PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Player in White Sox History

Deadguy
10-21-2003, 06:00 PM
This is a pretty old blog from a "self proclaimed baseball expert", but it's an interesting sabermetric analysis of Frank's career, and why he should be a no brainer for the HOF.

http://www.baseballbeat.blogspot.com/2003_07_01_baseballbeat_archive.html#1059372019664 05036

maurice
10-21-2003, 06:32 PM
Summarizes and supports the feeling held by most posters here:

Despite Thomas' shortcomings as a fielder and as a baserunner, if being one of the five best first basemen and 20 greatest hitters ever isn't worthy of Hall of Fame status, then they may as well shut down Cooperstown.

idseer
10-21-2003, 06:42 PM
whaaaat??? you think thomas is better than walt dropo??? :?:

MRKARNO
10-21-2003, 06:51 PM
The white sox would be stupid to not pay thomas the 10-12 mil when it gets to that point in his current contract

soxfan26
10-21-2003, 07:33 PM
Good Article! I also liked the one about Thomas-Bagwell similarities!

Deadguy
10-21-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by idseer
whaaaat??? you think thomas is better than walt dropo??? :?:

Is the teal font malfunctioning on your computer?

RKMeibalane
10-21-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Summarizes and supports the feeling held by most posters here:

I agree. Frank deserves to be in the HOF. The only question I have regarding his HOF induction is what cap he will be wearing when he goes in. There is still the possibility that he may be playing elsewhere when next season rolls around. However, it would still be a big surprise if he were not with the Sox. I just don't see them letting him walk. Not even Reinsdorf is that stupid.

doublem23
10-21-2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I agree. Frank deserves to be in the HOF. The only question I have regarding his HOF induction is what cap he will be wearing when he goes in. There is still the possibility that he may be playing elsewhere when next season rolls around. However, it would still be a big surprise if he were not with the Sox. I just don't see them letting him walk. Not even Reinsdorf is that stupid.

In a perfect world, there shouldn't be any question about it, but we live in a society that thinks Sammy Sosa is the game's best current ambassador and that he really didn't mean to grab that corked bat or that he honestly put on 50 pounds of pure muscle in 2-3 years.

RKMeibalane
10-21-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
In a perfect world, there shouldn't be any question about it, but we live in a society that thinks Sammy Sosa is the game's best current ambassador and that he really didn't mean to grab that corked bat or that he honestly put on 50 pounds of pure muscle in 2-3 years.

True. When you think about it, it's really a shame that more people don't appreciate what Frank Thomas has done for baseball. Yes, he has said the occasional wrong thing, but that does not in any way justify the intense hatred that some have for him. He has been a great player for many years, and I don't think we'll see anyone like him again.

I can't help but think of Joe Crowley's column, written just after the corked bat incident. In it, he said that he was suprised that people booed Frank Thomas, but cheered Sosa. The primary argument of his article was that it should be the other way around. It's sad that most people don't see it that way.

RichH55
10-22-2003, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

It's not Frank's choice as to the Hat...It is now Cooperstown....and unless he becomes Lazarus I don't think he will get the needed stats elsewhere to offset his White Sox years

idseer
10-22-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Deadguy
Is the teal font malfunctioning on your computer?

i tried that once or twice but i just don't get into the idea that you let someone know before you even read something that it's tongue in cheek.
the whole point is to let the reader wonder if you're serious or not.
:smile: