowd : "Ohhhh, My Wife's gonna pay for that!"

Chicago Derby
10-23-2003, 10:40 PM
"You suck Torii get a real name!"

Not that funny, but I still laughed.

CD

WhiteSox = Life
10-23-2003, 10:50 PM
It may not have been audible on TV, but those in the left field foul line seats started yelling at Shannon Stewart when the Twins played at the Cell in the infamous Paniagua Affair Game.

He was really getting upset and wound up being pinch-hit for to start off the next inning. (I wonder why.)

Of course, what did we all yell at him for 10 minutes straight?

MARTHA STEWART! MARTHA STEWART!

Fun, fun times.

:D:

voodoochile
10-23-2003, 11:04 PM
I was in the RF bleachers at Wrigley a long time ago and the opposing RF'er comes up to bat. He is hitting .216 before striking out looking to end the inning. He comes back out to the OF the next half and the whole section is chanting .214, .214, .214. He k's again in his next at bat and it is .211, .211, .211. Guy behind me stands up and asks him if he has an incentive clause for strikeouts. Later he committed an error. It got ugly.

Sox game a few years ago against the Angels at Soxpark. Salmon misplays a baseball from a single into a triple, looking completely futile in the process. When he later runs by our seats down the 1B line, my buddy yells, "You should change your name to Lox, because you got smoked on that last one."

1951Campbell
10-24-2003, 12:19 AM
When I lived in Boston and listened to good ol' WEEI, it was always funny to listen to Joe Castiglione and Jerry Trupiano try to keep there chatter going during Yankee games so they could drown out the "Jeter swallows" chants.

Other good chants at Fenway: my coolest game ever...the Pedro vs. Roger game during the 1999 ALCS. 34,000 chanting "where is Roger? In the shower" and then "just like Cleveland! (clap clap clap) just like Cleveland!", because Red Sox fan was under the mistaken impression that the BoSox could go down 2-0 versus the Yankees and win the next three, just like with...yeah, you get the idea.

1951Campbell
10-24-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Sox game a few years ago against the Angels at Soxpark. Salmon misplays a baseball from a single into a triple, looking completely futile in the process. When he later runs by our seats down the 1B line, my buddy yells, "You should change your name to Lox, because you got smoked on that last one."

The above heckle can never, ever be topped! Man!

:)

ChiWhiteSox1337
10-24-2003, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
It may not have been audible on TV, but those in the left field foul line seats started yelling at Shannon Stewart when the Twins played at the Cell in the infamous Paniagua Affair Game.

He was really getting upset and wound up being pinch-hit for to start off the next inning. (I wonder why.)

Of course, what did we all yell at him for 10 minutes straight?

MARTHA STEWART! MARTHA STEWART!

Fun, fun times.

:D:
LOL!!!!! That's hilarious, I wish some of the fans were like that when I sit in the outfield

FJA
10-24-2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by adsit
My favorite heckling moment wasn't during a baseball game, it was during the 1982 Liberty Bowl. I've never forgotten it after all this time.

Fightin' Illini fans, with the appropriate beery baritones, could be clearly heard over the course of this Mizlou (remember them?) broadcast giving Bear Bryant the business.

"Hey, old man... what the hell does 'Roll Tide' mean anyway?"

"It smells like a damn bear took a dump back here."

"Yeah... an old bear!"

...on and on and on. For the whole game. The idea of this coaching legend, synonymous with a successful Alabama football program, in the twilight of his career, playing in a second-rate bowl game against Illinois, who at that point hadn't done much of anything with football... and having to endure their endless taunting!

Priceless.

LMAO ... I wasn't even a year old for the 1982 Liberty Bowl, but I have to give props to Illini fans (being an Illinois alum and former Block I/Orange Krush member) ... anyone else here ever been to an Illini hockey game? Almost nothing is better than kicking back a few beers and heading over to the Illini Ice Arena. For fear of being kicked off WSI, I won't repeat the kinds of things yelled from the stands ... besides, it's almost better as an inside joke. All I have to say is, it is definitely worth a special trip down just for the kind of crowd you will never see anywhere else.

bc2k
10-24-2003, 01:52 AM
If you want to hear heckling, sit in the bleachers. It's best going with a group of guys so you have a support group and built in audience that laughs at your bad heckles. Nothing worse than yelling at the top of your lungs and hearing crickets all around you. "I said, that's GOTTA hurt!"

In a 2003 embarrasing loss to Toronto this year, the bleacher guys let Vernon Wells have it. I developed respect for the man that night as he played along with us. He would cup his ear with his hand when we would go quiet, only to egg the crowd on more. Our interaction with Vernon was better than the actual game.

In a 2003 game with Minnesota, we yelled out to Radke warming up with Pierzynski. After the token polish jokes to A.J., we asked him what his kneepads were for, followed by a, "don't choke." Nice double meaning there. Sox won a laugher that day, so I'll take some credit.

Another bleacher game vs. the Twins, some guy named Ford was playing left field. He missed a play in the field and then we yelled, "Hey Ford, that was an edsel of a play!"

eriqjaffe
10-24-2003, 10:20 AM
Well, I can only assume this one got picked up by the radio:

I went to go see the Kane County Cougars, back in...93 or so. Early on. It was raining, and there were only 30 or so people at the game. They were playing the Ft. Wayne Wizards, and when the PA announcer said,

"And here are the starting lineups for the visiting Ft. Wayne Wizards."

Somebody yelled, "HELP, MR. WIZARD! I DON'T WANNA BE A BALLPLAYER ANY MORE!"

