PDA

View Full Version : New Mascot?

IronFisk
10-22-2003, 03:23 PM
Looks like the Sox might be getting a new mascot. My wife works with the guy who is the mascot for the minor league Gary Railcats and CBA Steelheads (Rusty and Steely if you care), and he told her that he tried out to be the new mascot for the Sox - but he could not elaborate on what the mascot is. I do know it will pay him a cool $60,000 a year if he gets it.

Another interesting note - this same guy just recently tried out for the Bears new mascot - Staley. Apparently, the guy originally hired for the job quit, and he took the schedule with him.

Can't we even do mascots right in Chicago??? :D:

A.T. Money
10-22-2003, 03:39 PM
A mascot would be sweet.

34 Inch Stick
10-22-2003, 03:57 PM
Say hello to Stinky, the new Sox mascot. After the 7th inning stretch he will race against athelete's foot and toe cheese in a race sponsored by Kraft.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-22-2003, 04:00 PM
I'm betting right now, inside a wedding reception banquet hall somewhere in Chicago, Joe Stephen is practicing his schtick for his Sox audition.

:)

:R&R
"We're getting out of the auto-detailing business and submitting our resume, too!"

ScottyTheSoxFan
10-22-2003, 04:08 PM
i just hope it isnt stupid. maybe a fat rat named jerry ratsdorf

dllrbll7
10-22-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by IronFisk

Another interesting note - this same guy just recently tried out for the Bears new mascot - Staley. Apparently, the guy originally hired for the job quit, and he took the schedule with him.

:D:

The original Staley got fired for unknown reasons to him. It was very sudden and had no warning. He definately didnt quit though

woodenleg
10-22-2003, 04:38 PM
What on earth will it be?

The last thing we need is a cheesy mascot.

kittle42
10-22-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by woodenleg

D.P., the Rally-Killing Monkey

thepaulbowski
10-22-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by kittle42

Nickname "Paulie"

PaleHoseGeorge
10-22-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by kittle42

LOL! Good one!!! :D:

:KW
"Hey Paulie, remember when you signed that fat contract and you said you weren't this good? Well we've got a new job for you..."

:walnuts
<gulp>

MarqSox
10-22-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by IronFisk
Can't we even do mascots right in Chicago??? :D:
Let's hope not. Benny the Bull is a quaint attraction for the corporate crowd at that game, but otherwise, Chicago really isn't a mascot town. Didn't we learn anything from Ribbie and Roobarb??

voodoochile
10-22-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan

HAHAHAHA! Great image. I can see his eyes and glasses peaking out over the big fake rat nose...

POTW (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=13)

MRKARNO
10-22-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Let's hope not. Benny the Bull is a quaint attraction for the corporate crowd at that game, but otherwise, Chicago really isn't a mascot town. Didn't we learn anything from Ribbie and Roobarb??

I am not a mascot fan and I'm kind of proud of our lack of mascots. Benny the bull is stupid IMHO

woodenleg
10-22-2003, 05:03 PM
http://members.aol.com/puppetfx/hillbilly.JPG
I think it's time we had an offensive mascot, just like the Notre Dame leprechaun

Foulke You
10-22-2003, 05:05 PM
I think a mascot is a bad idea. The money would be better spent elsewhere. Nobody is going to go to the game to see a mascot and most of the time they are lame. Knowing the Sox marketing dept, it is probably going to be really bad. The Blackhawks have tried a new mascot named "Tommy Hawk" and let me tell you, it is quite pathetic to see this brown bird in a Blackhawks jersey walk around the lifeless United Center to indifferent Blackhawks fans. Sox fans strike me as the type that will ignore a mascot. I am shuddering at the thought of what the White Sox have planned for us. Perhaps they'll resurrect the dugout dancers so the mascot has something to do? (shudders)

Here is a thought, scrap the mascot idea and sink the $60,000 into marketing your season ticket packages or putting the retired numbers up on the outfield gridwork where they belong.

A.T. Money
10-22-2003, 05:08 PM

LMAO! That was funny.

washington
10-22-2003, 05:16 PM
Kind of scary if the White Sox marketing "braintrust" is wasting its time planning for a mascot. Was Waldo the White Sox Wolf an actual mascot?

