PDA

View Full Version : Bullpen

RichH55
10-21-2003, 02:39 PM
Who should be the bullpen next year?

I can see Ginter and Munoz making strong pushs...Gordon and Sullivan probably will not be back(Sullivan for sure will not be)

Marte is solid
Koch is a sunk cost
Wunsch is there as a Leftie
Danny Wright as the long guy(and if you have to be bumped from the rotation, at least you get a role that you can sell to the ladies)

What else am I forgetting

Soxboyrob
10-21-2003, 03:17 PM
Speaking of Munoz...what came of the guy? One minute, he was a next phenom. The next minute, he fell off the radar. How did he do this summer?

doublem23
10-21-2003, 03:22 PM
I would assume Schoenweiss will be there... What's the deal with Sullivan?

SoxxoS
10-21-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
Speaking of Munoz...what came of the guy? One minute, he was a next phenom. The next minute, he fell off the radar. How did he do this summer?

Got absoultely pounded the first month of the season, most attribute it to extreme overworking. He played a full season in 2002, then played winter ball with no time off, that put a lot of strain on his arm. He finished the season well, I know.

Pitched out of the pen, appearing in 49 games. Finished up at 4-3 with a 4.75 ERA. Only have up 52 hits in 55 innings. Struck out 63 and walked 27. Pretty good numbers after those first few weeks.

MRKARNO
10-21-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
[B]...Gordon and Sullivan probably will not be back[B]

Well if KW is serious about concentrating on pitching, gordon will be back next year

hold2dibber
10-21-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Well if KW is serious about concentrating on pitching, gordon will be back next year

KW is serious about concentrating on pitching, but he is, as always, limited by the budgetary restrictions put in place by JR. The Sox sure could use Gordon. I'm sure KW really wants Gordon. But the fact is that payroll will have to be trimmed to afford Gordon under the budget, even if Colon doesn't sign (and if Colon does sign, it would seem that resigning Gordon would be extremely difficult to do, unless someone out there would take Koch off our hands - but why would they do that when they could just sign Gordon for less?).

hold2dibber
10-21-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
What's the deal with Sullivan?

The Sox have a $3.1 mm option on him, or can buy him out for $250,000. No chance they exercise that option (too bad - I'd love to have him back).

AsInWreck
10-21-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

Why? Foulke, Guardado, Hasegawa, Hawkins, Nelson, Arthur Rhodes, and Mike Timlin are all FA's this year. I'd be just as happy or happier w/ any of those guys.

ode to veeck
10-21-2003, 08:12 PM
I think I might take Flash over Foulke at this point ...

gosox41
10-21-2003, 09:44 PM
Who should be the bullpen next year?

I can see Ginter and Munoz making strong pushs...Gordon and Sullivan probably will not be back(Sullivan for sure will not be)

Marte is solid
Koch is a sunk cost
Wunsch is there as a Leftie
Danny Wright as the long guy(and if you have to be bumped from the rotation, at least you get a role that you can sell to the ladies)

What else am I forgetting

I'd like to see the Sox make a strong effort at getting the best starters possible behind Loiaza, Garland, and Buehrle. If the Sox kept Colon and got one more innings eater starter, then I'd be satisifed with a bullpen of:

Marte
Wunsch
Schoenweis
Wright
Ginter
Rauch

I'm all for giving Rauch and Ginter a chance, they can be good relievers. It may look a little suspect on paper, but I think those guys can grow into a decent bullpen.

Bob

voodoochile
10-21-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
I'd like to see the Sox make a strong effort at getting the best starters possible behind Loiaza, Garland, and Buehrle. If the Sox kept Colon and got one more innings eater starter, then I'd be satisifed with a bullpen of:

Marte
Wunsch
Schoenweis
Wright
Ginter
Rauch

I'm all for giving Rauch and Ginter a chance, they can be good relievers. It may look a little suspect on paper, but I think those guys can grow into a decent bullpen.

