PDA

View Full Version : Reportedly: The UD will lose about 6,000 seats

MRKARNO
10-22-2003, 07:10 PM
ESPN 1000 is reporting that 6,000 seats will be removed from the upper deck, of which the demolition began today. Capacity will be reduced to 41,000 for next year as opposed to the 47,000 we have now.

Meixner007
10-22-2003, 07:14 PM
Damn, now it's going to be really hard to get a ticket.

MarqSox
10-22-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Meixner007
Damn, now it's going to be really hard to get a ticket.
Well, it'll be hella tough to get tickets to Cubs-Sox now ... and if they make the postseason, fuggetaboutit.

duke of dorwood
10-22-2003, 08:07 PM
The first section of the roof was removed today

Jerry_Manuel
10-22-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
ESPN 1000 is reporting that 6,000 seats will be removed from the upper deck, of which the demolition began today.

Oh really? That's why photos of seats already removed we're posted here 2 weeks ago. Great reporting once again!

MRKARNO
10-22-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Oh really? That's why photos of seats already removed we're posted here 2 weeks ago. Great reporting once again!

The point was that the demolition started today and that a finite number of seats was being removed. Obviously we all knew that some seats were being removed, but not when or how many. Now we know when (now) and how many (6000)

PaleHoseGeorge
10-22-2003, 08:50 PM
Wow. 6000 is a lot more than I would have expected. How many seats does the upper deck contain? I thought it was around 10,000. If seven rows contains 6,000 seats, clearly the 10,000 estimate was far too low.

Jerry_Manuel
10-22-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
If seven rows contains 6,000 seats, clearly the 10,000 estimate was far too low.

Maybe it is more then 7 rows being taken out?

I'm sure when the Sox get done talking to all the big free agents they'll be signing this winter, they'll let us in on their secret plans. :D:

MisterB
10-22-2003, 09:02 PM
Wow. 6000 is a lot more than I would have expected. How many seats does the upper deck contain? I thought it was around 10,000. If seven rows contains 6,000 seats, clearly the 10,000 estimate was far too low.

In an earlier thread on the subject, jocrede said he saw a seating capacity placard in the upper deck that listed it as around 19,600.

Daver
10-22-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
In an earlier thread on the subject, jocrede said he saw a seating capacity placard in the upper deck that listed it as around 19,600.

That would hold true from the original prints for the park,that stated the lower/upper deck split would be close to 60/40.

GoSox2K3
10-22-2003, 09:19 PM
Based on these numbers, can anyone estimate the number of rows that will be taken out?

I'd try to do the math, but - you know - I'm just a boneheaded Sox fan.

batmanZoSo
10-22-2003, 09:20 PM
When they add a home run porch it'll be back up another 2500 or so.

MRKARNO
10-22-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by MisterB

Well then the estimate of ten rows being taken out was accurate

joecrede
10-22-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
Based on these numbers, can anyone estimate the number of rows that will be taken out?

I'd try to do the math, but - you know - I'm just a boneheaded Sox fan.

I heard on ESPN Radio that 6,600 seats are being removed. There are 29 rows in the UD and around 19,600 seats total. A rough estimate would be 1/3 of the rows removed (10).

After reading the post from the person has seats in the UD who contacted their season ticket rep, and was told six rows would be removed it got me thinking ...

Is it possible that the new roof will start where those six rows are lopped off, keeping more seats behind homplate and in the infield, removing more than the top 10 rows the further you go down the lines? In the sections with less than 23 rows, that space will be where the arches are?

MRKARNO
10-22-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
I heard on ESPN Radio that 6,600 seats are being removed. There are 29 rows in the UD and around 19,600 seats total. A rough estimate would be 1/3 of the rows removed (10).

After reading the post from the person has seats in the UD who contacted their season ticket rep, and was told six rows would be removed it got me thinking ...