Foulke You
10-22-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by washington
Kind of scary if the White Sox marketing "braintrust" is wasting its time planning for a mascot. Was Waldo the White Sox Wolf an actual mascot?

I am pretty sure he was only the mascot of the "Silver and Black Pack" which was the White Sox kids fanclub that they ran for a while in the '90s.

cheeses_h_rice
10-22-2003, 05:19 PM
Oh boy.

I think mascots in general are verrry lame, though "human mascots" like blabbermouth Joe Stephen are 10x lamer.

Let's hope the Sox can do this in a non-embarrassing fashion, which to be honest is probably a 1 in 3 shot.

Guess I'd take Dancin' Homer, though.

Procol Harum
10-22-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

Guess I'd take Dancin' Homer, though.

Geez, the media would never be able to pick him out of the crowd--they'd think Homer J. Simpson was the typical Sox fan.

npdempse
10-22-2003, 05:37 PM
I'm down with mascots. I know, I'm mentally deficient or something, but good mascots--guys who actually have some decent improv skills and clown training--can amuse the hell out of me.

I think mascots could really appeal to folks who were kids in the 70s and 80s, who watched that freaking chicken on TWIB every week, and now have kids of their own to bring to the park.

Eddie Gaedel
10-22-2003, 05:40 PM
it's perfect!
http://www.imcmascots.com/images/gallery/inflat5.jpg

eriqjaffe
10-22-2003, 05:41 PM
Meh.

They'll probably spend more on a mascot than on FA's.

washington
10-22-2003, 05:42 PM
Was Joe Stephen that heavy guy who stood on the dugout with a microphone during games? How embarrassing was that.

cheeses_h_rice
10-22-2003, 05:44 PM
Was Joe Stephen that heavy guy who stood on the dugout with a microphone during games? How embarrassing was that.

Remember his lame contests between innings for the crowd to cheer for its favorite song of the 3 selections? (The reality was, no one in the audience cared.)

And the "grabbing for dollars" stunt out in Center Field?

Whatever year that was ('98 or '99), that was a lowpoint for me as a Sox fan.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-22-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Remember his lame contests between innings for the crowd to cheer for its favorite song of the 3 selections? (The reality was, no one in the audience cared.)

And the "grabbing for dollars" stunt out in Center Field?

Whatever year that was ('98 or '99), that was a lowpoint for me as a Sox fan.

Here's a thought. Why not do a tongue-in-cheek tribute to Disco Demolition Night by inviting back Steve Dahl to do a Mascot Demolition Night.

You could start with Waldo Wolf's happy meal, then Ribbie & Roobarb's trike, then add Andy the Clown's light up nose, and then -- for the big finale -- toss Joe Stephen into the flaming "Grab for Cash" booth out in center field. Co-ho! Co-ho! Co-ho!

Somebody call Dahl! :cool:

Ah, dreams...

washington
10-22-2003, 06:07 PM
Yeah, fans "voted" on a song and then they'd play the "winner" for about 20 seconds. My guess was that was the longest they could play a song without having to pay a royalty. I have nothing but bad ballpark memories from that season...

Viva Magglio
10-22-2003, 06:19 PM
If the Sox come out with a mascot, I wonder if they'll have it compete in Loyola's "Battle of the Mascots" which is an annual scrimmage between the mascots during halftime.

DirtySouthsider
10-22-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox

I'm afraid that Reinsdorf learned everything his knows from Ribbie and Roobarb!

duke of dorwood
10-22-2003, 08:13 PM
I heard there were 2-a female called save, and a male called blown save

Brian26
10-22-2003, 08:33 PM
Can we scrap the $60k/year mascot idea and hire some more hot-ass waitresses? It took me half an hour to get a beverage in the Bullpen Bar last year.

Dan1972
10-22-2003, 09:04 PM
How about hiring a female mascot from the newly opened scores Chicago? Use the fair pole like a stripper pole!

VeeckAsInWreck
10-22-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Dan1972
How about hiring a female mascot from the newly opened scores Chicago? Use the fair pole like a stripper pole!

:reinsy
"Excellent idea, we can also have a $30 cover charge like at the Admiral Theat......uh, I've never been to one of those places, how much do they charge?"

ihatethecubs
10-22-2003, 09:17 PM
i really dont want an annoying mascot. why does rob gallas think we like loud stupid music being played at every opportunity, 7 races on the scoreboard every game, and now an obnoxious foam character running around on the dugouts? does he really think stupid b.s. like this gets more people to show up at games?

