PDA

View Full Version : Slow Swing Back on the Market

hold2dibber
10-22-2003, 10:03 AM
The A's declined Singleton's option, making him a free agent. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1643615) The deified Billy Beane paid Singleton $1.4 mm last year - he could have used that money to sign David Ortiz, which in turn would have allowed him to not trade some pretty good prospects to land the mediocre (at best) Erubio Durazal (sp?). Oh, wait, I'm sorry, Beane is a genius and can do no wrong.

poorme
10-22-2003, 10:16 AM
The way Singleton hits, you could have put Oritz in center and still been better off.

Randar68
10-22-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by poorme
The way Singleton hits, you could have put Oritz in center and still been better off.

He's a better hitter than Aaron Rowand, and his defense is light-years better.

As much as he bothered me when he played here, I'm tired of Rowand/Everett/Harris in CF.

I'll take Singleton back every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

poorme
10-22-2003, 11:21 AM
Why would you say Singleton is a better hitter than Rowand?

They're both equally pathetic.

GregoryEtc
10-22-2003, 11:27 AM
I think he should have been named Popup-pleton.

Randar68
10-22-2003, 11:32 AM
Why would you say Singleton is a better hitter than Rowand?

They're both equally pathetic.

Aaron Rowand has never hit .300 on any level for a full season. Singleton did it in the majors.

I don't care if Singleton hits .260, but we need a rangy CF'er between Lee and Maggs, both of whom are not that mobile.

poorme
10-22-2003, 11:35 AM
Rowand actually has a higher career OPS, although that's not saying much.

Randar68
10-22-2003, 11:37 AM
Rowand actually has a higher career OPS, although that's not saying much.

I'll give that up for maybe the best CF arm in the AL and some excellent defense.

I wouldn't be opposed to platooning Singleton and Rowand, as Chris hits RH much better than left and Aaron hits lefties better.

dickallen15
10-22-2003, 11:39 AM
Singleton's defense has been in a steady decline the last 2 seasons.

Randar68
10-22-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by dickallen15
Singleton's defense has been in a steady decline the last 2 seasons.

And it still beats the living crap out of midget-wall-banger-no-footwork Rowand.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-22-2003, 11:45 AM
Interesting question: Do you choose Aaron Rowand as the fourth outfielder or Chris Singleton?

I'm of the opinion that defense is more important in a fourth outfielder than a good stick. Fourth outfielders get most of their playing time late in the game trying to protect leads. I would pick Singleton in a heartbeat.

As for everyday outfielders, God help us if we rely on either of them. We have better guys in LF and RF than Rowand, and either Singleton or Crash would be a disaster playing everyday in CF.

hold2dibber
10-22-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Interesting question: Do you choose Aaron Rowand as the fourth outfielder or Chris Singleton?

Depends on who your starters are. If you're the Seattle Mariners, I'd take Rowand who I view as a better hitter than Singleton, because their top 3 outfielders are so good defensively. If you're the White Sox, with Maggs in RF and Lee in LF, I'd be inclined to go with the defensive upgrade of Singleton as my 4th outfielder, regardless of who the starting CF is.

poorme
10-22-2003, 12:03 PM

Rowand would be a good fourth outfielder if he could hit a little more. He had good numbers the second half of the year. I'd give him one more chance to show something.

I'd want 2 reserve OF'ers. One who could hit a little and play for an extended time if someone gets hurt. The other guy solely for defense and pinch running.

ChiSox14305635
10-22-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
The A's declined Singleton's option, making him a free agent. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1643615) The deified Billy Beane paid Singleton $1.4 mm last year - he could have used that money to sign David Ortiz, which in turn would have allowed him to not trade some pretty good prospects to land the mediocre (at best) Erubio Durazal (sp?). Oh, wait, I'm sorry, Beane is a genius and can do no wrong.

And now Beane could be headed south to be the GM of the Dodgers and replace Dan Evans, so now the A's are really left holding the bag.

cheeses_h_rice
10-22-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
And now Beane could be headed south to be the GM of the Dodgers and replace Dan Evans, so now the A's are really left holding the bag.

Where did you read this?

Dadawg_77
10-22-2003, 12:32 PM

Durazo had a higher OBP then Ortiz, .374 to .369. Durazo has always been a player Beane wanted and is better then mediocre. And Ortiz had a career year this year.

And not sure how much Jason Arnold is worth, there was only one prospect there.

Traded for 1B-L Erubiel Durazo (from the Snakes, in the four-team deal where they sent cash to the Diamondbacks and RHP Jason Arnold to the Blue Jays),

ChiSox14305635
10-22-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Where did you read this?

There are numerous reports that Billy Beane is a done deal in Los Angeles, but while it is a possibility in time, there is no contact between new owner Frank McCourt and Beane at the present. Dodger fans should be excited about the McCourt deal after years of the O'Malley family running one of baseball's three jeweled franchises like a family compound, then the present owners essentially running it with benign neglect. That the Dodgers are a middle-tier franchise in terms of revenue is an outrage.

Of course, this was written by Peter Gammons, so take this with a grain of salt.

Gammons article (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1641677)

maurice
10-22-2003, 02:16 PM
Singleton's got a strong glove and a weak bat. His adequate .818 OPS during his 1999 rookie campaign was a surprise and an aberation, which followed six mediocre minor league seasons.

From a skills standpoint, he's a decent 4th OF. However, I really doubt that he's coming back here. IIRC, he got traded because he wouldn't stop whinning after being demoted to a bench role (in addition to his active union participation). See also Liefer, Jeff. KW's most recent interview indicates that he's not likely to bring in another OF, since the Sox have "a number of options at that position."

Randar68
10-22-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Singleton's got a strong glove and a weak bat. His adequate .818 OPS during his 1999 rookie campaign was a surprise and an aberation, which followed six mediocre minor league seasons.

From a skills standpoint, he's a decent 4th OF. However, I really doubt that he's coming back here. IIRC, he got traded because he wouldn't stop whinning after being demoted to a bench role (in addition to his active union participation). See also Liefer, Jeff. KW's most recent interview indicates that he's not likely to bring in another OF, since the Sox have "a number of options at that position."

Not disagreeing, but here are Singleton and Rowands 3-year splits against L/R handed pitchers:

Singleton:
vs. LHP: 160 AB, .219 Avg, .298 OBP, .344 SLG%, .642 OPS
vs. RHP: 10004 AB, .278 Avg, .311 OBP, .407 SLG%, .718 OPS

Rowand:
vs. LHP: 218 AB, .298 Avg, .356 OBP, .463 SLG%, .819 OPS
vs. RHP: 364 AB, .258 Avg, .307 OBP, .390 SLG%, .697 OPS

They seem like the perfect platoon partners. Sign Singleton to a 1 or 2 year deal and platoon him. Next year, you can dump either he or Rowand to make room for Reed. Otherwise, I'm inclined to just play Reed this year.

maurice
10-22-2003, 02:49 PM
I agree that Reed should get a shot at CF, assuming his bat stays hot. However, in his latest interview, KW seemed to be advocating a Harris / Rowand competition or platoon in CF, assuming that Alomar returns at 2B. Reed and Borchard were not mentioned, though a return of Everret and a new CF were essentially ruled out.

AsInWreck
10-22-2003, 02:59 PM

OPS is a mathematically invalid statitistic. OBP is based on a scale of .000 to 1.000 and slugging is based on a scale of .000 to 4.000. Adding them together to produce a stat is like saying 1/4 plus 1/16 = 2/4

maurice
10-22-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by AsInWreck
OPS is a mathematically invalid statitistic.

OPS doesn't purport to measure anything mathematically. It's just an extremely crude, easy to compute, and relatively accurate estimate of a player's hitting ability. A player with a .900 OPS pretty much always is a significantly better hitter than a player with a .700 OPS.

In any event, what does this have to do with the fact that Singleton has little power and can't take a walk?

hold2dibber
10-22-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Durazo had a higher OBP then Ortiz, .374 to .369. Durazo has always been a player Beane wanted and is better then mediocre. And Ortiz had a career year this year.

And not sure how much Jason Arnold is worth, there was only one prospect there.

Traded for 1B-L Erubiel Durazo (from the Snakes, in the four-team deal where they sent cash to the Diamondbacks and RHP Jason Arnold to the Blue Jays),

My bad - I could have sworn the A's traded 2 players to get Durazo (John Ford Griffin, or something like that). And I'm not sure how you can conclud that Durazo is better than mediocre. '03 was the first year in his career where he was a regular (his previous high was 222 ABs) and he was, by just about any measure, mediocre (.259 avg, 21 HRs, 77 RBIs, .374 OBP and .430 slg). In any event, my point was that Beane is not infallible. The Singleton signing didn't make any sense and was wasted money for a team that desperately needed more offense.