Is it possible that the new roof will start where those six rows are lopped off, keeping more seats behind homplate and in the infield, removing more than the top 10 rows the further you go down the lines? In the sections with less than 23 rows, that space will be where the arches are?

I am a proponent of sloping the UD like at Kauffman, but I'm not sure it can happen

PaleHoseGeorge
10-22-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by joecrede

You're a board treasure, joecrede.

:)

cheeses_h_rice
10-22-2003, 09:58 PM
Fox 32 just had a teaser for their news tonight with an overhead shot of the Cell, showing chairs stacked up on the top rampart, saying "What's going on at US Cellular Field? After the game..."

I'm heading out in a bit, so if anyone watches this, please tell us what they say.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-22-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Fox 32 just had a teaser for their news tonight with an overhead shot of the Cell, showing chairs stacked up on the top rampart, saying "What's going on at US Cellular Field? After the game..."

I'm heading out in a bit, so if anyone watches this, please tell us what they say.

The suspense builds....

What, couldn't Fox do any more interviews with Steve Bartman's little league team? :smile:

joecrede
10-22-2003, 10:09 PM
You're a board treasure, joecrede.

Thanks PHG! Am I the first ever to receive "board treasure" status? I believe I am. I would say I'm not worthy, but why lie about it. :D:

ihatethecubs
10-22-2003, 11:48 PM
great, now i have to deal with the sun for another hour in left field.

ChiWhiteSox1337
10-23-2003, 01:06 AM
Fox news just said this is going to take about 6-8 weeks. They said the Sox are going to make an announcement today.

CLR01
10-23-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
They said the Sox are going to make an announcement today.

I'm thinking they are going to announce they are moving to Mexico in 2004. The seats getting removed is just some early packing. The Cubs playoff appearance did them in.

DrCrawdad
10-23-2003, 06:04 AM
Fox news just said this is going to take about 6-8 weeks. They said the Sox are going to make an announcement today.

Did they say that there would be an announcement today or that there would be one soon?

I taped the segment so I'll watch the tape.

The segment was all of about 15 seconds. I was a bit dissappointed.

thepaulbowski
10-23-2003, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by ihatethecubs
great, now i have to deal with the sun for another hour in left field.

D-oh!!! I never thought about that. I may have to invest in a pair of good, non-gas station bought, sunglasses.

Procol Harum
10-23-2003, 10:21 AM

Any of you memory hawks out there that can give us a history of White Sox management's denials about the upper deck being a problem and/or their denials that they were considering removing a chunk of seats? Anybody know the most recent date of one of these kinds of pronouncements?

:reinsy
"What? You guys know my word is my word"

PaleHoseGeorge
10-23-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
Any of you memory hawks out there that can give us a history of White Sox management's denials about the upper deck being a problem and/or their denials that they were considering removing a chunk of seats? Anybody know the most recent date of one of these kinds of pronouncements?

"What? You guys know my word is my word"

LOL! I should have saved some of the more ridiculous quotes I've read and heard from the Sox brass claiming everything was fine with the upper deck. There have been some Duesies.

As for Reinsdorf, he has changed tactics. Rather than stonewalling the issue (which he did throughout the 90's), he now has a new explanation that reflects the reality of ballpark renovations and yet still holds himself blameless for any of the missteps or resulting costs of modifications. Who can forget this one:

"Sox Fans don't want to win as much as I do."

LMAO! The man cannot help himself. He is a two-legged P.R. disaster! :smile: :smile:

Reinsdorf's foot -----------------------> Reinsdorf's mouth

A.T. Money
10-23-2003, 10:51 AM
This is why the new Sox mascot should be Jerry Ratsdorf. LOL.

washington
10-23-2003, 12:53 PM
He's come out with some great ones

"Look, I thought people wanted unobstructed views and wide aisles. I guessed wrong. People wanted a more homey feeling." April 2003

"I don't think there's any question that it would be easier for a lot of our fans if we were in the western or southwestern suburbs...insdorf said. "...If you used Comiskey Park as a center of a circle and you draw a circle with a 25- to 30-mile radius around Comiskey Park, 40 percent of that circle is Lake Michigan. And fish don't go to the ballpark.

