PDA

View Full Version : Randolph in mix

CHISOXFAN13
10-22-2003, 01:52 PM
PER the Score update wth Offman, the Sox will also be interviewing Yankees third base coach Willie Randolph following the WS.

fledgedrallycap
10-22-2003, 02:31 PM
I've been speculating that one for quite a while. I actually have a feeling he will be wearing White Sox pinstrips come April.

34 Inch Stick
10-22-2003, 02:48 PM
I would have had Randolph at the top of my list if I were Kenny. He has turned down jobs in the past. I don't know why he would be interested in this one. Torre will not be around forever and I would think he would be a top candidate for the Yankees.

Hokiesox
10-22-2003, 02:56 PM
IF this were true, I'd amend my preferred list.

right now it's:

1) Gaston/Guillen
2) the one that isn't my first choice at any given moment
3) anyone but JM.

The problem with Gaston is he seems to be more laid back than JM, according to the Cubune. Guillen is fiery, but unproven.

I could really go with either one, but hearing that the man KW wants Gaston, I'll go with Gaston.

RANDOLPH would be GREAT! seems doubtful though.

RichH55
10-22-2003, 03:17 PM
I think I have it Dierker/Willie

With Ozzie on the next tier with Hargrove

chosk8
10-22-2003, 03:49 PM
This is purely second hand info, so take it for what it's worth....

A friend of mine was able to score game 6 &7 tickets to the Marlins/cubs game last week. He got the tickets through Tim Spooneybarger. His roommates sister is neighbors with Spooneybarger and is best friends with Tim's wife. They all went out after one of the games and started talking about the Marlins and specifically Ozzie Guillen's name came up. Spooneybarger's wife says that the majority of the Marlins "can't stand" Guillen. She says they all think of him as nothing more than a clubhouse clown that knows little about baseball.

I know this sounds very typical of gossip (my roommates sister's boyfriend's uncle said that...), but I don't want to just brush it off. My source is a Cubs fan, but knows I'm a huge Sox fan and, believe it or not, he's actually pretty baseball smart for a cubs fan. He knew I would be very interested in what was being said about what may be our future manager and wanted to make sure he heard her correctly. Again, this is second hand info

MRKARNO
10-22-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
PER the Score update wth Offman, the Sox will also be interviewing Yankees third base coach Willie Randolph following the WS.

Maybe he's starting to suffer under the Don Zimmer syndrome (not being treated by a human by steinbrenner) and is ready for a change

Hokiesox
10-22-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by chosk8
This is purely second hand info, so take it for what it's worth....

A friend of mine was able to score game 6 &7 tickets to the Marlins/cubs game last week. He got the tickets through Tim Spooneybarger. His roommates sister is neighbors with Spooneybarger and is best friends with Tim's wife. They all went out after one of the games and started talking about the Marlins and specifically Ozzie Guillen's name came up. Spooneybarger's wife says that the majority of the Marlins "can't stand" Guillen. She says they all think of him as nothing more than a clubhouse clown that knows little about baseball.

I know this sounds very typical of gossip (my roommates sister's boyfriend's uncle said that...), but I don't want to just brush it off. My source is a Cubs fan, but knows I'm a huge Sox fan and, believe it or not, he's actually pretty baseball smart for a cubs fan. He knew I would be very interested in what was being said about what may be our future manager and wanted to make sure he heard her correctly. Again, this is second hand info

...my sister's friend's cousin's uncle told me Guillen was a sure thing too!

poorme
10-22-2003, 04:40 PM
How could someone who's been in professional baseball since age 16, in the majors 16 years, coached for 3 years, and played/coached under Tony LaRussa, Jim Fregosi, Jeff Torborg, Jack McKeon, and Bobby Cox know "little about baseball." It just doesn't make sense.

thepaulbowski
10-22-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Maybe he's starting to suffer under the Don Zimmer syndrome (not being treated by a human by steinbrenner) and is ready for a change

Willie, supposively, has been close to getting a few other jobs. I would be REALLY happy to have Willie Randolph as our new manager. A guy who knows how to win. (BTW, IMO, I always believed Randoph never got enough respect while he played)

It makes me giggle with glee to even think about it :D:

34 Inch Stick
10-22-2003, 04:53 PM
Just like I studied under some great Latin teachers and still only got D's. Quid est problemata 34?

chosk8
10-22-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
...my sister's friend's cousin's uncle told me Guillen was a sure thing too!

Originally posted by poorme
How could someone who's been in professional baseball since age 16, in the majors 16 years, coached for 3 years, and played/coached under Tony LaRussa, Jim Fregosi, Jeff Torborg, Jack McKeon, and Bobby Cox know "little about baseball." It just doesn't make sense.

Like I said, this was second hand info, so take it for what it's worth, which probably isn't much. Just sharing what I was told.

john2499
10-22-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by poorme

Good point. The man knew how to play. So, you could assume he knows the game. He was a "grinder". Isn't that what K.W. wants ? Besides, maybe she is just pissed because he didn't sign an autograph or something.

jortafan
10-22-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I would have had Randolph at the top of my list if I were Kenny. He has turned down jobs in the past. I don't know why he would be interested in this one. Torre will not be around forever and I would think he would be a top candidate for the Yankees.

He only "turned down" one shot, in Cincinnati, and that so-called job offer had so many conditions attached to it that Randolph would have been a fool to take the job.

Also, my understanding of the Yankees situation is that both first base coach Lee Mazzilli and AAA manager Bucky Dent are ahead of Randolph in the pecking order for Torre replacements.

StepsInSC
10-22-2003, 06:22 PM
Is Jose Canseco available for a coaching job?

Daver
10-22-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
Is Jose Canseco available for a coaching job?

I think he has to wait another four months to be off of house arrest.

Nick@Nite
10-22-2003, 07:31 PM
I'd prefer seemingly level headed Willie Randolph to the supposed over-the-top rah-rah way of Ozzie Guillen.

chosk8
10-23-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Nick@Nite
I'd prefer seemingly level headed Willie Randolph to the supposed over-the-top rah-rah way of Ozzie Guillen.

That's why I mentioned the 'alleged' comments by Spooneybarger. Are guys on this team gonna be able to differentiate between his joking and seriousness. Like someone mentioned before, Guillen has coached and played under some very good managers, so I would have to think the guy has to have some baseball smarts. However, I think Randolph would command more respect in the Sox clubhouse.