PDA

View Full Version : Guess whom the Giants got rid of today?

Viva Magglio
10-22-2003, 10:59 PM
Do we want this person (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/6742306) if we don't re-sign Everett? I'm 50/50 on that.

Jerry_Manuel
10-22-2003, 11:01 PM
I think it's been made pretty clear that Carl will not be back. I'm guessing it's Rowand-Harris-Borchard fighting for the job.

Oh goodie! :(:

MRKARNO
10-22-2003, 11:02 PM
Do we want another mediocre-average, high homer total type of hitter? I personally dont

Hondo
10-22-2003, 11:02 PM
Boy I don't know. I'd kinda like to see more production out of a CF.
He would be a defensive upgrade over Everett.
I'll have to sleep on that one. Depends on who else may become available.
And why did the Giants let them go? How may they be going after?

batmanZoSo
10-23-2003, 12:22 AM
I'd rather just keep Everett and trade Lee. Cruz is a crappy hitter and I wasn't too impressed with his playoff performance. He cost the Giants a game.

Brian26
10-23-2003, 12:26 AM
He cost the Giants two playoff games. Stay away from him! There's a reason the Giants didn't re-sign him.

batmanZoSo
10-23-2003, 12:37 AM
If for no other reason, his goatee is just too big.

But we shouldn't fault him for his defense. If he doesn't play like a schmuck, the Giants would've swept the series and I'm sure the cubs would've beaten them.

rmusacch
10-23-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Hondo
Boy I don't know. I'd kinda like to see more production out of a CF.
He would be a defensive upgrade over Everett.
I'll have to sleep on that one. Depends on who else may become available.
And why did the Giants let them go? How may they be going after?

I thought that Cruz was a corner outfielder?

kraut83
10-23-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by rmusacch
I thought that Cruz was a corner outfielder?

Me too, wasn't Marquis Grissom their CF this year?

poorme
10-23-2003, 09:43 AM
Cruz can play anywhere in the OF. He's very good defensively in non-playoff games. Had 100 walks last year. He's an OK player. Better than Rowand for sure. Switch hitter.

TheRockinMT
10-23-2003, 05:24 PM
I liked Carl Everett a lot. I think he was an excellent fit with the Sox, but the reason we aren't pursuing him is money. Why pay $4 to 5M for another OF. I think one of the ways the Sox will sign people like Colon and R Alomar is by going with our own young talent in CF at less cost. It will be Rowand, Reed or Borchard in CF and maybe one of the three as a back up OF. I don;t see us signing a starting OF'er and if we do I hope it's Everett again.

thepaulbowski
10-23-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by poorme
Cruz can play anywhere in the OF. He's very good defensively in non-playoff games. Had 100 walks last year. He's an OK player. Better than Rowand for sure. Switch hitter.

Better than Rowand, but chokes under pressure....hmmm....doesn't sound like a player I want on my team.

RedPinStripes
10-23-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
I'd rather just keep Everett and trade Lee.

Your what hurts? :?:

RichH55
10-23-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
Better than Rowand, but chokes under pressure....hmmm....doesn't sound like a player I want on my team.

Of course his numbers choking are about what Rowand would put up, so maybe you have set the bar too low in terms of comparison?

100 walks last year? All depends on what type of money he wants (4.0 million or less and I do it pretty readily)

RichH55
10-23-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by TheRockinMT
I liked Carl Everett a lot. I think he was an excellent fit with the Sox, but the reason we aren't pursuing him is money. Why pay $4 to 5M for another OF. I think one of the ways the Sox will sign people like Colon and R Alomar is by going with our own young talent in CF at less cost. It will be Rowand, Reed or Borchard in CF and maybe one of the three as a back up OF. I don;t see us signing a starting OF'er and if we do I hope it's Everett again.

Wrong Side of 30
History of injuries --Knees?
Best numbers in last 3 years magically come in Contract year

Not the formula you want

Unless its a one year deal

batmanZoSo
10-23-2003, 10:26 PM
RedPinStripes,

Lee is overrated. I would take Everett, Rowand over Lee, Rowand. I'd even take Everett-Rowand over Lee-Everett because of defense and the money involved.

Daver
10-23-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
RedPinStripes,

Lee is overrated. I would take Everett, Rowand over Lee, Rowand. I'd even take Everett-Rowand over Lee-Everett because of defense and the money involved.

Rowand plays defense?

Everett plays defense?

Since when?