"If you drew that same circle around Addison, where we wanted to be, as the center of it, every bit of that circle is filled with people. Clearly it would have been easier for our fans to come to games if we were in Addison. But we're not."
May 1999

A.T. Money
10-23-2003, 01:19 PM
Screw Addison. That would have been a HUUUUUGE mistake.

voodoochile
10-23-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by washington

"I don't think there's any question that it would be easier for a lot of our fans if we were in the western or southwestern suburbs...insdorf said. "...If you used Comiskey Park as a center of a circle and you draw a circle with a 25- to 30-mile radius around Comiskey Park, 40 percent of that circle is Lake Michigan. And fish don't go to the ballpark.

I forgot about that fish comment. Too funny. Anyone want to tell JR that the other 60% of that circle is some of the more densely populated land in the world and that is human population exclusely that I am talking about. I am sure there are a good number of dogs, cats, rats and cockroaches mixed in there who won't be attending the games either. Damn them dogs. Damn them to hell...

ewokpelts
10-23-2003, 01:41 PM

"Look, I thought people wanted unobstructed views and wide aisles. I guessed wrong. People wanted a more homey feeling." April 2003

"If you drew that same circle around Addison, where we wanted to be, as the center of it, every bit of that circle is filled with people. Clearly it would have been easier for our fans to come to games if we were in Addison. But we're not."
May 1999

he sed this?

SoxxoS
10-23-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by A.T. Money
Screw Addison. That would have been a HUUUUUGE mistake.

Can I ask why?

I don't think so. That would have been the best thing to happen to the Sox from a attendance standpoint. Imagine the people communiting from the North suburbs to the West on 355/294 every day? Coming back from work, they could take a quick left on Lake Street, and you are at the park.

That would have been the best thing that could of happened to them.

Procol Harum
10-23-2003, 02:28 PM

"... And fish don't go to the ballpark.

Well, they do seem to go to the World Series a lot more often than your teams do, Jerry.

Iwritecode
10-23-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I forgot about that fish comment. Too funny. Anyone want to tell JR that the other 60% of that circle is some of the more densely populated land in the world and that is human population exclusely that I am talking about. I am sure there are a good number of dogs, cats, rats and cockroaches mixed in there who won't be attending the games either. Damn them dogs. Damn them to hell...

Why do you think they came up with "dog day" at the park??? Now they just need a"cat day" and a "rat day"...

voodoochile
10-23-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Why do you think they came up with "dog day" at the park??? Now they just need a"cat day" and a "rat day"...

I forgot all about dog day briefly when I wrote that. Okay, never mind. The dogs seem to be pulling their weight after all and I remember the cat on the field incident, so it must be the rats fault. Though almost any building that size in Chicago is going to have a few critters in it at any time, especially during the colder months. I guess Reinsdorf was right, the only ones not pulling their weight are the fish...

Foulke You
10-23-2003, 02:54 PM
I drove past the ballpark today and there were two TV news trucks (CLTV and WLS 7) parked on Shields. The cranes were removing a section of the blue colored roof behind homeplate and scaffolding was set up underneath that section. Judging by the fact that they started the real work on the roof today and the news trucks there, I would say it is safe to assume there will be an announcement soon.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-23-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I drove past the ballpark today and there were two TV news trucks (CLTV and WLS 7) parked on Shields. The cranes were removing a section of the blue colored roof behind homeplate and scaffolding was set up underneath that section. Judging by the fact that they started the real work on the roof today and the news trucks there, I would say it is safe to assume there will be an announcement soon.

You can cut the suspense with a knife!

rcescato
10-23-2003, 05:04 PM
I just want to win. I don't care how many seats are in the park
or what it looks like.

