PDA

View Full Version : USA Today: Sports Weekly has good news for Sox fans.....

Steve Bartman
10-22-2003, 05:48 PM
I just got my USA Today: Sports Weekly in mail today and Bob Nightengale has some good projections on where free agents will end up. He says the following..... (areas of interest are in bold)
Starters
1. Bartolo Colon - White Sox
2. Andy Pettite - Yankees
3. Kevin Millwood - Braves
4. Greg Maddux - Cardinals
5. Kelvim Escobar - Blue Jays

Relievers
1. Keith Foulke - Red Sox
2. LaTroy Hawkins - Cubs
3. Trevor Hoffman - Padres
4. Tom Gordon - White Sox
5. Eddie Guardado - Twins

Catchers
1. Ivan Rodriguez - Orioles
2. Javy Lopez - Cubs
3. Benito Satiago - Royals

First Basemen
1. Rafeal Palmeiro - Mariners
2. J.T. Snow - Braves
3. Scott Spiezio - Giants

Second Basemen
1. Luis Castillo - Yankees
2. Roberto Alomar - White Sox
3. Fernando Vina - Marlins

Third Basemen
1. Tony Batista - Braves
2. Vinny Castilla - Orioles
3. Joe Randa - Royals

Shortstops
1. Kazuo Matsui - Mariners
2. Miguel Tejada - Angels
3. Rich Aurillia - Padres

Outfielders
1. Gary Sheffield - Yankees
2. Vladimir Guerrero - Orioles
3. Mike Carmeron - Devil Rays
4. Carl Everett - Devil Rays
5. Brian Jordan - Diamondbacks

* I am glad we are bringing back Colon and Alomar. If the guy is correct and we do bring back Gordon, I think we will be in good shape.

Steve Bartman
10-22-2003, 05:57 PM
He also mentions the Cubs are going to sign Kerry Wood to a long term deal, pick up Clements $6 million option, and trade for Sexson. Is Hawkins going to the Cubs a good thing or bad thing? It's like the old arguement, is Prior better off on the Cubs or Twins? :?:

Bobby Thigpen
10-22-2003, 06:05 PM
If the Devil Rays acquire both Everett and Cameron does that mean that some of their young outfielders would possibly be available? I'd like to see Rocco or one of those other guys in center on the South Side. Especially Baldelli. Young, speed to burn, seems to have huge heart, a little of a free swinger though. I'd love to see him with the Sox.

npdempse
10-22-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
If the Devil Rays acquire both Everett and Cameron does that mean that some of their young outfielders would possibly be available? I'd like to see Rocco or one of those other guys in center on the South Side. Especially Baldelli. Young, speed to burn, seems to have huge heart, a little of a free swinger though. I'd love to see him with the Sox.

As long as all the beer soakings don't slow him down, I'd be happy with him out there. :D:

39thandWallace
10-22-2003, 06:46 PM
They have a team similar to the marlins, a lot of young talent. Huff plays outfield and first and third. I doubt they will add a big name in a fielding position, they need pitching though.

Risk
10-22-2003, 06:54 PM
Yeah, the D-Rays do have some pretty young talent in the outfield. Baldelli's going to be really good. I think that Crawford guy is going to be pretty good to. that guy can really fly on the basepaths.

Risk

ChiSox14305635
10-22-2003, 06:55 PM
Castillo to the Yankees? Where the heck would Soriano go?

Paulwny
10-22-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635

CF, Williams to left, Matsui to right, Soriano is not an infielder.

DirtySouthsider
10-22-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635

I was thinking the same thing? The Yankees entire infield is already set. It makes no sense???

MRKARNO
10-22-2003, 07:08 PM
If we kept Colon, Gordon and Alomar, I think we'd still be in GREAT shape for a serious run next year

jabrch
10-22-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
CF, Williams to left, Matsui to right, Soriano is not an infielder.

Not an IF? He played SS all his life before coming to NYY.

MRKARNO
10-22-2003, 07:14 PM
Vlad, Pudge and Castilla to the O's?
Wow

StepsInSC
10-22-2003, 07:22 PM
Oh no Javy to the Cubs? Gawd I hope not.

Paulwny
10-22-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Not an IF? He played SS all his life before coming to NYY.

Before the yanks converted him to a catcher, Posada was a ss in the yankee farm system. That doesn't mean he's capable of playing ss or 2nd base.

The move of Soriano to cf is out of ny. He has speed and an arm, Williams has lost a step and never had an arm. If the yanks can get a 2nd baseman they'll try Soriano in cf next year. The yankee brass has had Randolph working constantly with Soriano and he still has problems at 2nd.

Steve Bartman
10-22-2003, 08:01 PM
What I read was, Matsui will be in Left, Soriano in Center, Sheffield in Right. Then, Bernie Williams will DH because he is having knee problems......and the rich get richer.

Paulwny
10-22-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Steve Bartman
What I read was, Matsui will be in Left, Soriano in Center, Sheffield in Right. Then, Bernie Williams will DH because he is having knee problems......and the rich get richer.

They always have too many options.
If they obtain Sheffield, were do they play Johnson, who looks very good, Williams,and Giambi ?
Why don't we ever have these types of problems?

ChiWhiteSox1337
10-22-2003, 08:12 PM
yeah, now it really opens my eyes. castillo and sheffield when they already have a stacked line up :angry:

Steve Bartman
10-22-2003, 08:15 PM
They always have too many options.
If they obtain Sheffield, were do they play Johnson, who looks very good, Williams,and Giambi ?
Why don't we ever have these types of problems?

:reinsy
.....you're looking at the reason.

StillMissOzzie
10-24-2003, 07:45 PM
The move of Soriano to cf is out of ny. He has speed and an arm, Williams has lost a step and never had an arm. If the yanks can get a 2nd baseman they'll try Soriano in cf next year. The yankee brass has had Randolph working constantly with Soriano and he still has problems at 2nd.

Does the name Robin Yount ring a bell? Yeah, he was a SS instead of 2B, but it can be done.

:gulp:

SMO

RichH55
10-25-2003, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
Oh no Javy to the Cubs? Gawd I hope not.

I hope so....Javy is going to age about 20 years this offseason and he will probably put up half his numbers from this year

Todd Hunley Part II

RichH55
10-25-2003, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by Steve Bartman
:reinsy
.....you're looking at the reason.

I think the fact thats its NY plays a role as well....That market could support 4 teams at least, but you get 2

Whats the old Veeck line about how there is no talent in simply being in the biggest market?

white sox bill
10-25-2003, 08:55 AM
USA Today: Sports Weekly has good news for Sox fans.....

I thought at first they were gonna tell us that they saved 20% on their car insurance by switching to Geico!

I'm gonna print out predictions and check them this spring to see what % of them are correct. I'm skeptical about a lot of them.