GoSox2K3
10-22-2003, 09:17 PM
The Tribune Co. must be laughing their asses off about this.

The Trib has spent 20 years perfecting the marketing of their team. Meanwhile, on the South Side, Jerry & Co. think they'll appeal to fans with such things as plastic blue seats, the Fan-O-Meter, Canned Music & Sound effects, and - the piece de resistance - A MASCOT.

If I were the Cubs I'd be quaking in my boots at this stroke of White Sox marketing genius.

TornLabrum
10-22-2003, 09:21 PM

Not as embarrassing as the photo of himself he had on his website: Stainding in a Sox jersey with his pants around his ankles, wearing boxers.

TornLabrum
10-22-2003, 09:22 PM
Yeah, fans "voted" on a song and then they'd play the "winner" for about 20 seconds. My guess was that was the longest they could play a song without having to pay a royalty. I have nothing but bad ballpark memories from that season...

BINGO! Both BMI and ASCAP have a 20-second limit (notice that radio bumpers always last that long) in which any song can be played without paying a royalty.

TornLabrum
10-22-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
The Tribune Co. must be laughing their asses off about this.

The Trib has spent 20 years perfecting the marketing of their team. Meanwhile, on the South Side, Jerry & Co. think they'll appeal to fans with such things as plastic blue seats, the Fan-O-Meter, Canned Music & Sound effects, and - the piece de resistance - A MASCOT.

If I were the Cubs I'd be quaking in my boots at this stroke of White Sox marketing genius.

The purpose of the mascot is to keep distract us from the fact that the team will be gutted over the winter.

What the Sox should do is hire Ozzie Guillen as manager. Then they have two choices: give him double duty as manager/mascot or hire Ozzie T. Cougar from the Kane County Cougars to engage in between-innings hijinks with the new manager.

batmanZoSo
10-22-2003, 09:28 PM
Cheeses_H_Rice,

Isn't that the name of some food product in a squeeze tube that homer bought when he was purposely gaining 61 pounds to get on disability? It's gotta be some parody on something, but I don't know what and I usually get them.

batmanZoSo
10-22-2003, 09:30 PM
PaleHoseGeorge,

That PK picture and caption is effin hilarious. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA.. thank you.

batmanZoSo
10-22-2003, 09:32 PM
AT_Money,

Where did you get that Choke logo? I know someone who made one....

cheeses_h_rice
10-22-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Cheeses_H_Rice,

Isn't that the name of some food product in a squeeze tube that homer bought when he was purposely gaining 61 pounds to get on disability? It's gotta be some parody on something, but I don't know what and I usually get them.

Wow, very impressive -- you're the first person to know this.

According to alt.tv.simpsons, Homer bought the following foods during this episode:

- HAM AHOY
- MUCH ADO ABOUT STUFFING
- AMNBF (below Stuffing)
- CHEEZUS H. RICE
- TUBBB!
- UNCLE JIM'S COUNTRY FILLIN'
- Just squeeze 'n' swallow

So, you can see that I spelled the name wrong -- I was going off memory at the time (May or June 2000), and it's not like I thought I'd be using this name for 3+ years.

batmanZoSo
10-22-2003, 09:58 PM
Ye-es! Much ado about stuffing hahhahahaha....

It's amazing how fleeting those products moments on the Simpsons were, yet I recognize all of them.

I've known it for quite some time, just never asked you about it. You post at whitesox.com too, or used to. It's remarkable no one ever asked you what your name means. I think it's weird, and I KNOW where it's from.

But do you know where they got the actual name from? Isn't it supposed to be Jeezus or Jesus H Rice or something? It bugs me when I don't get their little spoofs and such.

cheeses_h_rice
10-22-2003, 10:01 PM
Ye-es! Much ado about stuffing hahhahahaha....

It's amazing how fleeting those products moments on the Simpsons were, yet I recognize all of them.

I've known it for quite some time, just never asked you about it. You post at whitesox.com too, or used to. It's remarkable no one ever asked you what your name means. I think it's weird, and I KNOW where it's from.