MRKARNO
10-23-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by rcescato
I just want to win. I don't care how many seats are in the park
or what it looks like.

I second the first part.

Not the second part. Amount of seats is important because it could make the park seem more filled when it's not as filled. Those Saturday night crowds of 30,000 are now going to seem A LOT bigger because 3/4 of the park woul be filled instead of just the 2/3 of the park filled that there was before.

thepaulbowski
10-23-2003, 05:30 PM
You can cut the suspense with a knife!

Ouch...you missed the suspense and got me. :D:

Viva Magglio
10-23-2003, 05:34 PM
I went by the ballpark on the Metra Southwest today. The main thing is that they are currently removing the blue upper deck overhang behind home plate. You can also see that seats have been removed, which they are piling up on the exit ramps. There is all kinds of equipment, and they are using the parking lot between Gate 3 and Gate 4 as the staging area.

joecrede
10-23-2003, 05:54 PM
CLTV says top eight rows are being removed. Upper deck looked much less ominous, now if they can just replace the blue seats with forest green ones . . . :)

batmanZoSo
10-23-2003, 10:23 PM
They just gotta paint them, not replace them. That would cost a ton of money and it would be unreasonable because the seats are like brand new. But I think it would really be an improvement. And it would cost that much money to do, and It would only take a few weeks. Just drop off the aisles, remove the number plates, paint, spray paint and use a flat acrylic clear coat.

anewman35
10-24-2003, 08:00 AM
There are now stories on this at the Sun-Times (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-nws-ballpark24.html) and the Daily Southtown (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/241sd4.htm) , and best of all, Whitesox.com (http://whitesox.com) has some pictures of the work so far. Very nice!

Also, this is why it was a good idea to not announce it all at once. They got stories a few weeks ago when seats started disappearing, stories now, and will get more stories when they announce the plans. More press coverage for the same work.

anewman35
10-24-2003, 08:17 AM
And here's a short story (from a few days ago? Did we all miss this?) in the Tribune (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chicago/chi-0310190218oct19,1,2072901.story)

mrwag
10-24-2003, 09:05 AM
With those rows gone, it sure does change the feeling of the place. I can't wait to see the finished product!

GoSox2K3
10-24-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by anewman35
There are now stories on this at the Sun-Times (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-nws-ballpark24.html) and the Daily Southtown (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/241sd4.htm) , and best of all, Whitesox.com (http://whitesox.com) has some pictures of the work so far. Very nice!

Thanks for the links!

Highlights from the articles:
- The articles also confirm the roof canopy.

-They also say that the upper deck concourse will be more enclosed with amenities added.

-According to the Daily Southtown the Sox are considering changing Sunday start times to 2pm and might change the starting times for other days as well.

Scotty347
10-24-2003, 10:27 AM
I think an interesting thing mentioned in a couple of the articles is regarding ticket prices.

They say they are looking at changing the prices since almost all of the upper reserved seats are being removed.

Is it possible that they would LOWER some prices in the upper deck in an effort to fill it up the first year after the renovation?

Or should that have been in TEAL?

anewman35
10-24-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
Thanks for the links!

Highlights from the articles:

-They also say that the upper deck concourse will be more enclosed with amenities added.

One of those computer generated pictures floating around last year showed big windows on the top of the upper concourse, enclosing it. I wonder if that's still the plan?

Also interesting in the articles is that they are going to sell some of the seats for charity. Get some to go with your old Comiskey seats!

washington
10-24-2003, 10:50 AM
How long before Paul Sullivan or someone else at the Cubune writes that the renovations make the stadium worse?

dllrbll7
10-24-2003, 11:28 AM
If you go to the HKS website and look at the drawings for the Cell the one of the upper deck concourse clearly shows the big windows they are planning to enclose it with. Here is the link to their site.
HKS Portfolio (http://www.hksinc.com/2002/portfolio.htm)