AsInWreck
10-22-2003, 03:26 PM
OPS doesn't purport to measure anything mathematically. It's just an extremely crude, easy to compute, and relatively accurate estimate of a player's hitting ability. A player with a .900 OPS pretty much always is a significantly better hitter than a player with a .700 OPS.

In any event, what does this have to do with the fact that Singleton has little power and can't take a walk?

True, but a .900 ops hitter can also be much better than another .900 ops hitter, so it really doesn't say anything. It could even be possible for a .900 ops to better than a .950 ops hitter. I'd rather have a hitter w/ a .600 obp and a .300 slugging than a .400 obp w/ a .550 slugging. .050 of slugging percentage does not equal .050 ob% so its a meaningless stat. Also, OB% is also overrated as a stat because it implies a walk is as good as a hit which is a myth. A hit is always as good as a walk, but a walk is only as good as a hit in certain situations.

maurice
10-22-2003, 03:43 PM
True, but a .900 ops hitter can also be much better than another .900 ops hitter, so it really doesn't say anything.

Well, your overstating your case a bit here. This example may be correct and explains why OPS is a crude measure, but it doesn't explain why OPS never can be used as a rough estimate when a more comprehensive analysis is not called for. Your extreme example really is inapposite, since it doesn't resemble the normal ranges applicable to the vast majority of players. We're not comparing Singleton's hitting ability to a hypothetical player with an extremely unlikely .600 OBP / .300 SLG. We're comparing him to Aaron Rowand.

If you're interested, the value of OPS, OBP, and AVE have been debated at length elsewhere on this board. IMHO, the most valid criticism of OPS is that it doesn't account for baserunning and GiDP, but I'm not a SABR guy. Where's Kermit?

34 Inch Stick
10-22-2003, 03:54 PM
'03 was the first year in his career where he was a regular (his previous high was 222 ABs) and he was, by just about any measure, mediocre (.259 avg, 21 HRs, 77 RBIs, .374 OBP and .430 slg).

Some organizations would give that guy 6 million a year for that production.

MisterB
10-22-2003, 04:05 PM
Just to throw a new wrinkle into this discussion, I've just heard that the Giants declined their option on Jose Cruz, Jr.

AsInWreck
10-22-2003, 04:06 PM

Statistics by definition measure things mathematically. Therefore if the mathematics are invalid, a statistic is invalid.
.050 of slugging percentage does not equal .050 ob% so its an inaccurate stat.

RichH55
10-22-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Aaron Rowand has never hit .300 on any level for a full season. Singleton did it in the majors.

I don't care if Singleton hits .260, but we need a rangy CF'er between Lee and Maggs, both of whom are not that mobile.

So are Mike Caruso and Rey Sanchez better hitters too?

I'm with you that Singleton is the better fielder...but that doesnt make him the better hitter...especially now...when was his fluke year? 3 years ago or so?

RichH55
10-22-2003, 04:13 PM

I'm of the opinion that defense is more important in a fourth outfielder than a good stick. Fourth outfielders get most of their playing time late in the game trying to protect leads. I would pick Singleton in a heartbeat.

As for everyday outfielders, God help us if we rely on either of them. We have better guys in LF and RF than Rowand, and either Singleton or Crash would be a disaster playing everyday in CF.

I take Singelton...assuming the same money

I don't think Singleton is worth paying an extra 750 K to be better at not playing that often

Dadawg_77
10-22-2003, 04:13 PM

If you're interested, the value of OPS, OBP, and AVE have been debated at length elsewhere on this board. IMHO, the most valid criticism of OPS is that it doesn't account for baserunning and GiDP, but I'm not a SABR guy. Where's Kermit?

EQA can help you there. OPS is nice easy stat, which Team OPS has a better coefficient rate to Team Runs scored then Avg, OBP, Slg.

RichH55
10-22-2003, 04:16 PM
I think a better question is who is worse: Singleton or Terrence Long?

Dadawg_77
10-22-2003, 04:16 PM
Statistics by definition measure things mathematically. Therefore if the mathematics are invalid, a statistic is invalid.
.050 of slugging percentage does not equal .050 ob% so its an inaccurate stat.

While you can play with the formula, like the moneyball version OBP*3+SLG or what I have seen out there OBP*1.8+Slg, to get a better idea. The theory behind OPS, that OBP and SLG are key output for offensive productivity it correct and together do a better job of explaining what is going on.

Randar68
10-22-2003, 04:33 PM

Nothing, except for the scary part about Singleton's unwalkability being significantly better than Rowand's Caveman-like strike-zone judgement.

Randar68
10-22-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
So are Mike Caruso and Rey Sanchez better hitters too?

I'm with you that Singleton is the better fielder...but that doesnt make him the better hitter...especially now...when was his fluke year? 3 years ago or so?

His "fluke" season was his first. 5 or 6 years ago, IIRC. Look at my post on their 3-year splits. In over 1000 AB's against RHP's, it's plainly obvious that while Singleton rarely takes a walk, he can hit pretty well. Lefties are another situation all together, but it is similar inversely for Rowand. Thus, it would make a great platoon pair.

Randar68
10-22-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
While you can play with the formula, like the moneyball version OBP*3+SLG or what I have seen out there OBP*1.8+Slg, to get a better idea. The theory behind OPS, that OBP and SLG are key output for offensive productivity it correct and together do a better job of explaining what is going on.

I agree. Personally, I think it's hard to gauge on a stat of this nature. Sluggers will many times be pitched around or intentionally walked, which artificially raises their OBP (with an already high SLG%). However, who can argue that a guy who can hit .330 with a .450 OBP and only a .400 SLG% is better than 99% of all other players with an .850 OPS???

There must be some additional consideration given to OBP. I think 3*OBP is too much, and myself, prefer something in the 1.5->2.0 range for the multiplier.

thepaulbowski
10-22-2003, 05:01 PM
Please God, no Chris Singleton. There seems to be an obsession with some who always want to bring back former players (Fordyce, Singleton, Mark Johnson, Liefer, Biddle, etc.) For the most part there is a reason many of them are no longer with the Sox, they are marginal players at best. The Sox dont need any more marginal, platoon type players. The Sox need good players!

Randar68
10-22-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
Please God, no Chris Singleton. There seems to be an obsession with some who always want to bring back former players (Fordyce, Singleton, Mark Johnson, Liefer, Biddle, etc.) For the most part there is a reason many of them are no longer with the Sox, they are marginal players at best. The Sox dont need any more marginal, platoon type players. The Sox need good players!

Yeah, good luck on that with 14 million to Maggs, possibly 13.3 million to Colon, 6 or 7 million to Frank, 8 million to Konerko, and 3-5 million each to Lee and Buehrle...

maurice
10-22-2003, 05:23 PM
Statistics by definition measure things mathematically.

Therefore, OPS not a "statistic." It's just a somewhat useful figure derived from two other statistics. So what?

hold2dibber
10-22-2003, 05:33 PM
Yeah, good luck on that with 14 million to Maggs, possibly 13.3 million to Colon, 6 or 7 million to Frank, 8 million to Konerko, and 3-5 million each to Lee and Buehrle...

Don't forget the $6.35 million to Koch! :angry:

Randar68
10-22-2003, 05:45 PM
Don't forget the $6.35 million to Koch! :angry:

Ughhhh... Good thing Jerry owns a patent on the money tree!

poorme
10-22-2003, 05:52 PM
Both Singleton and Rowand had 6 win shares if you like that "formula."

Rowand did it in half the AB's.

Lip Man 1
10-22-2003, 07:41 PM
I'd take Singleton for three reasons...

1. He works cheap
2. He has some speed
3. He can play defense better then Rowand and Harris.

Lip

ode to veeck
10-22-2003, 09:59 PM
Rowand would be a good fourth outfielder if he could hit a little more. He had good numbers the second half of the year. I'd give him one more chance to show something.

Who knows, even his field might improve too ;-) seriosly though, I like the way he hit in 2nd half, enough to give him another shot

but seriously, Slow Swing's a pathetic guy a the plate and likely slowingdown in the OF as well (in spite of his one flash in the pan season at the plate some years back, he still never talks a walk)

RichH55
10-22-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I'd take Singleton for three reasons...

1. He works cheap
2. He has some speed
3. He can play defense better then Rowand and Harris.

Lip

1.4 million last year? Not exactly cheap for a spare part/4th OF type

RichH55
10-22-2003, 10:29 PM
His "fluke" season was his first. 5 or 6 years ago, IIRC. Look at my post on their 3-year splits. In over 1000 AB's against RHP's, it's plainly obvious that while Singleton rarely takes a walk, he can hit pretty well. Lefties are another situation all together, but it is similar inversely for Rowand. Thus, it would make a great platoon pair.

Whats that they say about having two starting QBs, then you have none?

Having two mediocre CF isn't exactly knocking my socks off....You know why each looks better from the one side of the plate?

