PDA

View Full Version : Neal Cotts in the AFL

MRKARNO
10-21-2003, 04:36 PM
After a rocky start, Neal Cotts has finally settled down in the Arizona fall league. Here are his Numbers:

W-L ERA K BB IP ER H HR HB WP
0-1 3.07 10 3 14.2 5 14 0 1 1

Last outing
IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
4.0 5 0 0 2 3 0 3.07

The most encouraging numbers have been the walks, but it does seem as though the more people he walks, the less hits he gives up in the long run. Overall I think that if he can keep this up that he might be a good option for the rotation next year.

doublem23
10-21-2003, 04:56 PM
I'll take that K/BB ratio... I'm not sold yet on Cotts as a MLB pitcher (for the present), but he can keep proving me wrong all he wants. :smile:

pudge
10-21-2003, 06:37 PM
Cotts belongs nowhere near the MLB next season.

MRKARNO
10-21-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Cotts belongs nowhere near the MLB next season.

Based on the three outings you saw out of him in the majors?

As far as I'm concerned that's too small of a sample size

MarkEdward
10-21-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Based on the three outings you saw out of him in the majors?

As far as I'm concerned that's too small of a sample size

Maybe he's basing it on the high walk rate Cotts displayed in AA?

I'd like to see Cotts start 2004 in AAA, and give Rauch a spot in the Sox roation (or at least in the bullpen).

Randar68
10-22-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward

I'd like to see Cotts start 2004 in AAA, and give Rauch a spot in the Sox roation (or at least in the bullpen).

I'd like to have an open competition between Rauch, Cotts, and Diaz for the 5th starter spot. I wouldn't base the decision as much on ERA and such, but I'd like to see the walk rates.

When Rauch is pitching well, these days, he isn't going to get 10 K's. However, he'll keep the walks <2 or 3. I'd be happy with that. Don't be fooled by the Arizona air!

The key with Cotts is OBP of the opposition. Not many hit the ball hard off of him, but he has to be more consistent.

thepaulbowski
10-22-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward

Don't they have spring training to figure things out? Let everyone go to spring training and let the cards fall where they may. Remember, if anybody had said that Esteban Loiaza was going to be in the Sox rotation at this time last year, there would have been an uproar.

kittle42
10-22-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
Remember, if anybody had said that Esteban Loiaza was going to be in the Sox rotation at this time last year, there would have been an uproar.

Yeah, I was in the Gil Heredia camp. :smile:

MarkEdward
10-22-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

I'd like to have an open competition between Rauch, Cotts, and Diaz for the 5th starter spot. I wouldn't base the decision as much on ERA and such, but I'd like to see the walk rates.

I think I'd like to see Rauch up with the Sox next year. He's now spent about 150 innings in AAA, and he doesn't have much else to prove in Charlotte. I'd either give him the fifth starter role or long reliever.

Originally posted by thepaulbowski

Don't they have spring training to figure things out?

I wouldn't rely on Spring Training to determine whether a player makes the major league club or not. Very small sample size and the Arizona air will not give you a clear indication of a player's value/ability.

batmanZoSo
10-22-2003, 11:19 PM
What's so hard about throwing strikes at the big league level? He does it all the time in the minors.

Daver
10-22-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
What's so hard about throwing strikes at the big league level? He does it all the time in the minors.

Facing umps that are calling the zone as dictated by the Ques-tec camera system.

soxtalker
10-23-2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo

A bit more pressure also.