Even some of the Wizards were laughing at it.

--Eriq.

maurice
10-24-2003, 03:02 PM
Chanting at OFs is one of the main reasons I prefer to sit in OF seats. Two-sylable chants work best, as evidenced by this season's magnificent COR-KY chant and the all-time-great HAR-OLD chant. There are some exceptions, however. My second favorite from this season was a guy who kept randomly yelling ES-CO-BAR at Jndjans RF Alex Escobar. Oddly, I find our chanting well-received when we go to stadiums in other cities. I guess it's novel to them.

Some other classic chants:

Albert Belle: JO-EY
George Bell: JOR-GE
Aubrey Huff: AU-DREY
Jay Gibbons: RO-BIN (Robin Givens)
Shannon Stewart: MAR-THA (mentioned before)

Unfortunately, George Bell seemed to appreciate our chanting when he played for Toronto, following it with roof shots.

Realist
10-24-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
My 2 favorite vendors are the older white guy who enunciates every syllable in his delivery ("IceD Cream SanDwiCHeS!") and the black guy who sells peanuts and sings some ditty about "I got the salt! salt! salt!".

Hilarious.

*****!! I call the "IceD Cream SanDwiCHeS!" guy Ed. I always tell people that I'm at the game with, "Listen... it sounds like he lost a bet and he's gotta be the guy that has to sell the ice cream sandwiches. This past season he wasn't pushin' the ice cream. He had other goodies but I can't remember what they were.

thecell
10-24-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Realist
*****!! I call the "IceD Cream SanDwiCHeS!" guy Ed. I always tell people that I'm at the game with, "Listen... it sounds like he lost a bet and he's gotta be the guy that has to sell the ice cream sandwiches. This past season he wasn't pushin' the ice cream. He had other goodies but I can't remember what they were.

I saw him a few times selling beer.

Realist
10-24-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
Maybe this is PL material, these things get pretty blurry in the offseason (well, the Sox offseason, anyway...), but as I was watching game 4 of the World Series, during a quiet point in the 9th inning, you could clearly and loudly hear someone yell "Urbina You Suck!". (I know, insanely original. :D: )

Anyway, my question is, does anyone have a favorite heckling moment watching a game where they heard someone screaming (or even just talking) that got picked up by the mic?

I'm not sure if it was caught on a broadcast or not because I was at the game but there was one point during the past season that the Sox had just lost to Detroit 1-0. The place was dead quiet and I just got done calling my brother to tell him, "It's official. We're now the worst team in baseball." In the deafening silence and while the victorious super team Detroit Tigers trotted off the field, one lone fan 4 rows behind me let out the cry, "YOU GUYS HAVE NO IDEA HOW BAD I HATE YOU RIGHT NOW!!"

If the television broadcast had picked that up, it would have been a perfect time to fade out of the game's telecast and right into joining The Cosby Show... already in progress.

Scotty347
10-24-2003, 04:31 PM
My favorite is the beer vendor who resembles Scottie Pippen.

npdempse
10-24-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Realist

This isn't the guy who looks like he could be John Leguizamo's half-witted cousin, is it? I think he was pushing cotton candy one day this year, and said something really foul-mouthed about how awful the cotton candy is. Dude's creepy. I've heard him tell people, at Sox games, that he's a Cubs fan. Also saw him up at Wrigley the one time I've been there.

Realist
10-24-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by npdempse
This isn't the guy who looks like he could be John Leguizamo's half-witted cousin, is it? I think he was pushing cotton candy one day this year, and said something really foul-mouthed about how awful the cotton candy is. Dude's creepy. I've heard him tell people, at Sox games, that he's a Cubs fan. Also saw him up at Wrigley the one time I've been there.

The guy I'm talking about is about 6'4" and looks like he's in his early 70's.

Dadawg_77
10-24-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by npdempse

They taste like a blow job? That what that kid said about Lemon Chills.

Foulke You
10-24-2003, 06:02 PM
My favorite is the old guy in the concourse selling programs. "HEEEEY NOW! Line-up. HEEEY NOW! Line up. HEY NOW!" He has been selling programs at Comiskey as long as I can remember. I think perhaps he died some time in the '89 season and the Sox organization has simply re-animated him or are using a robot replacement. Oh yeah, it is time for my coffee break soon. :D:

*Enter Simpsons Comic Book Guy voice* Old Man Program is the Best...Vender...Ever!!

Thunderstruck30
10-25-2003, 12:53 AM
There was one game vs the Rangers and someone yelled at Palmeiro "Hey Palmeiro, u know your career is over when the Cubs get rid of u!!!!"

Jerko
10-25-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
They taste like a blow job? That what that kid said about Lemon Chills.

Did he SAY he was a Cub fan or are we just assuming that because he knows what a blow job tastes like?

DSpivack
10-26-2003, 02:43 AM
well, it is not quite appropriate here, but one of my [unfortunately cubbie fan] friends was at wrigley in 1999 when they still had Rod Beck but he sucked, and some dude gets up and yells "Hey, big fat sweaty guy!"...

also, was at one of those awesome twins games in early july and bobby kielty trips and falls in the early innings going for a ball, as i was sitting in right, so we egged him on the rest of the game, it was really funny.

but the salmon/ lox thing? that can not be topped.

nasox
10-26-2003, 02:09 PM
this is a bit off subject, but in one of the Royals games in Kauffman, the TV had just switched to a view of the crowd when a young girl in her 20s decided to show her wares. The hawk and dj were silent for a few seconds and then stammered to say something I didn't catch because I was laughing so hard.