PDA

View Full Version : Managerial Interviews


Deadguy
10-21-2003, 02:26 PM
I read somewhere that Jerry Manuel won the job as manager for the White Sox based on his performance during his interview.

I always thought of these interviews as nothing but formalities, with the upper management already considering the leading candidates beforehand, based on past managing experience and reputation.

Who conducts these interviews? The GM?

I read that Ozzie Guillen will interview for the job sometime after October 26. What kind of questions could they ask him that could make or break his candidancy?

SoxxoS
10-21-2003, 02:40 PM
Ozzie, if you were a hot-dog, and you were starving, would you eat yourself?

mandmandm
10-21-2003, 02:49 PM
If memory serves me right I remember details like this:

JM:" No thank you Mr. Reisendorf, I do not smoke fine cigars. I just enjoy the aroma of fine cigars."

Stuff like that sealed the deal.

cwsox
10-21-2003, 02:54 PM
interviews can be pro forma if a candidate is already "selected" or they may be actual real and extensive interviews where strategies, philosophies, etc are laid out as when any corporation hires a manager of a major department

kittle42
10-21-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
What kind of questions could they ask him that could make or break his candidancy?

What's more important: runners on base or solo home runs? You see, the trick is that he has to take into account the fact that once runners get on base, Konerko and Maggs will hit into double plays. These can turn into complicated essay answers.

Lip Man 1
10-21-2003, 06:11 PM
Deadguy asks: "What kind of questions could they ask him that could make or break his candidancy?

Answer: Will you blindly kiss Uncle Jerry's ass anytime he demands it on your hands and knees thanking him for allowing you to be a major league manager? (That's all that really matters to upper management...unquestioned loyalty to Uncle Jerry...even if he is dead wrong. A White Sox manager is not allowed to think for himself and under no circumstances is he allowed to question management's moves or motives.)

Lip

duke of dorwood
10-21-2003, 08:00 PM
Bruce Levine said just after 6 that Gaston is front runner and asking 1.5 mil, and he thinks JR will pay that.

voodoochile
10-21-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Bruce Levine said just after 6 that Gaston is front runner and asking 1.5 mil, and he thinks JR will pay that.

If that's all Cito wants than they will be very stupid to not give him a chance, IMO.

Fits Reinsy's budget and installs a known quantity in the clubhouse. Also gives Reinsy and KW more leeway in terms of blame should things not go well.

gosox41
10-21-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
I read somewhere that Jerry Manuel won the job as manager for the White Sox based on his performance during his interview.

I always thought of these interviews as nothing but formalities, with the upper management already considering the leading candidates beforehand, based on past managing experience and reputation.

Who conducts these interviews? The GM?

I read that Ozzie Guillen will interview for the job sometime after October 26. What kind of questions could they ask him that could make or break his candidancy?

I always got a kick out of hearing about the JM interview. Supposedly after he met with Schu he met with JR. JR claims to have asked him some tough, tricky baseball questions which JM nailed and JR fell in love with him. Or so the story goes.

Bob

voodoochile
10-21-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
I always got a kick out of hearing about the JM interview. Supposedly after he met with Schu he met with JR. JR claims to have asked him some tough, tricky baseball questions which JM nailed and JR fell in love with him. Or so the story goes.

Bob

Ghandi supposedly fasted for a couple of days before the interview and completely lit up the room. Maybe that was the problem with the Sox. He was eating the wrong kind of foods...

:jerry
"Oh man, I shouldn't have had that turkey egg-roll before the game. Between the MSG and the trpytophan, I can barely keep my eyes open... sleepy... oh so sleeeeeeeeppppppy...zzzzzzzzz..."

TornLabrum
10-21-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
If that's all Cito wants than they will be very stupid to not give him a chance, IMO.

Fits Reinsy's budget and installs a known quantity in the clubhouse. Also gives Reinsy and KW more leeway in terms of blame should things not go well.

My sources tell me that Reinsdorf's budget calls for a managerial salary of $150,000.

voodoochile
10-21-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
My sources tell me that Reinsdorf's budget calls for a managerial salary of $150,000.

Tell me that was supposed to be in teal. Please?

You have got to be kidding me. He can't hold it against the team and the fans that JM is an idiot and needs to be replaced. Maybe he is under the impression that anyone other than Manuel can take the Sox to the playoffs, but that is NOT the case. $1.5 M for a manger is peanuts. Do the deal...

soxtalker
10-21-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Tell me that was supposed to be in teal. Please?

You have got to be kidding me. He can't hold it against the team and the fans that JM is an idiot and needs to be replaced. Maybe he is under the impression that anyone other than Manuel can take the Sox to the playoffs, but that is NOT the case. $1.5 M for a manger is peanuts. Do the deal...

I will modify that slightly, as I am not sold on any of the managerial candidates. I can also probably live with either Ozzie or Cito. But they do bring very different approaches and present different risks. I do hope that the interviews are genuine. They need to determine if the manager is on the same page as KW and JR -- not a pushover or "yes man", but someone who at least understands enough how the management above is thinking to be able to influence them.

Win1ForMe
10-21-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Bruce Levine said just after 6 that Gaston is front runner and asking 1.5 mil, and he thinks JR will pay that.

Is that 1.5 per season?