But do you know where they got the actual name from? Isn't it supposed to be Jeezus or Jesus H Rice or something? It bugs me when I don't get their little spoofs and such.

I post on Whitesox.com rarely, usually to bash Flub trolls, which I've been doing a fair bit of lately (well, not so much since October 15...) :smile:

The product name is similar to Jesus H. Christ, nothing deeper than that. I remember immediately cracking up when I saw that episode the first time.

WinningUgly!
10-22-2003, 10:49 PM
maybe a fat rat named jerry ratsdorf

Me likey.

Shoeless Joe
10-23-2003, 12:18 AM
Nice one WinningUgly! Ratsdorf bears a striking resemblance to Chucky Cheese.

However, I think we should keep with the theme of the team. Something like "Cotton The White Stocking". I'm sure one the sock companies would endorse their socks by pumping some more money into U.S. Cellular Field.

WhiteSox = Life
10-23-2003, 12:43 AM
Jerry Rat$dorf looks like he just finshed giving the Nazi salute.

batmanZoSo
10-23-2003, 12:46 AM
I guess I never heard that expression before. And I'm very disappointed. I thought knowing the meaning of the joke would change my life.

You'll want to focus on the neglected food groups. The whipped group, the congealed group and the choco-tatsic.

Instead of chewing gum, chew bacon. Instead of making sandwiches with bread, use pop tarts.

...You can brush your teeth with milkshakes.

Heeey, did you go to Hollywood Upstairs Medical College too?

bc2k
10-23-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by ihatethecubs
i really dont want an annoying mascot. why does rob gallas think we like loud stupid music being played at every opportunity, 7 races on the scoreboard every game, and now an obnoxious foam character running around on the dugouts? does he really think stupid b.s. like this gets more people to show up at games?

I can't envision any instance where I'd enjoy any mascot. This is a disaster waiting to happen.

On second thought, Pee Wee Herman doing a dance on the Sox dugout on tip toes would be quite enjoyable.

santo=dorf
10-23-2003, 10:34 AM
What the hell ever happened to Willy the Wolf? Wasn't he a mascot for us in the mid 90's?

A.T. Money
10-23-2003, 10:58 AM
AT_Money,

Where did you get that Choke logo? I know someone who made one....

Someone on this board made it.

santo=dorf
10-23-2003, 11:15 AM
Why don't we make Wally Backman walk through the crowd and scream at people not making any noise when the fan-o-meter comes up?

nut_stock
10-23-2003, 11:12 PM
get some young & attractive females to slingshot free t-shirts in to the crowd and call them the "Soxy Ladies"

voodoochile
10-23-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by nut_stock
get some young & attractive females to slingshot free t-shirts in to the crowd and call them the "Soxy Ladies"

"So, we'd be paying more than one mascot? These... er... soxy ladies come in a group if I understand you? That's starting to get up there in terms of cost. I am trying to do this on the cheap. Then on top of it, you want them to give away t-shirts. Free? How do I make money on this deal? Rob? What do you think?"

:gallas
"I've got an idea. We'll get a dog, and dress him in Elvis rheinstones. He'll catch frisbees between innings. People love dogs and Elvis."

"I was just humming 'Hound Dog' in my head while you were talking, Rob. It must be fate..."

CLR01
10-24-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by woodenleg

All mascots are chessy.

CLR01
10-24-2003, 12:56 AM

The Cardnials do that. They are much more enjoyable than that lame red bird.

Pete Ward
10-24-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Say hello to Stinky, the new Sox mascot. After the 7th inning stretch he will race against athelete's foot and toe cheese in a race sponsored by Kraft.

I just read this ... I almost spit coffe out my nose. LMAO
:R&R

Hangar18
10-24-2003, 10:44 AM

Whoah.....Your onto something here, GREAT IDEA

Dadawg_77
10-24-2003, 10:47 AM
Like the Standford Tree, the Sox should get someone to dress up as a Sock.

Hangar18
10-24-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Like the Standford Tree, the Sox should get someone to dress up as a Sock.

Or do the Chili Pepper thing and have people just
wearing Socks ....... wait, I dont like that idea after all

ScottyTheSoxFan
10-24-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Me likey.

i love the jerry ratsdorf picture. we should actually create the mouse and have him walk around the park, possibly picking a fight with whatever mascot gallas thinks up.