PDA

View Full Version : Corwin Malone?

ChiSox14305635
10-21-2003, 11:30 PM
What happened to this guy? I know he's still in the organization, but did he fall completely off the radar? I remember about 2 years ago, Gammons was hyping this guy like crazy, but now, nothing. Anybody got the 411 on him?

Also, I know he got hurt awhile back, but did he not recover from the arm injury he had?

jeremyb1
10-22-2003, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
What happened to this guy? I know he's still in the organization, but did he fall completely off the radar? I remember about 2 years ago, Gammons was hyping this guy like crazy, but now, nothing. Anybody got the 411 on him?

Also, I know he got hurt awhile back, but did he not recover from the arm injury he had?

He's had minor arm ailments and just hasn't really performed well the last couple seasons. Hard to say if its simply the injuries or what but with young pitchers you tend to think its probably his arm. If so, the fact that he's been struggling for two seasons doesn't speak well towards his long term prospects.

poorme
10-22-2003, 08:25 AM
He's had some minor arm problems, but his statistics have been horrible. Like a walk per inning 6.50 ERA in AA horrible. With any luck, maybe he'll be a middle reliever someday.

Randar68
10-22-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by poorme
He's had some minor arm problems, but his statistics have been horrible. Like a walk per inning 6.50 ERA in AA horrible. With any luck, maybe he'll be a middle reliever someday.

Elbow tendonitis and shoulder problems are not "minor injuries" to a pitcher.

He's still as talented as just about anyone in the Sox organization. 3:1 K:BB rate 2 years ago was no fluke. He hasn't been healthy since. Pitched great in the pre-season finale 2 years ago at Pac Ball and hasn't really been right since.

He spent time in the low minors getting healthy and getting a lot of individual attention/instruction from Kirk Champion.

When healthy, he throws in the 92-93 range with a sweeping slurve and a change-up.

You chicken littles should wait to judge prospects when they're healthy instead of reading the BA stats and coming to uneducated conclusions.

poorme
10-22-2003, 10:32 AM
Silly me for not having high expectations for a guy who's already 23, spent 5 years in the minors, has never shown anything above A ball, has had various arm problems, and has put up horrible numbers the past few years. Of course I'm not as educated as you.

Randar68
10-22-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by poorme
Silly me for not having high expectations for a guy who's already 23, spent 5 years in the minors, has never shown anything above A ball, has had various arm problems, and has put up horrible numbers the past few years. Of course I'm not as educated as you.

He's been injured for 2 straight years! What the hell do you want? So, out of High School, he's been healthy for 3 seasons... Injuries happen to pitchers. They're almost completely unpredictable in most cases. Let's penalize a guy for that before we even see if he can repeat former success if/when he get's healthy.

Yes... Silly you.

poorme
10-22-2003, 10:57 AM
I didn't say release the guy. I just don't have unreasonable expectations. I'm the guy who saw Rauch pitch in A-ball and thought, "Wow, this guy could be the next Bob Scanlan." I'm also the guy who waited about 6 years for Johnny Ruffin to be the next Dwight Gooden. Sorry I'm not all excited about Corwin Malone.

ChiSox14305635
10-22-2003, 11:15 AM
So if Malone is healthy again and regain the curveball I heard many baseball writers rave about, will he regain his "prospect" status, or is he a career minor leaguer. Here's hoping he stays healthy, 'cause he could be very useful in the bullpen, or maybe even the rotation.

Randar68
10-22-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
So if Malone is healthy again and regain the curveball I heard many baseball writers rave about, will he regain his "prospect" status, or is he a career minor leaguer. Here's hoping he stays healthy, 'cause he could be very useful in the bullpen, or maybe even the rotation.

If Malone is healthy, he is definitely a prospect. If not, he's out of baseball. I don't think he'll ever be a "career Minor Leaguer" or a AAAA player like Adkins.

DrCrawdad
10-22-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
...Pitched great in the pre-season finale 2 years ago at Pac Ball and hasn't really been right since...

I remember that start. Great game.

I wish Corwin the best. Hopefully Corwin's health improves and he's contributing to the Sox soon.

http://www.topprospectalert.com/MLRamblings/images/cmalone1.jpg

jeremyb1
10-22-2003, 03:45 PM
Elbow tendonitis and shoulder problems are not "minor injuries" to a pitcher.

He's still as talented as just about anyone in the Sox organization. 3:1 K:BB rate 2 years ago was no fluke. He hasn't been healthy since. Pitched great in the pre-season finale 2 years ago at Pac Ball and hasn't really been right since.

He spent time in the low minors getting healthy and getting a lot of individual attention/instruction from Kirk Champion.

When healthy, he throws in the 92-93 range with a sweeping slurve and a change-up.

You chicken littles should wait to judge prospects when they're healthy instead of reading the BA stats and coming to uneducated conclusions.

The injuries are minor in the sense that they haven't required surgery but you're correct that they are a serious issue. Young pitchers are very frequently derailed by arm injuries and that looks to be the case with Malone. I agree with you if he is completely healthy he might regain his '01 form but I'm skeptical that he'll be completely healthy again. Pitchers don't ussually have two injury riddled seasons in a row at a young age and shake it off.

Randar68
10-22-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
The injuries are minor in the sense that they haven't required surgery but you're correct that they are a serious issue. Young pitchers are very frequently derailed by arm injuries and that looks to be the case with Malone. I agree with you if he is completely healthy he might regain his '01 form but I'm skeptical that he'll be completely healthy again. Pitchers don't ussually have two injury riddled seasons in a row at a young age and shake it off.

I certainly never said that, but people come on here and call players horrible, terrible, they suck, non-prospects, blah blah blah because they have been injured or because they don't have a clue about what's wrong with them????

That's my problem. He has lost a lot of the "Prospect status" because of the serious questions about whether or not he'll ever be healthy again, but it's not because he isn't a good prospect when healthy...

Risk
10-22-2003, 04:38 PM
I met Corwin Malone when he was pitching for the Class A Burlington Bees up in Lansing MI. Had a decent five minute conversation--seemed like a good guy.

What I noticed from his pitching is that he had a cannon arm, but his breaking balls where a little iffy. I was hoping that he would end up being a nice lefty addition to the bullpen since he could throw some great heat like Marte.

Risk

hold2dibber
10-22-2003, 04:39 PM
I certainly never said that, but people come on here and call players horrible, terrible, they suck, non-prospects, blah blah blah because they have been injured or because they don't have a clue about what's wrong with them????

That's my problem. He has lost a lot of the "Prospect status" because of the serious questions about whether or not he'll ever be healthy again, but it's not because he isn't a good prospect when healthy...

I think when you consider whether or not a player (and particularly a pitcher) is a true "prospect" you have to include his history of/susceptability to injury in the equation. And I've never seen Corwin Malone pitch, I personally (for whatever that's worth) don't consider him much of a prospect any more, because of his health issues (which, as I understand it, have been the primary cause of his dreadful performance the last few seasons). He may be great again if he gets healthy, but that seems like a pretty big "if" at this point.