Because they have set the bar lower than for a midget seeing how low he can go

Well I agree they would make a decent platoon pair(though I dont want to see Chris getting a majority of the AB which is likely would happen, and cost is another issue as well)...Saying they are a "great" platoon? Cmon Randar---> Great Singleton/ Rowand should never be in the same sentence.....We are better off seeing what Reed can do than either of those clowns

Randar68
10-23-2003, 12:22 PM
Whats that they say about having two starting QBs, then you have none?

Having two mediocre CF isn't exactly knocking my socks off....You know why each looks better from the one side of the plate?

Because they have set the bar lower than for a midget seeing how low he can go

Well I agree they would make a decent platoon pair(though I dont want to see Chris getting a majority of the AB which is likely would happen, and cost is another issue as well)...Saying they are a "great" platoon? Cmon Randar---> Great Singleton/ Rowand should never be in the same sentence.....We are better off seeing what Reed can do than either of those clowns

I agree for the most part. However, having at least one guy who can play excellent defensive CF on your team would be nice. We never had anyone on the roster this year that even looked competent in CF.

Reed would be fine by me if he can legitimately win the spot in spring training.

RichH55
10-23-2003, 07:12 PM
I agree for the most part. However, having at least one guy who can play excellent defensive CF on your team would be nice. We never had anyone on the roster this year that even looked competent in CF.

Reed would be fine by me if he can legitimately win the spot in spring training.

Is it that hard to find a good/great --> a grood defensive DV out there? Especially when the only criteria is defense and speed/base running skills?

The guy doesn't need to walk, or hit for power, or really even hit for average.....But he needs to be cheap...surely this can be found

Note: To piss off those who hate talking about Ex-Sox coming back

If we need speed and defense as a 4th OF---> How about Mckay Christensen?

Randar68
10-24-2003, 12:40 PM
Is it that hard to find a good/great --> a grood defensive DV out there? Especially when the only criteria is defense and speed/base running skills?

The guy doesn't need to walk, or hit for power, or really even hit for average.....But he needs to be cheap...surely this can be found

You think Singleton is going to be expensive? I doubt he signs for anything more than 800K - 1 Million.

RichH55
10-24-2003, 01:50 PM
You think Singleton is going to be expensive? I doubt he signs for anything more than 800K - 1 Million.

Which is double to triple what we should be paying for that spot

Expensive relative to Arod? No

Expensive relative to his role in the league and on this ballclub, certainly

If you are expecting to compete with a 60 million dollar payroll, you can't pay for the luxury of a no walking, no power defensive replacement for 3 times what you could get a very very similar player --> And one who won't bitch about being a 4th OF instead of a Starter to boot

Randar68
10-24-2003, 04:25 PM
Which is double to triple what we should be paying for that spot

Expensive relative to Arod? No

Expensive relative to his role in the league and on this ballclub, certainly

If you are expecting to compete with a 60 million dollar payroll, you can't pay for the luxury of a no walking, no power defensive replacement for 3 times what you could get a very very similar player --> And one who won't bitch about being a 4th OF instead of a Starter to boot

LMAO! If Reed or Borchard don't excel in Spring Training, then we're going into the season with Rowand/Harris in CF???? GOD NO!!!!!!!! *****. It's worth it to pay Singleton 1 million a year to play in the 130 games a year we face Right-handed starters.

His defense is light-years beyond what you could even dream of getting from Rowand. I guess I don't see the aversion you have to Singleton. Pretty non-sensical given the alternatives.

JRIG
10-24-2003, 07:13 PM
LMAO! If Reed or Borchard don't excel in Spring Training, then we're going into the season with Rowand/Harris in CF???? GOD NO!!!!!!!!

Any situaton we have where Willie Harris is going into the season starting anywhere is a future so horrendously bad I can't even think about it.

RichH55
10-25-2003, 03:04 AM
LMAO! If Reed or Borchard don't excel in Spring Training, then we're going into the season with Rowand/Harris in CF???? GOD NO!!!!!!!! *****. It's worth it to pay Singleton 1 million a year to play in the 130 games a year we face Right-handed starters.

His defense is light-years beyond what you could even dream of getting from Rowand. I guess I don't see the aversion you have to Singleton. Pretty non-sensical given the alternatives.

Alright...130 games...no way I want any part of Singelton

He doesn't walk and he doesn't hit for power...it doesn't matter if the pitcher is a rightie, leftie, or the college or cardinals....As a 4th OF cheap, I see him as a viable option

As a starter? In no way shape or form

RichH55
10-25-2003, 03:29 AM

His HR and BB totals if combined from last year add up to just about Paul Konerko's GIDP total