PDA

View Full Version : Last yr 3 rounder update

LongDistanceFan
08-31-2001, 04:49 AM
Tony Richie, Florida St. Freshman - Superb defensive catcher who hit .290 with 3 homers, 14 2B and 30 RBI for the Seminoles in his first full season catching.

How is that for them apples. What a burn.

Randar68
08-31-2001, 10:36 AM
Tony Richie, Florida St. Freshman - Superb defensive catcher who hit .290 with 3 homers, 14 2B and 30 RBI for the Seminoles in his first full season catching.

Zeringue was even better and he'll be the everyday starting catcher as a freshman at LSU....

gret move Jerry

:reinsy

"Who needs catchers, with Josh Paul and Mark Johnson manning that position for years to come, I'd rather waste a couple draft picks and pocket the money..."

Joel Perez
08-31-2001, 12:18 PM
You would've think by now, that if the Sox are going to at least contend in the long term, make a concerted effort to at least get your first 10 rounds of draft picks signed quickly so that they can start off their careers.

My, how much stupidity reigns on the South Side still. If you pick the guys, GET THEM SIGNED!!! What is the deal here??? You don't waste picks on players you can't sign--teams should find that out before they pick them.

I know its easier said than done, but man, do your friggin' homework!!!

FarWestChicago
08-31-2001, 12:54 PM
I know its easier said than done, but man, do your friggin' homework!!!

:KW

You fans are so demanding. Next thing you know you'll expect me to know the names of players I trade for.

LongDistanceFan
08-31-2001, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Joel Perez
You would've think by now, that if the Sox are going to at least contend in the long term, make a concerted effort to at least get your first 10 rounds of draft picks signed quickly so that they can start off their careers.

My, how much stupidity reigns on the South Side still. If you pick the guys, GET THEM SIGNED!!! What is the deal here??? You don't waste picks on players you can't sign--teams should find that out before they pick them.

I know its easier said than done, but man, do your friggin' homework!!! they had a chance at signing both, but didn't want to come up with the money.

I understand that richie wanted at least first round money, but would've accepted a creative deal. He was suppose to have been a first rounder. This yr cat wanted more money than a 3 rounder and would've sign.

Either way i think randar will know about the money and all.

Randar68
08-31-2001, 03:23 PM
they had a chance at signing both, but didn't want to come up with the money.

Richie wanted 1-2 million dollar bonus as a 5th rounder. He was a projected first rounder, but slipped due to signability issues. He still wanted to sign and go pro, but he had a lot of leverage. The Sox blew their load on Borchard, and didn't feel like paying 1st or 2nd round money to him for a 5th rounder, which was semi-understandable, but still frustrating w/ the lack of catching talent in the system

Then, this year, Zeringue asks for basically a 1-1.5 million dollar bonus as a third round (#103 overall) pick. That money would put him at the end of the 1st round to a sandwich pick, which was where he was projected to go. After the Sox payed only about 1/5th the bonus of Joe Borchard to Kris Honel, they had plenty of cash to sign Zeringue, first round talent in the third round. Zeringue was adamant up until the draft that he was definitely going to sign. Despite that, the LSU committment must have weighed heavily on other teams. Zeringue ultimately sighted a "seeming lack of respect" for his reason for not signing.

The Sox blew it 2 years in a row. Rauch was first round talent, but due to his sickness in college slipped. Imagine if we hadn't signed him in the 3rd round.....

2 top talent catchers at bargain picks and available to sign for less that it appeared they would at their projected picks....

JR, you are a cheap bastard who simply likes to frustrate the fans....

LongDistanceFan
08-31-2001, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Richie wanted 1-2 million dollar bonus as a 5th rounder. He was a projected first rounder, but slipped due to signability issues. He still wanted to sign and go pro, but he had a lot of leverage. The Sox blew their load on Borchard, and didn't feel like paying 1st or 2nd round money to him for a 5th rounder, which was semi-understandable, but still frustrating w/ the lack of catching talent in the system

Then, this year, Zeringue asks for basically a 1-1.5 million dollar bonus as a third round (#103 overall) pick. That money would put him at the end of the 1st round to a sandwich pick, which was where he was projected to go. After the Sox payed only about 1/5th the bonus of Joe Borchard to Kris Honel, they had plenty of cash to sign Zeringue, first round talent in the third round. Zeringue was adamant up until the draft that he was definitely going to sign. Despite that, the LSU committment must have weighed heavily on other teams. Zeringue ultimately sighted a "seeming lack of respect" for his reason for not signing.

The Sox blew it 2 years in a row. Rauch was first round talent, but due to his sickness in college slipped. Imagine if we hadn't signed him in the 3rd round.....

2 top talent catchers at bargain picks and available to sign for less that it appeared they would at their projected picks....

JR, you are a cheap bastard who simply likes to frustrate the fans.... Thanks as always w/the info