Bob

I'd like that better if Gordon were back as the closer, but have no problem with the theory. So long as they have a veteran to pitch in the 5-slot.

Lot's of guys available. That means good depth if the team is willing to spend.

AsInWreck
10-21-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by gosox41

Bob

Well, recently the Sox have looked good on paper and come up short, so maybe looking suspect is just what we need to get over the hump.

MRKARNO
10-21-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by AsInWreck
Why? Foulke, Guardado, Hasegawa, Hawkins, Nelson, Arthur Rhodes, and Mike Timlin are all FA's this year. I'd be just as happy or happier w/ any of those guys.

But we'd like to keep the team together ideally, so it's great that they're all on the market because that lowers Gordon's value to the point where the sox should be able to resign him

RichH55
10-21-2003, 10:01 PM
Whats the story on Schoenweiss..I thought he made 1.4 million last year but not sure of contract status for this coming year

The_Floridian
10-21-2003, 10:06 PM
If Gordon is gone, Marte gets the closer role, I think. Then you snag Mike Timlin for your new setup man.

But getting Gordon is preferable.

AsInWreck
10-21-2003, 10:10 PM
Whats the story on Schoenweiss..I thought he made 1.4 million last year but not sure of contract status for this coming year

I think he's still just eligible for arbitration, but I thought the Sox were going to look at him for the 5th spot in the rotation. He'd be kind of redundant in the pen, with Wunsch and Marte, but then again w/ all the left-handed hitters in the Central, maybe it would be effective to have a 3rd lefty.

Re: Gordon, I'd like to keep him, too, but I don't think he's absolutely necessary to put together a good 'pen. I'm sure KW has something up his sleeve either way, let's just hope its not a grenade.

JRIG
10-21-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by AsInWreck
I think he's still just eligible for arbitration, but I thought the Sox were going to look at him for the 5th spot in the rotation. He'd be kind of redundant in the pen, with Wunsch and Marte, but then again w/ all the left-handed hitters in the Central, maybe it would be effective to have a 3rd lefty.

He might be redundant in the pen, but there's a great chance he'll suck as a starter. His career ERA as a starter in over 5.00.

If we must keep him, it's the bullpen for Schoeneweis.

RichH55
10-21-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
He might be redundant in the pen, but there's a great chance he'll suck as a starter. His career ERA as a starter in over 5.00.

With Arbitration he is pretty much guarteed (sic) a raise....I'd like to have him in the bullpen....but not for 2 million per

bc2k
10-22-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by JRIG

Yeah, keep Schoeneweis in the bullpen, sign Colon and a decent #5 starter.

I don't want Gordon back on the Sox. He's going to want a 2-3 year contract and I don't think he's worth it. He whines about his bullpen role and doesn't seem solid from what I've seen of him. I know this is a weak argument, but he's too much of a heart attack. He doesn't have command and throws too many balls. I'd rather Latroy Hawkins set-up Marte. Isn't he a FA?

LASOXFAN
10-22-2003, 02:00 AM
Two words:

BILLY KOCH

No, I am not his agent or press secretary, and no, I'm not currently under the influence.

I think he's going to rebound in a big, big way. Koch was always a bit schizo and losing speed on his fastball turned him into a total bust.

But that's one, count them, ONE, bad season. He's determined to get the velocity back and if he can add another pitch to his arsenal (he was forced to truly "pitch" in the second half) then he'll be a solid closer. Really.

SoxxoS
10-22-2003, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
Two words:

BILLY KOCH

No, I am not his agent or press secretary, and no, I'm not currently under the influence.

I think he's going to rebound in a big, big way. Koch was always a bit schizo and losing speed on his fastball turned him into a total bust.

But that's one, count them, ONE, bad season. He's determined to get the velocity back and if he can add another pitch to his arsenal (he was forced to truly "pitch" in the second half) then he'll be a solid closer. Really.

Put down the crack-pipe.

Just kidding. I actually agree with you. I am not ready to write Koch off of the books yet, after one bad year. Hopefully 4-5 months off will do his arm some good. It better.